Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You guys ready for summer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the wheel faces ceramic coated with the rest of the car but seeing this will now do the same myself to the backs of the spokes and especially inside the barrels. They are a biatch to clean. Thanks for the idea!

Hey. Just took a close look. One of your wheels was made in China and one in Mexico? Stock? Or did you get a replacement for one?

Those are the stock 20" wheels that came with the car. I'm not too sure if it's two different suppliers or the same supplier with two different factories supply the same part.

Yup, Tesla indeed has a Chinese and Mexican supplier for the Performance 20" rims.

Am I the only one here who takes off their wheels to clean them and then Ceramic coat them?

r17ffbfrh7n21.jpg

I'm waiting a few more days for my new wheels to come in and will pick them up and ceramic coat them myself (including barrels) with Feynlab Ceramic Wheel and Caliper and then return them so new summer tires (which will have Feynlab tire coating applied) can be mounted. Hopefully this will make for very quick washes during the warmer weather and then I'll switch to Feynlab Pure Rinseless during the winter which I'll spray on from a 2 gallon pump.

I've been cheating over the winter and took it to my detailer a few times as they can do hand washing indoors. I do it early on a Saturday morning so I can admire it in the garage all weekend before it gets slammed with all the vagaries of winter.

Am I the only one here who takes off their wheels to clean them and then Ceramic coat them?

r17ffbfrh7n21.jpg
Yeah, that's a good idea. I just had my car coated, and my guy did the tires, but only from the outside. Doing it from all sides would make the seasonal cleanup/storage a bit faster.

Still haven't gotten a chance to get good pics of my car, though it was super fun yesterday to go out and see it pretty much dry with the ceramic coating on it, and what little waterspots that were on it flew off the car as soon as I hit the highway :)

Hey Sandy,

Thanks for the kind words. I really love the look of the new wheels. I'm itching to get my chrome delete done soon to complete the look.

For the driveway, I had it done last summer. Driveway, porch, garden box, pathway in front of the house, sides of the house and a patio in the backyard. It's concrete with an exposed aggregate finish. It provides plenty of grip in the wet/icy months. And yeah, those are stress cuts in it. In the first and third pic, you can see the stamped border as well.

Thanks! I didn’t realize the border was a stamped extension of the same pad but it makes total sense. No shifting of edge pavers or vegetation growth in the cracks.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Great method. My white Model 3 is full of those iron specs, ill try the Meguiar's product. Cheaper than Iron X!

I did mine on Sunday, not a huge job but good enough. I will try to post pics later but it is pi$$ pournign rain at the moment and my car is garage parked at work, so unless it stops raining and the streets dry up in the next 3 hours, it probaly won't be clean.

I did a three bucket wash (3rd bucket is for wheels and wheels brushes only).

First, I used a PH neutral spray Iron remover on the entire car's paint. I let it dwell for about 7 minutes and rinsed it off. I used an entire bottle of Meguair's Ultimate All Wheel Care which was on sale at Canadian Tire. Meguiar's Ultimate All Wheel Cleaner, 709-mL | Canadian Tire

I used Chemical Guys Citrus wash with a dash of ONR in both my rinse and wash buckets as I think it helps with streaking. CWS_301 - Citrus Wash & Gloss Concentrated Car Wash (1 Gal)

Dried the car and then I got to work...

I decided since the car was in pretty good shape it did not need a lot of correction, so I chose to use Meguair's Finishing Wax, D301 Meguiar's® DA Microfiber Finishing Wax, D30116, 16 oz., Liquid | Meguiar's with a Finishing bad. Not very aggressive but still good enough to fix minor imperfections and really make the paint pop and it also leaves behind some protection.

I finished with some Optiseal, not because I love it or because I think it is great but because I am lazy. Optimum Opti-Seal

I finished the tires with Meguiars Hyperdressing, because I have a GLUT of it and need to use it in as many ways as possible. Coincidentally, I am now also brushing me teeth with Hyperdressing.

The car came out great but you'll have to take my word for now!

Getting my chrome delete done today. Excited to see the outcome.
Post pics for sure! Where are you doing it/what is it setting you back/how long are you without the car? I am seriously considering it, but time without a car/cash are my main hurdles right now. Love the look though.

Also, I still didn't get around to getting super good pics of my car, but here's a few that look decent;

upload_2019-5-7_16-2-37.png

upload_2019-5-7_16-3-29.png

upload_2019-5-7_16-4-2.png

upload_2019-5-7_16-6-35.png

Removed my winter wheels and tried putting on my OEM 18"s and as I was tightening with my torque wrench (129lbs) I heard a loud cracking noise. I stopped immediately and put my winter wheel back on without any issue. What am I doing wrong? Been changing wheels for years.

Post pics for sure! Where are you doing it/what is it setting you back/how long are you without the car? I am seriously considering it, but time without a car/cash are my main hurdles right now. Love the look though.

Also, I still didn't get around to getting super good pics of my car, but here's a few that look decent;

Car looks great!

I I just picked mine up from the chrome delete job. It took one day to get done. I dropped it off Monday after work, they worked on it Tuesday and then I got the call to pick it up this morning.

3675FC6A-B356-41D7-840F-0E09FE7C6F77.jpeg
6F57DAE8-DE75-4933-AF15-5D886A7FF519.jpeg
7FFE2D3F-7B44-4098-9AC3-997EEC142E4C.jpeg