Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Young" Tesla drivers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve just turned 28 so I don’t know if I still class as being young :D I was considering switching to a 330e through my company's car scheme but realised the M3 wasn't too much more and the savings in petrol would make the costs similar, or at least thats how I justified it to myself.

I don't personally know of anyone my age or younger that drives an EV or even a hybrid, let alone a Tesla. I don't know if thats down to cost or reluctance to go down the EV route, I suspect it's probably both but I imagine in the future as second hand prices become more reasonable and people become more accepting of EVs we will start to see a lot more younger EV drivers.

Youngish driver here (under 30) - looking to buy (not lease / PCH)this month but via ltd company (IT contractor).

Whilst I could afford it myself, I would not want to spend that much of my savings on it and I consider myself well paid for my age. I doubt many people would use the majority of their savings on one.

Also extra costs of insurance etc. will stop a lot of people buying

It's a lot of money, it shouldn't be surprising that your average <40 year old is not willing to part with 40k for a car! Most people don't want to spend much on a car.

I'm 31 and will be picking up this month, and that took a lot of convincing myself that I could do it. It's true that electric cars have most of their lifetime cost upfront, but you still need that initial capital to pay it.

If it was a choice between a model 3 and a house deposit, I'd choose the deposit, obviously, and that's the choice most people are (and probably should) be making!

Reactions: Nozomi and Adopado
If it was a choice between a model 3 and a house deposit, I'd choose the deposit, obviously, and that's the choice most people are (and probably should) be making!

I'll add pension to that and probably say pay off the mortgage too, but with interest rates so low now, thats not such an obvious choice. When you have a decent pension pot and your largest necessary outgoings are food for the family and council tax, life is much more flexible.

I don't think cost is the biggest factor. Plenty of people my age have M4s, A55S AMGs, R35 GTRs etc on finance, which all cost the same, if not more than my M3P. Difference is, I'm not spending £400pm on fuel any more, which suddenly makes the Model 3 seem a very affordable proposition.

That said, whenever anyone asks what I drive and I tell them, a Tesla, they exclaim 'A Tesla? How can YOU afford a Tesla?'

Reactions: Milky and Beady3647
Will become a Tesla owner tomorrow (M3 LR) turn 30 in November, have worked damn hard to get to the stage where I can afford one, along with a wife, 6 month old son and dog.

I congratulate you! But I will comment on is the working damned hard bit ... it's great to see some justifiable reward when you work hard ... that's great stuff... and how it should be. I just want to acknowledge that there are many people who will work equally hard (maybe a few even harder) and they will absolutely not be able to afford a Tesla! Unfortunately the correlation between how hard a person works and the wealth they accrue isn't quite as strong as we would like it to be!

Reactions: Milky and Fraank
I don't think cost is the biggest factor. Plenty of people my age have M4s, A55S AMGs, R35 GTRs etc on finance, which all cost the same, if not more than my M3P. Difference is, I'm not spending £400pm on fuel any more, which suddenly makes the Model 3 seem a very affordable proposition.

That said, whenever anyone asks what I drive and I tell them, a Tesla, they exclaim 'A Tesla? How can YOU afford a Tesla?'

Maybe only smarter people buy tesla, so they're more likely to wait until they're at a 60% LTV, good pension pot, etc., before buying a nice car? :p

This is more along the lines of my original train of thought when posting this. I see plenty of people around the age of 30 driving brand new M4s and was curious as to why not Tesla if you are in a position to be buying that kind of car. Perhaps I could have worded my original post better.

Its nice to know there a plenty of you out there and hope to see you on the road soon.

This is more along the lines of my original train of thought when posting this. I see plenty of people around the age of 30 driving brand new M4s and was curious as to why not Tesla if you are in a position to be buying that kind of car. Perhaps I could have worded my original post better.

Its nice to know there a plenty of you out there and hope to see you on the road soon.

I think the biggest thing for young male drivers in particular is the 'coolness' factor. For most people an M4/RS3/A45S which make loud noises and have nice interiors are a lot more appealing to our demographic who are buying a car to impress people. Even amongst my friendship group, a Model 3 is seen as more of an old man's car. This is slowly changing though as more of us buy them!

I think part of the issue is that Tesla's aren't very loud; in terms of both looks and sound. They look fairly average and of course don't make any noise. Think most young people paying £50k would want a better looking car which makes a few pops and bangs. Of course there are always exceptions (like myself) which actually quite likes how the car doesn't scream for attention.

I think the biggest thing for young male drivers in particular is the 'coolness' factor. For most people an M4/RS3/A45S which make loud noises and have nice interiors are a lot more appealing to our demographic who are buying a car to impress people. Even amongst my friendship group, a Model 3 is seen as more of an old man's car. This is slowly changing though as more of us buy them!

I think part of the issue is that Tesla's aren't very loud; in terms of both looks and sound. They look fairly average and of course don't make any noise. Think most young people paying £50k would want a better looking car which makes a few pops and bangs. Of course there are always exceptions (like myself) which actually quite likes how the car doesn't scream for attention.

So, reading between the lines, Model 3s are for sensible young people who don't need the help of a loud car to get laid? :oops:

Bought mine as my turning 30 present, it’s a lovely motor and chews the miles up to the city.

Was going to buy it for my turning 29 present last year, but the cat needed a new hip which cost just shy of £8k (thank you groomer her threw her across the garage when she nipped her). We could still of afforded it, but seemed like an unnecessary expense at the time, and thankfully was worth the wait.