Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Model 3 Maximum Range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, the BMS needs a good chance to measure the battery across varying states of charge, so that it can measure the battery voltages.

I went from charging every night to purposely running down to < 20% over a few days, and then charging back up in steps each night.

I'm on Octopus Go, and I use about 20 % a day if I'm in the office.

Normal:
80% Start of the day
70% Arrive at work, car sleeps for 8-9 hours
60% Arrive home, car sleeps for 5-6 hours
+40% Octopus Go 00:30 to 04:30

BMS cycle:
100% Start
90% Arrive at work, car sleeps for 8-9 hours
80% Arrive home, car sleeps for 12 hours
70% Arrive at work, car sleeps for 8-9 hours
60% Arrive home, car sleeps for 12 hours
50% Arrive at work, car sleeps for 8-9 hours
40% Arrive home, car sleeps for 12 hours
30% Arrive at work, car sleeps for 8-9 hours
20% Arrive home, car sleeps for 5-6 hours
+40% Octopus Go 00:30 to 04:30
etc.

In practice, it's got down to 15%-16% by the end of the cycle.

It’s interesting to see that you don’t need to take it right down below 10% to cycle the battery.

Is it important to do this in phases over several days or will a good 280 mile round trip journey in one day work to cycle the battery?

last weekend was a 360 mile holiday over 4 days. That‘s the longest trip the car had from new.
80% was usually about 232 miles. Having returned, 80% is now 242. Trip average was 220Wh/mile
In my March 2020LR I thought the battery was 75kWh if that’s the case then 302 miles full range but then that’s theoretical.
wringing the last milliwatt out of the battery at 220kWh/mile would give about 340 miles

It’s interesting to see that you don’t need to take it right down below 10% to cycle the battery.

Is it important to do this in phases over several days or will a good 280 mile round trip journey in one day work to cycle the battery?
BMS readings and adjustments are done when the car is otherwise idle. It needs the batteries to be just sat there whilst it measures and adjusts. It can't do this whilst you're driving.

2021 SR+ Fremont one was 249 when collected as it was an ex demo, few months is 236. Perhaps because any direction from home I drive involves long graduated hills!

Interesting thread..

May 2021 delivered MIC M3 LR, 3000 miles. I never charge over 90% and this gives me a calculated by Tesla of 310 miles, so at 100% charge gives a theoretical 344 miles. But this is somewhat academic as i never normally drop below 10%. So working between 10% and 90% that gives a realistic working range of 275 miles.

On a normal week I charge it up to 75% using my SyncEV charger every couple of days.

To be honest range isn't an issue as I have more and more confidence in the cars predicted range.

That is what I've started to do, up to 90% and then let it run down to 10 to 15% before charging. My feeling is that as a result the available range shown is now more realistic.
I've had the car since Mid May, now at 3000 miles average energy use 255w/hr per mile. I understand that the battery is a nominal 75kwh, but to prolong battery life I don't use the bottom 10% and the top 10%, so effectively 60kwh = 235 mile range.
But for a long run I do charge to 100% and run down to 5%, so 316 miles is possible, but I work on 300 miles, which is more than either of our ICE cars.
It will be interesting to see how this changes as winter draws on.

That is what I've started to do, up to 90% and then let it run down to 10 to 15% before charging. My feeling is that as a result the available range shown is now more realistic.
The irony is using the full range of the battery gives you the most accurate measure of range but is actually going to degrade the battery faster. If you keep discharging to a low state and or charging up to full since, based on generic tests, Li batteries really prefer to remain in the mid charge range.
So its like the Schrodinger's battery effect you can't know the true condition of your battery without altering it.

Sept 2020 SR+ was 234 miles new. A year and ~6,500 miles later I'm on average ~223 miles. I've never had the guts to go beyond 200 miles in one drive and without hypermiling I don't think I could anyway. Still plenty though.

Aug 2019 SR+. All over the place :p
Screenshot 2021-09-28 at 10.56.58.png

That loss of 5.5% will be due to battery degradation as reported by the BMS. Therefore it may or may not be true, but probably is...
I really don’t think that, it was an ex demo with nearly 3000 miles on When I collected it, and showed 249 at full charge.
I remember driving it for about a month and updating software and it dropped to 236. I thought it’s because I live in a really hilly area and this overall average distance per charge would go down purely based on driving in the terrain.
With my very easy going driving style I’ve got quite a distance out of it on long journeys and remember working out with a little interpolation at 45/50 mph one long journey I figured 250 was do able. I’m very happy anyway, in fact joyed! What brilliant cars!

I really don’t think that, it was an ex demo with nearly 3000 miles on When I collected it, and showed 249 at full charge.
I remember driving it for about a month and updating software and it dropped to 236. I thought it’s because I live in a really hilly area and this overall average distance per charge would go down purely based on driving in the terrain.
With my very easy going driving style I’ve got quite a distance out of it on long journeys and remember working out with a little interpolation at 45/50 mph one long journey I figured 250 was do able. I’m very happy anyway, in fact joyed! What brilliant cars!
The displayed range doesn’t vary with driving style. Tesla basically just use miles for a proxy for available energy, the things that can change that are

- degradation
- temperature, a cold battery can’t hold/give up as much as a warm b
- inaccurate measurement due to drifted calibration
(I can’t think of another,there may be)

We’re about to enter the season of panicked owners reporting lower capacity

I’m curious to know what the maximum displayed range that has ever been shown on your model 3 and how has this changed over time?

I’ll go first:

I have a made in China. 2021 LR Model 3. It uses the LG Chem NMC 77 kWh E5D battery.

The car has been driven 4000 miles and has done most of it’s charging from my 7 kWh Zappi home charger.

When new, the car showed a maximum range of 330 miles. Now 7 months later it’s showing a range of 341 miles in the Tesla App. That’s an increase of 3%.

This 341 miles of range is the most it’s ever shown. It’s 19 miles less than the claimed 360 miles, but I’m certainly not complaining.

What Tesla do you drive and what’s the Maximum miles of range ever shown?

I’m particularly keen to hear from drivers of the LR model.
I have 544 km (338 miles) on a similar M3LR from 26/8-2021 at 4000 km (2486 miles). It has battery code E5CD, which I believe is the LG battery from China, but the car was shipped from Fremont, CA. By the way, I thought the capacity was 74.5 kWh total and about 71.5 kWh available? Greetings from Copenhagen, Denmark

The displayed range doesn’t vary with driving style. Tesla basically just use miles for a proxy for available energy, the things that can change that are

- degradation
- temperature, a cold battery can’t hold/give up as much as a warm b
- inaccurate measurement due to drifted calibration
(I can’t think of another,there may be)

We’re about to enter the season of panicked owners reporting lower capacity
Temperature over the two years I’ve owned the car seems to have zero correlation to the lowest 100% range numbers for me.