Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Model 3 Maximum Range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a clue what I have but on the tesla uk website claiming 360 miles when I ordered so I expect to have what is advertised a upgraded 2021 82kW pack

Initially it was showing 330 miles then at 1000 miles 335 now 2000 miles range is showing 340 miles. all good but not 360 miles.
If you have a 2021 UK destination M3LR made in China then it will have the 75 kWh LG battery pack.

360 mile range is for the official WTLP test which is the standard that all European sold vehicles have to be tested to. The vehicle itself will show you a range that is based on US EPA testing which is lower - so you will never see 360 miles estimated by the vehicle.

If you have a 2021 UK destination M3LR made in China then it will have the 75 kWh LG battery pack.

360 mile range is for the official WTLP test which is the standard that all European sold vehicles have to be tested to. The vehicle itself will show you a range that is based on US EPA testing which is lower - so you will never see 360 miles estimated by the vehicle.
That makes sense BUT I have a claim then on Tesla as I purchased a 360 mile car. This in breach of trade description advertising 360 / 82kw but delivering a 75kw.
How does this stack up on warranty on battery when range drops below 70% I have 360 miles as advertised.... but already down to 330. Not acceptable.

That makes sense BUT I have a claim then on Tesla as I purchased a 360 mile car. This in breach of trade description advertising 360 / 82kw but delivering a 75kw.
How does this stack up on warranty on battery when range drops below 70% I have 360 miles as advertised.... but already down to 330. Not acceptable.
They never claimed the battery size, the 360 has always been the 75 kW the ones with the new 82kW battery in Europe claim 394 miles. These are all WLTP ratings which are a standard of absolute ideal conditions which all manufacturers use and none get close to it in real life. And as previously stated the in car displays calculates to the American EPA standard which is lower than the WLTP so it’ll never show 360.

They never claimed the battery size, the 360 has always been the 75 kW the ones with the new 82kW battery in Europe claim 394 miles. These are all WLTP ratings which are a standard of absolute ideal conditions which all manufacturers use and none get close to it in real life. And as previously stated the in car displays calculates to the American EPA standard which is lower than the WLTP so it’ll never show 360.
Ok so its 360 75KW. So 70% of 360 miles I can claim on the warranty that 252 miles I am only doing 268 not far to go for a claim. Is it 70% of 360 as advertised or 330 or 260 or 200 or 100 or 10. whats the designed range. For me I dont care on USA EU whatever but UK.

Ok so its 360 75KW. So 70% of 360 miles I can claim on the warranty that 252 miles I am only doing 268 not far to go for a claim. Is it 70% of 360 as advertised or 330 or 260 or 200 or 100 or 10. whats the designed range. For me I dont care on USA EU whatever but UK.
It’s the same principle though with an ICE vehicle and mpg, you never get the claimed mpg and you wouldn’t have a claim against them on that, as said wltp is based on very specific scenario and is unrealistic in real world, I dont think it’s a claim you’d win

Several people have tried to explain this. But I will have a go as well. Manufacturers legally have to tell you the WLTP range. It's like the ICE mpg at a constant 56mph. good for comparison no good for actual range. In the car Tesla show the US EPA range which is better and is probably achievable on a warm day on an A road but certainly not on a Motorway in November. Warrentee is based on loss of battery capacity not range. If you want to check that you will need a wiring adaptor. Dongle and the Scan my Tesla App.

Several people have tried to explain this. But I will have a go as well. Manufacturers legally have to tell you the WLTP range. It's like the ICE mpg at a constant 56mph. good for comparison no good for actual range. In the car Tesla show the US EPA range which is better and is probably achievable on a warm day on an A road but certainly not on a Motorway in November. Warrentee is based on loss of battery capacity not range. If you want to check that you will need a wiring adaptor. Dongle and the Scan my Tesla App.
Thanks all I am not trying to be difficult. (I am a process engineer/.scientist).

Ok CAPACITY and this is my big point I dont know what mine is officially so suspect it 75KW as some people previously pointed out.

Ill look at the dongle and app but not a general thing for most people.

So now we are cooking, Just to get to basics as people may have forgot with MPG and petrol car I know the tank size as per manufacture say 50l and fill up run a few miles say 300 miles at 10% left and fill up again to work range works out t 31 mpg say.

The difference is that the tank size does not begin to reduce shrink so next few years I can only put in 40l and run 250 miles still does 31 mpg No I qill will always put in 50l. range may drop as efficiency drops... different story

SO Using charging eliminates a roads, temp, speed rain, tyres, acceleration. If at 50% I put in XXkw to 90% will give a capacity value in kw.

So if my capacity is 75kw, 70% is 22kw charge loss or 12kw from 40% to 90% so instead of 37.5 kw if it only adds 25.5Kw its bad

Ill know this as my range will have dropped big time by 48 miles in the 40 to 90% as I do the same trip every day.

As MrT3 states Tesla does not state the battery size so how can we make a claim.

kWh. Your battery capacity is measured in kWh. In the case of the 75 kWh pack, your warranty would kick in at 75 kWh * 0.7 = 52.5 kWh

If 75 kWh = 340 rated miles (EPA), then warranty kicks in at 340 * 0.7 = 255 rated miles (EPA), which is not to be confused with actual miles driven on a charge.

Reactions: hcdavis3
That makes sense BUT I have a claim then on Tesla as I purchased a 360 mile car. This in breach of trade description advertising 360 / 82kw but delivering a 75kw.l.

Good luck with that one. Tesla have NEVER advertised 'usable' kWh. Not even when cars were named after the battery size.

If you are getting this worried about range claims the next few months of winter isn't going to help, and don't look up the 'Tesla bricked my 85 pack' threads on this forum :).

Tesla doesn't say how they calculate the 70% degredation. So they are effectively judge and jury! Good luck making a claim unless the battery fails completely!
I don't think Scan My Tesla could be used in a warranty claim either...

Usable Kwh is also flexible.

I started with 232 miles in my 2019 SR+ (meant to be 240). It went as low as 201 at one point, but I changed my charging from everyday 90% to letting it sleep at different %. It went up to 218 over a month.

If you're at 330 from 352 (EPA range) you're not far off the expected calendar aging of the 75/77kwh battery.

Reactions: Llama.
Teslamate reckons 330-338 and it seems to be going up :)

Attachments

• M3-range.png
    M3-range.png
    63.6 KB · Views: 112
I ordered, waited then told a date with vin and reg. Picked up the car and had no other written confirmation. could have been anything.... Not acceptable.

.Just had confirmation but not Tesla as I am still waiting for official reply, I am on 75KW bats from China, which makes sense BUT bit annoyed as I thought 2021 was all 82kw especially in the EU. UK are still Europe just not in the European single market. so seems UK got dumped the old bats even though pound is worth more than the euro.

Mine is a Dec 2020 LR MY21 made in Fremont. I'm 99% sure I've got an old (but good) 78kWh Panasonic battery, softlocked to 75kWh to match the newer albeit inferior LG packs which appeared on the continent the following quarter. I've all but confirmed this via Scanmytesla.

Highest range prediction I've seen by the car is 327 miles. Which has only appeared relatively recently, at 11 months and 10k miles old.

If you haven't already it's a super fun rabbit hole to dive down... Range remaining displayed vs. Percentage remaining displayed and how they're different. Then you've got your energy buffer and nominal capacity vs usable capacity... Ha