Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Model S Sequence

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the actual production number will be your P or R number + 2000? That could be well into 2012 or even 2013. :confused:

Hopefully they'll be able to keep their projections of 10,000 cars a year in their Model S production line. If that's the case, even with ramp-up time, they should be able to knock out 2k+ cars in 2012, and have the bugs out.

Here's hoping.

So the actual production number will be your P or R number + 2000? That could be well into 2012 or even 2013. :confused:

I'm pretty sure that the plan is to have the (up to) 2000 Sig Editions (1k in the US and Canada, 1k in Europe) out in late 2011, and then the regular (R and P) models rolling off the assembly line in early 2012. The plan is to have 20,000 built per year, starting in 2012 after they knock out the Sig Editions.

Bottom line, anyone who doesn't get a Sig Edition should assume they'll have to wait until 2012, and that's assuming no production delays. Based on the experience with the Roadster, that's probably not the safest assumption to make. Hopefully it will all be worth the wait!

I don't think anyone would be surprised by a one year delay from current estimates for dates.

That is really the danger with the delays on EVs. I think Peak Oil will be a huge problem and we need this to happen much faster. We need an affordable $20,000 to $30,000 EV that the majority of the population could afford to purchase.

We really need to start reducing our oil demand by 3% per year to deal with expected decline rates for oil supply after Peak.

But I am getting off topic....

Last edited:
^for oil supply now that we're past peak^

There, fixed that for ya.

2 year wait with likely delays? Welcome to my (former) world!

But it was so worth the wait, as the Model S will be...

I am with you on that. I think the only reason oil prices declined from $140 was the economic recession/depression in real estate.

Of course, they say we will only know we hit Peak when we get the data two years after the fact.
And then everyone will debate for a year or two if the data is a supply Peak because of geology or whether it was just recession causing output to decline.

There had been talk of 2000 Signature Series Models S' for a while with 1000 here and 1000 in EU but in the last posting from EM that I read it did say only 1000 Signatures Series would be built. I do not think there was the demand to meet the lofty goal of 2000 cars.

With all the talk of roadster slowdowns, I wonder if it's actually the Model S cannibalizing the sales? I know I'd personally prefer a sedan/fastback over a tincan-sized sports car.

The Model S is more practical in my opinion. With the same range using the second-tier pack, more room inside AND a lower price, it's almost a win-win. The performance on the S is a bit slower, but still great compared to most sedans on the road.

Heck, I bet the Sport edition with the 300 Mile pack would cost less than the roadster, beat its range and come close in performance.

Heck, I bet the Sport edition with the 300 Mile pack would cost less than the roadster, beat its range and come close in performance.

I bet the Sport edition does not have good performance with the 300 mile battery. That is a huge battery. To achieve sub 5 second time 0-60 I suspect it will need the 160 mile battery.

But your theory about the Model S canabalizing Roadster sales probably has some accuracy.