Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zappi install and questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator comment - posts merged from "Zappi install"

Has anybody recently had a zappi charged installed? I have just been quoted £1200 for a 40A Type A RCD, 10m of 6mm cable, Tethered Zappi charger, Hub and Harvi. That is after the grant which seems a bit steep to me. I'm still waiting for other quotes to come in but is this similar to what others have paid? I have solar hence the Zappi and I live in Wiltshire for reference.

Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anybody recently had a zappi charged installed? I have just been quoted £1200 for a 40A Type A RCD, 10m of 6mm cable, Tethered Zappi charger, Hub and Harvi. That is after the grant which seems a bit steep to me. I'm still waiting for other quotes to come in but is this similar to what others have paid? I have solar hence the Zappi and I live in Wiltshire for reference.

Many thanks.
I had mine installed 2 weeks ago and paid £865.60 for a Zappi tethered charger install. It was £12.15.60 then they subtracted the £350 OLEV grant.

Sort of, I took a selection of local installers from their website.
Market forces and costs do vary county to county.
Smaller companies tend to be cheaper hereabouts.
Still a good investment. M3 has done 1166 miles using less than a penny worth of grid electricity.
Outlander has also done about 500 miles since the lockdown started and only done 5 miles on petrol. Electricity was all free.

Moderator comment - posts merged from "Zappi question."

Something that I have always wondered - maybe other Zappi users can help...

Tesla recommend leaving the car plugged in even if not charging so would a Zappi set to Eco+ allow the car to draw current if needed & if not, what is the benefit of it being plugged in?

So can the car force the charger to give a small top up charge whilst 'waiting for surplus'?

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on the eco+ settings the car will only be charged when you have electricity left. So normally in the night it will not charge. If you need this you should set timers that over right the eco. If the Tesla is charged it will start charging every 1-2 hours to top up.

Depending on the eco+ settings the car will only be charged when you have electricity left. So normally in the night it will not charge. If you need this you should set timers that over right the eco. If the Tesla is charged it will start charging every 1-2 hours to top up.
If the Tesla is charged & the timer setting was Eco+ I haven’t seen evidence it will top up every 1-2 hours. As far as I can see it doesn’t continue charging beyond the end of the set timer period.

(Setting a timer on Eco would normally start an immediate charge irrespective of solar or battery surplus so I don’t do that - also confirmed by Myenergi)

I’m asking what’s the benefit of plugging in overnight (as Tesla recommends), whether the car can ask for current & override a Zappi ‘waiting for surplus’ or is this instruction by Tesla only relevant to their own ‘dumb’ charger?

I was thinking that @Drew57 was meaning with the Boost setting ... but maybe I'm wrong.

I’m asking what’s the benefit of plugging in overnight (as Tesla recommends), whether the car can ask for current & override a Zappi ‘waiting for surplus’ or is this instruction by Tesla only relevant to their own ‘dumb’ charger?

Yes, that's the question. Will it respond to a request for a pre-condition in the morning of example. I understand that it won't but I haven't actually tried it.

If the Tesla is charged & the timer setting was Eco+ I haven’t seen evidence it will top up every 1-2 hours. As far as I can see it doesn’t continue charging beyond the end of the set timer period.

(Setting a timer on Eco would normally start an immediate charge irrespective of solar or battery surplus so I don’t do that - also confirmed by Myenergi)

The car cannot override eco+ Whether in car timers are set or not, nor can the Zappi’s eco or fast settings override in-car timers when set

• Informative
Reactions: Drew57 and Adopado
What about the precondition setting on the Zappi? If the car is “fully charged” and then asks for more charge the Zappi should provide this, if the setting is enabled.
Yes that’s true. It worked with my Ioniq in car timer settings running a full charge during off-peak, followed by a pre-warm before departure.
I haven’t used the precondition setting since I got the M3. I guess it would work with two Zappi boosts the same morning, the second just to preheat.

Several replies have confirmed the logic of what I suspected - leaving the car plugged into the Zappi serves no purpose when only mains is available, the charger is set to Eco+ on standby & no timers are set.

So on that basis there is no benefit in following Tesla advice to leave plugged in (setting boost timers for whatever reason would of course override it but I didn't doubt that)