Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zappi Smart Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All good info. Interestingly I am with Powershop at three properties, none of which are on the EV plan. While investigating the deal I see these EV plans involve time of use charges that range from the super cheap tarrif 0000-0400 that may only be 9c depending on which state you live in, to over 40c at peak which is very high (42 in Vic). Whereas my existing Powershop plan is flat rate at 28c 24/7.
So unless one is routinely charging the car every night, to take advantage of the EV tarrif, the higher peak rate for power consumption in the late afternoon and evening could ameliorate quite a bit of the EV gains. Food for thought.
You are quite right about the time of use charge being high 1400-2000. I have a power wall 2 that gets me around that. @Vostok started this thread Fun with Powerwall 2 stats... that goes through some of this stuff in more detail

In my thread Fun with Powerwall 2 stats... I compared the Powershop EV tariff with the non-EV one. It only saved $18 over 4 months based on my usage profile over that time. High solar FIT is king.
That's interesting as I was planning to plug my Powershop usage into a spreadsheet to compare the tariffs as well. My gut feeling before doing the calcs is the EV tariff will save stuff all. But it will necessitate me having to care about what time of day I use power which is a pain. Will report back.

That's interesting as I was planning to plug my Powershop usage into a spreadsheet to compare the tariffs as well. My gut feeling before doing the calcs is the EV tariff will save stuff all. But it will necessitate me having to care about what time of day I use power which is a pain. Will report back.
Do you have or plan to get a battery? If not, you are correct, and you'll need to care more about what time of day you use power. With a battery only 9% of our grid consumption is during peak ToU (which is only 1.7% of the total power we use) so we don't care about it. We only manually timeshift demand for a few things, mainly charging the car, not much effort required.

No plans for a battery.
I just put my last 6 months of powershop 30 minute usage data into a Spreadsheet. In comparing my current flat rate of 23 c/kWh to the TOU EV plan prior to owning an EV, I can see it would have cost me $304 more on the EV plan! To break even I have to charge an EV only in the Super off peak periods (0000-0400 ) and charge it more than 15kwh every single day!

As I don't have a car yet I am only guessing avg daily power consumption. Can someone give me an estimate. How many kwh does a model 3 pull from your house each week. If I charged the car 40kwh every single night I would be $500 better off after 6 months on the EV plan. The gains on the EV plan would be nothing like this if I got some of the charge at other times of the day or used significantly less than 40kwh a day. Bit of smoke and mirrors in these EV plans IMO.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
As I don't have a car yet I am only guessing avg daily power consumption. Can someone give me an estimate. How many kwh does a model 3 pull from your house each week
That depends on how much one drives (and how aggressively :cool:). The easiest way is to estimate how many k’s you drive per year and multiply it by the car’s efficiency. Our LEAF over the past 5 years has averaged 140 Wh/km. Model 3 is a little worse than this (it’s a bigger, heavier and more powerful car) - people report anything from 150 Wh/km to 200. There’s some wall-to battery losses when charging but it gives you an idea.

• Informative
Perfect thanks. 15,000km year at 180 Wh/km equates to 7.4 kWh a day. That is only half the 15 kWh a day usage I reckon I need to break even on a Powershop EV plan. Would cost me over $300 more a year to be on their EV plan, if I drive 15,000km and charged them all from home at the best possible times. That in itself is impractical. It would probably actually cost me more than $300 because I would sometimes charge for convenience at exorbitant rates.
Seems to me the Powershop EV plan could would work for people who are already on a TOU plan and are simply gaining the benefit of the super off peak period.

Perfect thanks. 15,000km year at 180 Wh/km equates to 7.4 kWh a day. That is only half the 15 kWh a day usage I reckon I need to break even on a Powershop EV plan. Would cost me over $300 more a year to be on their EV plan, if I drive 15,000km and charged them all from home at the best possible times. That in itself is impractical. It would probably actually cost me more than $300 because I would sometimes charge for convenience at exorbitant rates.
Seems to me the Powershop EV plan could would work for people who are already on a TOU plan and are simply gaining the benefit of the super off peak period.
The battery is what makes the numbers stack up for me and looks like @Vostok ’s exports make it stack up for him. Despite the push to make pricing transparent it has been very helpful for me to see how individual circumstances affect power costs.

I did the calcs again using last 12 months of usage. Definately better for me to skip the EV plan.

upload_2019-11-25_12-4-59.png

Zappi could still be useful for me too. But car will only be at solar property infrequently. I think it is better suited for when a car lives at the solar site at can be connected most days when the sun is shining.

• Informative
I've just discovered that the Telsa supplied charger is not "smart" in that it will draw energy from the grid if it needs to. I now realise that Tesla a going to supply me a product which won't be useful to me as I want to maximise my solar charging from panels.
That was a really helpful video Scully, thanks.

I charge during the day from an outdoor power outlet (a GPO), The GPO is behind a relay which is connected to our fronius inverter. It isn’t perfect, but I have reasonable results with power coming on once 1000W threshold is reached.

I only use the wall charger at night in cases when Ive done enough driving that the battery drops significantly lower than 50%.

I charge during the day from an outdoor power outlet (a GPO), The GPO is behind a relay which is connected to our fronius inverter. It isn’t perfect, but I have reasonable results with power coming on once 1000W threshold is reached.

I only use the wall charger at night in cases when Ive done enough driving that the battery drops significantly lower than 50%.

I'm not sure what that means, "behind the relay". If behind the inverter, do you mean it's feeding DC to your car?

I'm not sure what that means, "behind the relay". If behind the inverter, do you mean it's feeding DC to your car?

Just normal AC mobile connector plugged into a GPO. The relay controls the supply of power to the GPO. It simply turns on when a threshold of solar power is available and then turns off when it isn’t.

A very crude solution, but it works.

https://www.drivezero.com.au/charging/review-myenergi-zappi-ev-charger/

Quote from article "I’ve got 6kW of solar panels on my roof and the Zappi is the only charger out there that will let me charge my EV purely from the sun."

So am I right thinking that no battery required, and that the zappi will switch its charge rate to suit say any model Tesla ,

its about 1100 + sparky hookup to sub board. the writer was indicating around $2k including supply and fit, but that is a lot less than a Tesla powerwall, if the main thing you want to do is charge a Tesla.

So I thought I would ask if anyone has one, how they find it operationally and bang for the buck ?

I should also add that Zappi is not the only option for using solar to charge.
SolarEdge has an inverter with a charger built in.
Not as convenient, as the inverter and the car need to be in close proximity of each other, which is not my case.

Hi Anubis, thanks for your posts! I had not seen the other posts before-- so if a moderator wants to . can merge this into the other one, or just close this one - Thanks