Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zero Mile club

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
done it twice, once in, I think it was febish 2013, in a massive ice/snow storm, car was brand new then, and I didn't realize that I had been killing the range with seat heaters and defrosters running full blast, also air suspension was on low plowing through 12 inches of snow... barely limped into the Supercharger (the only one we had in Metro DC at the time) - some crappy mall in Maryland...I don't think its there anymore. Scared the crap out of my and wife and two kids... we almost dumped the car after that, but then realized how stupid I was. Funny thing was another guy was at the SC with his car also covered in ice grinning from ear to ear that he had made it too... I remember mall security was really cool and opened up the mall so we could go to bathroom. I let the guard sit in my car and jam out while he warmed up in the Model S. Came back and he was grinning from ear to ear also...

Second time was again in 2013 headed down to my farm in SW Virginia, made it to a KOA to charge....

Got close to it again in Jan. 22-24, 2016: Snowstorm Jonas, a near blizzard, covered Dulles Airport’s runways with 29 inches and blanketed parts of West Virginia with 42 inches. Wind gusts reached 75 miles per hour along Virginia’s coast. Jonas blew in almost 18 inches of snow at Reagan-National Airport and tied with the Feb. 5-6, 2010, storm as the fourth heaviest since Washington started keeping records in 1884. Jonas was the single biggest snowstorm on record in parts of Pennsylvania and New York.

Last edited:
Since the start of the stay-at-home orders, i have put 0 miles on my Tesla. almost everything gets delivered, my wife took her car to the grocery store just a couple times which is only a mile away. I work from home, so my commute is just down the stairs.

I miss driving!

Who else is in the Zero (or nearly zero) mile cornonavirus stay-at-home club?

I hadn't driven my car in so long, I went out today in the rain and while driving, hit the park button on right stick instead of left stick. I forgot how to do the windshield wipers. What a doofus. I'm surprised I didn't have to relearn how to do the easing up on accelerator to brake.

I’m not sure you read the initial post...
LOLOLOL.

You are right... I saw zero mile and thought it meant "how low did you go"

I'm definitely not in the zero mile club, we believe COVID swept through my house early, all of us had it after my 10 day trip to Italy in Dec. I was down for 28 days, worst flu I have ever had, felt like I was ripping my lungs out when I was coughing, I got so weak from the coughing, and my chest hurt from the muscle spasms. Went to the doc in the box, they gave me a Strep test and sent me home.

Our company just got anti-body tests kits, but HR hasn't come up for a viable policy on how to use or deploy them. Hoping that I have the antibodies for this strain.

I've been out "masked up" taking care of my mother in law (83) and keeping us supplied with food/booze/etc. It amazes me how many idiots are here in Virginia walking around in the stores around others with no masks. Guess they don't give a damn about the elderly or compromised or the employee that have to service them.

I don't leave home without a P100 filter on my face, not catching that bug again!!!!

iu

Probably not a good idea to leave the car stationary for too long, drive it a little every once a while to prevent flat spots on the tires.
So are you referring to as "probably" the reason? :) My cars sit a lot during the last 4 years of driving just occasionally. Those theoretical flat spots rotate out after just a couple miles. Wonder what I'm not understanding that I haven't seen. ;)

Based on the common usage of the phrase “mile high club”, I expected the topic of this thread to be something else. :rolleyes:

I’m volunteering for a local food bank and doing residential food deliveries to people who for a variety of reasons aren’t going to the grocery store at the moment. So even though I am temporarily not working at my regular job, my Model 3 is getting good exercise most days.

Regarding the comment early in the thread about driving the car to avoid flat spots on the tires, I believe that your car would have to sit for many weeks if not months on very cold ground before the tires would develop a permanent flat spot. See Flatspotting – When Your Tire Sits too Long in One Place . So not likely to happen now that the weather is warming up.

• Funny
Reactions: smartypnz
I don't buy the flat spot theory. Had to go to Spain years ago for a short time (3 weeks). But it turned into 19 months. Meanwhile my Chevy sat back in the US in the driveway (outside) thru all seasons untouched. Thought first I would do was get tires changed, oil, etc. But after a couple miles, the thumping slowly dissipated. Yes, I still changed oil, tran fluid, etc.
But, our Tesla's (S and 3) don't need the fluid so much.

On the occasion that I am out driving, I noticed the freeways are definitely faster. I was cruising at 90mph and a Camaro flew by me like I was in reverse. Also a buddy of mine took his P3D up to 153mph. It can actually get kinda scary out there.
Just because traffic is light, that is not an excuse to break the law. I’ve seen plenty of CHP on duty in the Bay Area. Going 90+ is going to cost you hundreds of dollars and 153 is an automatic loss of license.

Don’t be irresponsible and endanger the lives of those on the road with you.

I alternate between my Model X and my wife's Volt and try to take each out at least once a week, needed or not but I mange to always find some reason. I did do one 250 mile round trip a couple weeks ago in the X to pickup some PPE and it felt great.

It's funny how much we take for granted, just driving, being with other people (even ones you might not like at work ;)).

Not sure how long everyone is willing to sit in this holding pattern. I think after 4 more weeks things will start to really break down.

Should it all go down... Wondering if it will be more dangerous lining up at a gas pump or a charging station during such chaos?... I mean, at least TESLA owners seem kind, right?

Just an FYI FWIW... IMO and that of an ICE mechanic I sometimes use, there's at least a few reasons to give cars a run every week or so, especially those kept outside:
* To scrub surface rust off brake discs... Mechanic said one reason we had more trouble w/little-used Armada brakes was because it was little used. This applies to our Teslas & w/regen thing may need to explicitly cause brakes to engage.
* To circulate fluids (coolants, oils, etc), keeping seals from drying out, surface rust from forming, etc.
* To discourage critters from nesting in various dark spaces under vehicle. I posted related experiences in "Rodent Damage" thread here, though perhaps more applicable to ICE cars kept outside. This particular problem has caused me some grief w/ICE cars.