Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

0-60 After Update 36.2.4 M3 SR+ 5.14sec

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recorded the screen with an iPhone at 240 frames/sec (slo-mo). From the instant I saw the power bar move until the first frame showing "60" mph was 1233 frames. 1233 divided by 240 = 5.1375 seconds. In reducing this video from 240 fps down to 30 fps for YouTube it clipped the last frame which showed the 60mph. That's why you see "59" in the last frame in this clip. Also, this road is not 35mph speed limit like the screen says; it's 55.

This is very similar to the method I have used on my SR+ to see how quickly it can go from 0-60mph.

So how accurate is this? Instead of using radar or GPS, can we reasonably trust that the TM3 screen accurately shows the MPH right away as it happens?

Just curious what others think, as I feel that this is pretty accurate.

Something to try: iPhones have very sensitive accelerometers. There are apps (eg. Tesla Stats app) that make use of this for 0-60 times. Basically, they start the very moment the car starts moving.

You can hit "stop" when going 60 mph. If you don't want to rely on the car's speedometer or the speed readout on the phone, you can do 1/4 mile timing. Find a sparsely traveled, flat road that is in good shape, stake out a quarter mile for start/stop, and then go for it.

If you want to compare your measurement to published 0-60 times and drag strips, they begin counting when the car has moved 1 foot (rollout). The timing trigger at a drag strip needs to see movement before it triggers.

This 1 foot rollout is pretty similar to when the car displays 2-3mph on the display, so you should be counting from 3mph to 60mph. That will give you a sub 5 second 0-60 time.

Rollout (drag racing) - Wikipedia

Reactions: badiban
If you want to compare your measurement to published 0-60 times and drag strips, they begin counting when the car has moved 1 foot (rollout). The timing trigger at a drag strip needs to see movement before it triggers.

Kind of...

#s published in US magazines (and by US car companies generally?) Yes.

#s published by say german car companies? Usually no. They tend to publish "real" numbers without rollout....(which often leads to folks insisting german car # are sandbaged when they see R&T or someone running better #s, because they don't realize this difference in measurement)

Tesla is the only genuinely deceptive car company here- since they publish WITH rollout for P models, and withOUT rollout for non-P models (and make it extremely hard to find that fact out anymore- it used to be more prominently published)

If Dragy added track support, they would be a GREAT option. I'm currently thinking about an Aim Solo 2 but it's more than twice the price of Dragy, though it has some more functionality...

Scan my Tesla is another option as they get data at over 500hz directly from the vehicle via CAN, so it's fairly accurate ignoring satellites/GPS or accelerometer error.