Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1.5 Roadster Tire Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, I was going by what others seem to get from theirs, which seems to be more like 12,000. My tires are markedly more worn on the inner edges and then even everywhere else. They were that way when I bought the car and I've put about 2,500 miles on them since buying the car about 6 months ago. How do you get even wear? Is your wear unusual for a roadster or is mine?

Considering I only get about 8,000 miles out of the rear AD07's, and that's with even wear, for don't see much point in rotating side-to-side.

Below are pictures of my left and right rear tires about 1000 miles ago.

Attachments

• IMG_3579.JPG
    IMG_3579.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_3580.JPG
    IMG_3580.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 189
The only way I know of to prevent the wear on the inside is to reduce the negative camber to bring it closer to 0 deg instead of spec -1.8 deg. You pay a price for doing this. You'll notice a significant reduction in performance. I find that I'm usually down to the wear bars in the middle of the tire by the time the inside edge is worn so far to be a hazard, so no point in changing alignment to reduce the inside wear.

Reactions: dhrivnak
OOPS I was wrong will get like 12,000 out of the Pilot Super Sports not 20,000.
I'm running the Pilot Super Sports in the back and already have 11,000 miles on them. I'll see if I can get a tread depth measurement, but they still look fantastic, and have very little road noise. I estimate they have another 6000 miles left. However... I did zero autocrossing this summer. They've mostly seen daily driving and some "spirited" drives in the mountains. I notice they break free a hair sooner than the AD07s, but overall I like them better.

I'm running the Pilot Super Sports in the back and already have 11,000 miles on them. I'll see if I can get a tread depth measurement, but they still look fantastic, and have very little road noise. I estimate they have another 6000 miles left. However... I did zero autocrossing this summer. They've mostly seen daily driving and some "spirited" drives in the mountains. I notice they break free a hair sooner than the AD07s, but overall I like them better.
I got 12k and 15k out of my last 2 sets of Pilot Super Sports.

A review of my Roadster records shows that I get about 9K out of the rears (that's based on two tire replacement cycles) and 25K on the fronts (have only replaced them once). I bought my car in late 2014 with 12K on the odometer and now it shows almost 33K.

This week I am having AD08's installed at the rear for the first time. It will be interesting to see if they last significantly longer than 9K. I hope they do because they are more expensive. If they don't last at least 3K longer I'll go back to AD07's next time.
Followup: had to replace my rear ADO8’s with only 7K miles on them! So they didn’t last as long as the AD07’s which were going to 9K or more. Disappointing. Went back to AD07’s in the rear. Fronts are still good, of course.

My AD08's lasted 16 vs 14 for AD07. Maybe your fun quotient increased?
Your rears last that long? Mine never get anywhere near that kind of mileage. I’m happy if I get 10K, but before this most recent change I was getting 9K. On the fronts I get around 25K.

I am confident that I am driving my car in the same manner now as I have been for the past 3 1/2 years. No change.

Replaced my tires, Michelin Pilot Sport 4Ss in the rear and AD07s in the front. Excited to see how long the last. I had heard good things about the Super Sports. I'll update this thread when I reach 10k miles. So far so good!

Replaced my tires, Michelin Pilot Sport 4Ss in the rear and AD07s in the front. Excited to see how long the last. I had heard good things about the Super Sports. I'll update this thread when I reach 10k miles. So far so good!

I have those tires on the rear and they are absolutely fun and amazing. Luckily the seller replaced them shortly before I bought mine so should be good for awhile!

Has anyone tried the new(?) Yokohama Advan A052’s on the rear? They look to be an update of the A048’s, but with a much increased tread wear rating, 200 instead of 60. That’s better than the AD07’s and the same as the AD08’s. However, the initial tread depth matches the A048’s at 6/32”, which is much lower than the AD07’s (10/32”) and the AD08’s (9/32”).

I was due for my NYS state inspection and of course my rear Michelin Pilot Super Sports are worn down to the wear bar and they won't pass me until I replace them. All that spirited driving!

I can't find the Super Sports anywhere and my only option it seems are the AD07s at least on TireRack. I got them for about $183 each for the two rear 225/45ZR17.

Is there anything special for the shop to lift the Roadster? I'm paranoid about that whole lift adapter thing. The shop specializes in European imports so no doubt they have experience with Lotus (hopefully). My other option is going to a Tesla SC, but I'm not sure how much of an arm and a leg they'd charge.

It's very simple: Forget using a lift. You cannot put the Roadster on a lift without lift adapters, and your shop does not have them. Tell them they have to use a floor jack with a rubber pad and correct lifting points. I throw my own racing jack in the trunk when I do tires now because my tire shop's jacks don't always fit with a rubber pad on the top.

• Informative
Reactions: RobsJester
Rubber pad? Oops...

When I got my tires changed recently, I simply told the clerk that they had to use the jack, and look specifically for the single jack point on the underside of the car. And that if they did it wrong they could total the car. That got their attention!

Also you might remind them to not use the air gun on the bolts, especially on the locking one. See my saga earlier in the thread. 77 ft-lbs of torque, too.