Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 million miles battery retrofit for old models

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys,
I own a 2018 model X 75D and I have been torn between whether to trade it for a model Y since the MY has more range but the trade didn't do so well as Tesla devalued my X too much.
I have been hearing about the million miles battery coming up. Do you guys think there is any chance that Tesla would retrofit old models that will give them more range (for a charge of course)?
Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Emmanuel

It is usually cheaper to just sell your old car and buy a new one than to buy a new battery.

In addition the newer cars get far better mileage than the older ones because of better technology. More than just the battery.

New $75,000 Model S Long Range + gets over 400 miles EPA.

Sell your X yourself for more money and buy a new X for $79,995.

I upgraded by X75 and was blow away about how much better the new ones are. Just the new Adaptable Suspension is worth the price of admission.

Don't get hung up on the trade in quotes. IF you shop around and do a little work you can get much more.

nope. Seriously doubt that will be an option to update the pack.
now that you said it (about bring devalued so much), what about that statement from Elon some time ago that our cars would actually appreciate. I laughed so hard at the statement that my stomach hurt for 2 days. :D I guess he was not that serious.

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude
It is usually cheaper to just sell your old car and buy a new one than to buy a new battery.
In addition the newer cars get far better mileage than the older ones because of better technology. More than just the battery.
I upgraded by X75 and was blow away about how much better the new ones are. Just the new Adaptable Suspension is worth the price of admission.
Don't get hung up on the trade in quotes. IF you shop around and do a little work you can get much more.

Amen to all that !

Reactions: wreighven
Emmanuel, May I ask how much they devalued your 2018 Model X? I’m just curious how much value Teslas retain.
Sure,
My 2018 MX has 8500 miles on it. I don't drive it much. It also has FSD HW2.5.
They initially offered me $73000 in Feb which I thought was fair right before the cover-19. But because all the plants were closed, I couldn't get my model Y until recently. The MY was finally brought to Tesla dealership but they had to run the trade in calculation again and now from $73k it went down to $63K. I asked why that drop and they replied saying that with cover-19 the value of used cars went down.
I was so disappointed and went ahead and cancelled my order.
I haven't driven the card from Feb to June. There you have it. :)

Thanks for your suggestion Paul but I am not ready to shed that much money anymore and that's why I wanted to get a smaller and more efficient crossover like the MY. :)

Reactions: E Dizzle

Excluding any talk about pros/cons of swapping new cars, been able to retrofit/upgrade the battery in any EV has to be supported in the longterm if we are to buy into the belief EV are actually 'green' and better for the environment.

The potential to swap out the battery pack of an EV for a newer/better pack without having to waste the manufacturing resource already put into the rest of the car would be a massive win for EVs in the never ending 'are EVs green' debate.

We all know Elon says alot of things, but been able to upgrade the battery packs of Teslas have always been promised in the past, but we all know what Elon is like with words. However he has just managed to launch astronauts for NASA, is delivering on FSD upgrades, offering MCU2 updates, so who knows, if he will allow Tesla to deliver on battery upgrades.

elon-musk-tweet-2.jpg

Reactions: aesculus
Excluding any talk about pros/cons of swapping new cars, been able to retrofit/upgrade the battery in any EV has to be supported in the longterm if we are to buy into the belief EV are actually 'green' and better for the environment.

The potential to swap out the battery pack of an EV for a newer/better pack without having to waste the manufacturing resource already put into the rest of the car would be a massive win for EVs in the never ending 'are EVs green' debate.

We all know Elon says alot of things, but been able to upgrade the battery packs of Teslas have always been promised in the past, but we all know what Elon is like with words. However he has just managed to launch astronauts for NASA, is delivering on FSD upgrades, offering MCU2 updates, so who knows, if he will allow Tesla to deliver on battery upgrades.

elon-musk-tweet-2.jpg
Thank you. That post was in 2014. Let's hope this will happen soon. I love my 75D MX because of the 7 seaters and the cargo. The only thing I hate is the range. Would be nice if the range could be extended with a battery upgrade.

Guys,
I own a 2018 model X 75D and I have been torn between whether to trade it for a model Y since the MY has more range but the trade didn't do so well as Tesla devalued my X too much.
I have been hearing about the million miles battery coming up. Do you guys think there is any chance that Tesla would retrofit old models that will give them more range (for a charge of course)?
Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Emmanuel

Id say it’s about as likely as the chances of doing a 100kwh battery swap on your 75D

Humm, that certainly can be done. Tesla does it regularly in the loaner vehicles.

Can be and willing to are two different things.

There's fundamentally very little difference between a 60/75/90/100 in terms of the car. If they would be willing to take the time to swap out your pack, they would be willing to do that regardless of whether it's a battery pack upgrade in terms of size, or in terms of durability.

We've seen Tesla temporarily offer it to some 90 pack owners; but resist offering it as a general upgrade due to shipping costs, time required of a service center, etc. Tesla would rather you buy a new car.

Can be and willing to are two different things.

There's fundamentally very little difference between a 60/75/90/100 in terms of the car. If they would be willing to take the time to swap out your pack, they would be willing to do that regardless of whether it's a battery pack upgrade in terms of size, or in terms of durability.

We've seen Tesla temporarily offer it to some 90 pack owners; but resist offering it as a general upgrade due to shipping costs, time required of a service center, etc. Tesla would rather you buy a new car.

I asked this once here, they were quite open to making a swap if I get my hands on a different pack. At that point they did not have prices for buying the packs, but I suppose this will change over time.