Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10.8 FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get that he said “probably”, but the least he could do is send out a tweet saying it’s delayed so people don’t just sit around and wait hoping for it to show up.
My theory is Elon sends these tweets out to amuse himself. It's his only form of entertainment to read all the comments from people like us who have nothing more important in their lives than to dissect hidden meaning from every word about firmware updates. Remember the convoluted math puzzles pointing to stock split on 12/9?

Reactions: wildguess
My theory is Elon sends these tweets out to amuse himself. It's his only form of entertainment to read all the comments from people like us who have nothing more important in their lives than to dissect hidden meaning from every word about firmware updates. Remember the convoluted math puzzles pointing to stock split on 12/9?
It's simpler than that .. remember that kid at school who ALWAYS wanted to be the first one to tell everyone about something important (or he though was important)?

On the total confusion about me not getting autopark. I finally got to test my Model Y that is not on FSD beta that got updated immediately to 36.5.1 after I opted out of the FSD queue-- It does have autopark for vacant parking lots now.
Same here, still on beta, and was driving through an empty parking lot today and the auto park option came up. It just won't let you use it if cars are within 100 yards

Reactions: TravelFree
44.6 looks like latest public release, so it's what people in queue should be getting, until you enter FSD beta, far as I can tell.
I see, from what I understood was that the beta branch is different from the public and those in the queue get locked to a certain build till they get the beta. I recall the unreleased 10.7 was 2021.44.5.5 which would make 2021.44.6 ahead of it. Unless the 10.8 beta build is based on 2021.44.6.x hence why I was confused as to why my car was updated to 44.6 while queued for the beta.

In the early 80's General Dynamics was having huge problems getting the M1 tank line started in Warren Michigan.

The President of the company, Oliver Boileau moved his office from Corp headquarters in St Louis to a 12' X 12' cube dead smack in the middle of the factory until they got the line running.

Don't make them like that anymore.

Well it’s midnight EST. Not seeing any rollout, for FSD beta or production. Going to sleep, as at this point I’m convinced I’m just wasting my time staying up. Elon has once again disappointed with false time frames.

I get that he said “probably”, but the least he could do is send out a tweet saying it’s delayed so people don’t just sit around and wait hoping for it to show up.
Why in the world would you have expected any kind of wide scale rollout at midnight EST? They have all been rolled out in incremental waves starting at pacific time not EST. Besides Elon said "probably" and experience tells us it will take time so just be patient. Why set yourself up for disappointment?

Well it’s midnight EST. Not seeing any rollout, for FSD beta or production. Going to sleep, as at this point I’m convinced I’m just wasting my time staying up. Elon has once again disappointed with false time frames.

The number of people "affected" by this cliffhanger is so small, it's hardly worth it to clarify a tweet where he clearly hedged with "probably." Maybe the problem is with the people so obsessed that they willingly lose sleep to wait for a firmware update and then gripe when it's not ready on a not-guaranteed time.

The Christmas update doesn’t seem that exciting. The yearnment is confusing for me. I could understand if we was getting 360 view or something, but all we are getting is sonic and the ability to bring up the side repeater automatically.

Reactions: jebinc
Why in the world would you have expected any kind of wide scale rollout at midnight EST? They have all been rolled out in incremental waves starting at pacific time not EST. Besides Elon said "probably" and experience tells us it will take time so just be patient. Why set yourself up for disappointment?
Why is everyone so caught up on the time I mentioned lolol. I was simply saying that’s my current time and my patience ran out for the night so I’m going to sleep. I didn’t expect a release at midnight, I was hoping for it to be on time for once, which would be anytime on Tuesday.

Reactions: jebinc
The Christmas update doesn’t seem that exciting. The yearnment is confusing for me. I could understand if we was getting 360 view or something, but all we are getting is sonic and the ability to bring up the side repeater automatically.
I want 10.8 so maybe I can finally use FSD with my girl in the car without it making her nauseous. The sugar Nintendo games I can do without. Starting to sound like “console quality games” are going to be game boy quality games 😅

So each car could have a different update package.
You may be right but I have a hard time believing that is how they are doing it. Seems insanely work intensive.

I feel Tesla should have every tester with same model/year on the same software and all testers updated at the same time. I'd hate to manage the testing process if what you say is true.

Reactions: Ramphex
Unless Tesla has changed things, the update process only sends the differences between the version you have and the version you are going to. (So each car could have a different update package.)
That's not how software releases are done. From what I can see, Tesla's branching strategy is to cut production branches off of a master, which is cumulative of all tested features. Each production branch is a complete collection of the OS and all features deemed ready for that release. Regardless of what version an individual car is currently on, the new release can be applied and replace what was on there.

That's not how software releases are done. From what I can see, Tesla's branching strategy is to cut production branches off of a master, which is cumulative of all tested features. Each production branch is a complete collection of the OS and all features deemed ready for that release. Regardless of what version an individual car is currently on, the new release can be applied and replace what was on there.
You may be slightly mixing up the software build process from the delivery mechanism. It’s possible that Tesla uses deltas between versions to reduce bandwidth when they send out updates. Those would not be car specific but rather version specific as in M3 2021.36.5 -> M3 2021.46.5. The car would then ‘assemble’ the new release from the version it has plus the delta. There would be some type of checksum process as well to verify that the end result is right. If a vehicle was on a way off track release, it may just have to pull down the whole thing. It’s also entirely possible that they don’t do anything like that.

For examples of stuff like this, see DeltaRPM that is used by some Linux distros.