Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D is here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh wow. Just took delivery of an inventory S90D on 31 Dec due to the "must buy by EOY" to get free super charging for life—traded in 2014 S85. Upgraded primarily for the range. Can I now "unlock" this range for $3K or is this new battery hardware that I've missed out on?

Oh wow. Just took delivery of an inventory S90D on 31 Dec due to the "must buy by EOY" to get free super charging for life—traded in 2014 S85. Upgraded primarily for the range. Can I now "unlock" this range for $3K or is this new battery hardware that I've missed out on?

Probably not ... the battery technology is different in the current 90 vs new 100 packs

Last edited:
Anyone any idea if current X orders (with VIN but not in production, or without VIN), would get bumped automatically to 100D?

Since they are selling the 90D alongside the 100D, I would expect not. If you order 90D, you get a 90D at the moment.

Now, historically this has been until 90D's are sold out (and maybe to entice order upgrades from current 90D buyers). It may be that at some lucky point in time a 90D order could get bumped to 100D hardware, when that transition to 100D only reaches a certain point, but probably not right now.

There is currently no indication that software-limited 90Ds with 100D packs are out there. Precedent doesn't exclude the possibility, but at the moment that is probably not happening. Tesla still sells the 90D and will probably sell it for some time untili it sells out. This has been the pattern before...

So, is anyone taking bets for those of us that have existing orders not in production that if we switch to the 100d if we will be allowed to keep unlimited supercharging?
Several people have asked in Norway. You can't keep unlimited supercharging.

(That the 100D is becoming available now that the unlimited supercharging has ended isn't *random*. They boosted Q4 orders with the end of unlimited supercharging, now they're boosting Q1 orders with the 100D.)

It about time 100kWh pack made it to the non-P model.

So, is anyone taking bets for those of us that have existing orders not in production that if we switch to the 100d if we will be allowed to keep unlimited supercharging?

Seems rather convenient that Tesla would release this right after they retired unlimited supercharging.
This will be a selling point to relieve those with range anxiety that are crying that SC's are now limited.

As I asked in a different thread,

I have 2 X 90Ds on order

My questions are:

1. Are these 90Ds actually 100D packs?

2. Can I upgrade to 100D now and not lose free Supercharging?

3. Can I upgrade to 100D later and continue to supercharge for free for life?

Hope there is a blog post about this

Several people have asked in Norway. You can't keep unlimited supercharging.

(That the 100D is becoming available now that the unlimited supercharging has ended isn't *random*. They boosted Q4 orders with the end of unlimited supercharging, now they're boosting Q1 orders with the 100D.)

Good info, thanks.

I'd also like to note the unlimited Supercharging is a way to discourage people from walking away from existing orders made before January 15th. They probably fiddled with that cut-off timing to optimize 90D orders and 100D availability... It may make that "now old" 90D (of which they probably made some stock cars too) look much more interesting and palatable...

As I asked in a different thread,

I have 2 X 90Ds on order

My questions are:

1. Are these 90Ds actually 100D packs?

2. Can I upgrade to 100D now and not lose free Supercharging?

3. Can I upgrade to 100D later and continue to supercharge for free for life?

Hope there is a blog post about this

1. I seriously doubt it. There is no indication of that at this stage. Historically, maybe at some later date during the transition there might be short period of shipping 90D orders as software-limited 100D but that is not guaranteed and, anyway, is not likely to happen right now when Tesla still likely has 90 kWh battery stock left to sell (which is why 90D remains alongside 100D on the Design Studio).

2. According to @Yggdrasill upthread, 100D upgrades to orders would lose free unlimited Supercharging.

3. Good question. Assuming 100 kWh battery upgrade is/becomes available to the 90D, it could very well be an avenue to keep the unlimited Supercharging.