TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

100kwh battery in P model only

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Wattup, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Wattup

Wattup Member

The 100kwh battery announced this morning only shows as being available in the P100D. Sounds like they are supply constrained on these batteries and the option is not yet showing in the Austraian DS.

2. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

I'd pay 20k to upgrade my 85 battery.
    Not for the acceleration, but for the range: an upgrade to the 90 would seem too small to bother, but this is a useful jump...

3. NovoCasGreeny

NovoCasGreeny Member

I've ordered my P90D and it still hasn't entered production......the choices the choices!!!

4. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Member

Go for it, 0-100 in 2.7 for 5 seat passenger car, totally unnecessary, totally over the top, just go for it, don't forget to order the plates.

• Like x 1
  5. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

I like the way you think...

• Like x 2
  6. ZTrekus

ZTrekus Member

My theory is that the 100 battery only moderately increases the range of the vehicle and it is actually wholly unnecessary if one is travelling from supercharger to supercharger which are designed to accommodate even the smallest of batteries. Tesla knows this and so they have cleverly marketed it towards the P of the car - ie acceleration - knowing that speed nut jobs will fork out anything in that regard. I mean thousands of bucks for a ludicrous upgrade from an insane upgrade. I fell for it! Many others will for the 100 battery - for sure.

And as for gauging the market - Tesla has also protected themselves in that regard too by explicitly stating that the high price that their wonderful nut job customers are prepared to pay helps fund the research into Model 3. How altruistic is that?

• Funny x 2
  7. NovoCasGreeny

NovoCasGreeny Member

Got my call from Tesla and you cannot upgrade to a P100D only to a P100DL. Makes the upgrade from my P90D (was planning on waiting six months on ludicrous) to a P100DL over $50,000 so about $30,000 for 10 kWh, the pure cost is over AU$15000 plus LCT and on roads. Just cannot justify that with the build out of superchargers and three phase nullifying the vast majority of the benefit of the extra 10 kWh. Maybe in a few years I might plum for an upgrade once the cost of batteries comes down and a pretty big upgrade is available. The new battery format may yield better range and they may tweak it again in 12 months to be even better and prices will comes down once the GF is online.

• Like x 1
  8. NovoCasGreeny

NovoCasGreeny Member

So I didn't update my P90D to a P100DL, and I still ended up with a delay of over a month on my car!!