Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100kwh battery in P model only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My theory is that the 100 battery only moderately increases the range of the vehicle and it is actually wholly unnecessary if one is travelling from supercharger to supercharger which are designed to accommodate even the smallest of batteries. Tesla knows this and so they have cleverly marketed it towards the P of the car - ie acceleration - knowing that speed nut jobs will fork out anything in that regard. I mean thousands of bucks for a ludicrous upgrade from an insane upgrade. I fell for it! Many others will for the 100 battery - for sure.

And as for gauging the market - Tesla has also protected themselves in that regard too by explicitly stating that the high price that their wonderful nut job customers are prepared to pay helps fund the research into Model 3. How altruistic is that?

• Funny
Reactions: AndrewNSW and alpal
Got my call from Tesla and you cannot upgrade to a P100D only to a P100DL. Makes the upgrade from my P90D (was planning on waiting six months on ludicrous) to a P100DL over $50,000 so about $30,000 for 10 kWh, the pure cost is over AU$15000 plus LCT and on roads. Just cannot justify that with the build out of superchargers and three phase nullifying the vast majority of the benefit of the extra 10 kWh. Maybe in a few years I might plum for an upgrade once the cost of batteries comes down and a pretty big upgrade is available. The new battery format may yield better range and they may tweak it again in 12 months to be even better and prices will comes down once the GF is online.

Reactions: RichardMcN