Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

11 miles lost in 12 Hrs LR AWD / 59F / No Sentry / No Climate on Is this normail?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I lost 11 miles of range while parked over night at (60F - 58F). I made sure no sentry or climate on. Is this normal for a LR car? Where is my battery energy going? I thought this temperate is perfect for battery to be happy. (I did not check status using app during this time.)

I lost 11 miles of range while parked over night at (60F - 58F). I made sure no sentry or climate on. Is this normal for a LR car? Where is my battery energy going? I thought this temperate is perfect for battery to be happy. (I did not check status using app during this time.)

That's higher than normal. Try rebooting the screen and see if that resolves your issue.

Is your phone close to the car? I think I read somewhere if you're connected via bluetooth it drains more batt
Bluetooth (phone) is not close to car. (Car locks it self when I walk away) Used to be 2-3 miles overnight of phantom drain loss. Only change to me is temerature drop to around 60F. Used to be around 70F in Dallas. Was wondering if battery heating kicked in. But I guess battery heating would start at much lower temps?

@borugee that seems a little excessive. Have you changed your charging patterns recently? (ie. Charging more? Emptying the batter more? Supercharging? etc.) I believe I've read that that can make sure battery adjust so it might throw off your actual "displayed" range. Are you losing 12 miles every night or was it a one time thing. Unfortunately, if you go to Tesla, they might just tell you that it's normal

@borugee that seems a little excessive. Have you changed your charging patterns recently? (ie. Charging more? Emptying the batter more? Supercharging? etc.) I believe I've read that that can make sure battery adjust so it might throw off your actual "displayed" range. Are you losing 12 miles every night or was it a one time thing. Unfortunately, if you go to Tesla, they might just tell you that it's normal
No charging pattern change. I normally charge upto 60-70%. (My commute during weekdays is short - I have 20 miles of commute and same amount is wasted by phantom drain - not a good situation ;-) ). No supercharging yet. 10 miles in 12 Hours is first time for today only , car is 3 weeks old and new, this is the first night below 60F. So I thought it is going to be like this when it is cold. Since I bough car 3 weeks ago, temp stayed above 60F. I had a Leaf before, While Leaf had many other issues, it didn't loose miles like tesla does either cold or hot and was surprised to find out how much energy is drained over-night. So came to forum to find out. I have already rebooted my M3 now. Will leave tonight and see if that helps.

Last edited:
Do you notice the bms cooling running ? It's getting a lot warmer here and i wonder how much that will affect drain.
Do not know how and where to check the BMS cooling system is - can you help will check next time? At these temperatures, I don't think it need to cool or heat battery as this is perfect temp for LiION batteries. What temps should cooling or heating should start? Do you have cooling / heating temperature threasholds? May be there is a fault on the system? Possible.

Do not know how and where to check the BMS cooling system is - can you help will check next time? At these temperatures, I don't think it need to cool or heat battery as this is perfect temp for LiION batteries. What temps should cooling or heating should start? Do you have cooling / heating temperature threasholds? May be there is a fault on the system? Possible.

It's not going to heat or cool on a mild day. Cooling won't kick in until it's well over 100F and heating won't kick in unless it's well below 0F if you aren't charging.

Do you have cabin overheat protection on? The car can heat up inside if sitting in the sun even if its not super hot outside but the windows closed. Mine is outside in our driveway frequently and I will notice it comes on in the afternoon and keeps the car under 104F. I also believe what fan speed you leave it on can play a part in the amount of battery range loss as well but just my speculation.

Other than that any apps that check in on your car?

Do you have cabin overheat protection on? The car can heat up inside if sitting in the sun even if its not super hot outside but the windows closed. Mine is outside in our driveway frequently and I will notice it comes on in the afternoon and keeps the car under 104F. I also believe what fan speed you leave it on can play a part in the amount of battery range loss as well but just my speculation.
Other than that any apps that check in on your car?

To reiterate ;
  • Cabin Overheat Protection Off (Temp is < 60F not relevent anyway)
  • Climate Control Off
  • This happened During Night (Parked at night - No impact from sun)
  • No Sentry / No Alarm (Not Sure if there is drain for alarm - but off)
  • No apps installed using my account
  • Wifi Off
  • FW : 12.1.2
  • No Wakeups during this period
Cannot think of anyother setting to drain battery. I verified these settings.

Last edited:
I've noticed when connected to WiFi that my car will often stay awake at night for several hours, I assume to upload collected AP related data. Usually, the battery drain is no more than a few miles; but on occasion, it's been as many miles as you mentioned. Try temporarily disconnecting from WiFi or disabling data sharing to see if it makes a difference.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Dre78 and Big Earl
When you said “no climate on” I thought you were referring to the Keep Climate On setting which when you leave will keep the interior at the temp set, not cabin overheat protection so wanted to throw COP out as a consideration and wasn’t sure which 12 hr period this was over.

• Helpful
Reactions: borugee