Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

11 miles lost in 12 Hrs LR AWD / 59F / No Sentry / No Climate on Is this normail?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i had the same issue and disabled stats and teslafi for the time being and just running the tesla app. it's either one of them or both causing the issue. i'm planning to re-enable teslafi after the weekend to rule out either one.

I had the same configuration and unfortunately it was Stats that was never letting my car sleep. I had the complication on my Apple Watch so it is possible that was the culprit.

I disabled it now and according to Teslafi, it sleeps like a baby.

Bluetooth (phone) is not close to car. (Car locks it self when I walk away) Used to be 2-3 miles overnight of phantom drain loss. Only change to me is temerature drop to around 60F. Used to be around 70F in Dallas. Was wondering if battery heating kicked in. But I guess battery heating would start at much lower temps?

Battery heating on it’s own doesn’t start until like -20F. It’s not battery heating. And if it was heating it would be worse. That is the rate you lose battery if the car is not sleeping. There are some we’ll known things that prevent sleep and after those are dealt with it’s all speculation over what causes it.

Mine has been stable, finally, for about a month. And it’s still been cool. Much cooler than 60F.

I had the same configuration and unfortunately it was Stats that was never letting my car sleep. I had the complication on my Apple Watch so it is possible that was the culprit.

I’d like to start a web site with a kWh (or perhaps mega Wh is more appropriate unit) meter running that tallies the total number kWh wasted with “apps” from all cars.

As far as I’m concerned no app has zero waste. All apps need to wake the car to talk to it. Waking the car when it would not normally wake uses more battery than it would otherwise. You can reduce the waste but you can’t eliminate it.

The stats are nice to have. But I’m not wasting 1 Wh on it.

As far as I’m concerned no app has zero waste. All apps need to wake the car to talk to it. Waking the car when it would not normally wake uses more battery than it would otherwise. You can reduce the waste but you can’t eliminate it.

The stats are nice to have. But I’m not wasting 1 Wh on it.
Yep.
It annoys me to think that the car is waking up to a ~ 300 watt level just to tell my range.

Here is what happened yesterday night.
Loss of 1 mile1 for the last 12 Hrs period :) compared to 11 miles of Loss for 12 Hrs :( previous night. This is normal - loosing 2-3 miles a day is what I have been seen previously.
What changed from previous night.
1. Reboot of the car.
2. Temp is little higher in low 60's than the previous night

No idea why I lost 11 miles on the previous night, must be car was awake talking to mothership for no reason? or temp. (I think 50's - temp is not a concern). Or it is possible that car's computer had some stuck process which got killed with my reboot.

Here is what I learned from you guys in this forum who have contributed in this thread), what could impact battery drain.
For everyones benefit For Phantom drain here are the things that could impact loss of battery drain. You can try these settings
  • Cabin Climate Control drain battery
  • Cabin Overheat protection drain battery
  • Sentry mode drain battery
  • Wifi can drain battery
  • Extenal apps / Teslafi / 3rd Party apps can drain battery
  • Tesla app can drain battery when parked and accessed, do not use it unless you absolutely need to access.
  • Very Cold (Below 0F) or Very High Temps (Above 100F) - BMS can kick in and loose battery and is normal.
  • Keeping bluetooth (phone) close to car can drain battery
  • Charging pattern can change miles left (Better measure seems to be measing % loss rather than miles loss)
  • Firmware updates can change battery drain patterns
  • Data Sharing option may be turned off for testing / troubleshooting (Not recommended)
  • Recent Visits to Service center - SC may start downloading logs for diagnostics etc.

Thank you all.

Last edited:
Reactions: mswlogo
[Cut]

[Cut]

Teslafi never wakes your car for stats monitoring settings. It may keep it awake longer once woken (especially with incorrect sleep settings).

This is one of the primary benefits of teslafi for me - I can check on the car's last reported temps, location, lock status etc *without* waking it and wasting battery (which is what would happen if I opened the Tesla app).

It was around high 60 last night in my garage about low 70 and noticed my bms was on blowing. I’m on 12.1.2. Didn’t noticed before but that may account for the lost. Perhaps 12.1.2 is a bit more sensitive to bms cooling?

Teslafi never wakes your car for stats monitoring settings. It may keep it awake longer once woken (especially with incorrect sleep settings).

This is one of the primary benefits of teslafi for me - I can check on the car's last reported temps, location, lock status etc *without* waking it and wasting battery (which is what would happen if I opened the Tesla app).

If it doesn’t wake the car to gets stats why does it need sleep settings? Sleep settings are to reduce the the number of wakes during times you know the car won’t be in use. If it polls the car while it’s awake any way, no harm done. So you can manage it some but it will wake it. And your kidding yourself to think it doesn’t. If it doesn’t poll the car enough the stats you get will be erratic/useless. And I wouldn’t rely on an app to me how long it thinks it’s sleeping.

Here is what happened yesterday night.
Loss of 1 mile1 for the last 12 Hrs period :) compared to 11 miles of Loss for 12 Hrs :( previous night. This is normal - loosing 2-3 miles a day is what I have been seen previously.
What changed from previous night.
1. Reboot of the car.
2. Temp is little higher in low 60's than the previous night

No idea why I lost 11 miles on the previous night, must be car was awake talking to mothership for no reason? or temp. (I think 50's - temp is not a concern). Or it is possible that car's computer had some stuck process which got killed with my reboot.

Here is what I learned from you guys in this forum who have contributed in this thread), what could impact battery drain.
For everyones benefit For Phantom drain here are the things that could impact loss of battery drain. You can try these settings
  • Cabin Climate Control drain battery
  • Cabin Overheat protection drain battery
  • Sentry mode drain battery
  • Wifi can drain battery
  • Extenal apps / Teslafi / 3rd Party apps can drain battery
  • Tesla app can drain battery when parked and accessed, do not use it unless you absolutely need to access.
  • Very Cold (Below 0F) or Very High Temps (Above 100F) - BMS can kick in and loose battery and is normal.
  • Keeping bluetooth (phone) close to car can drain battery
  • Charging pattern can change miles left (Better measure seems to be measing % loss rather than miles loss)
  • Firmware updates can change battery drain patterns
  • Data Sharing option may be turned off for testing / troubleshooting (Not recommended)
  • Recent Visits to Service center - SC may start downloading logs for diagnostics etc.

Thank you all.

Glad it’s back to normal. It was probably either doing some extra communication with Tesla or some process got stuck, keeping the car awake, and the reboot fixed it.

If it doesn’t wake the car to gets stats why does it need sleep settings? Sleep settings are to reduce the the number of wakes during times you know the car won’t be in use. If it polls the car while it’s awake any way, no harm done. So you can manage it some but it will wake it. And your kidding yourself to think it doesn’t. If it doesn’t poll the car enough the stats you get will be erratic/useless. And I wouldn’t rely on an app to me how long it thinks it’s sleeping.

It is important to understand how some of these products work and what value you can get out of them.

Think of teslafi sleep settings as "how to allow the car to go to sleep" settings (since that's entirely what they are). It is not at all to do with reducing the number of wakes (as per previous post - teslafi *never* wakes your car and unless you explicitly request it via the web or api interface). I've written a couple of tesla API apps and also an android teslafi API app so I am somewhat familiar with the underlying mechanisms in use (teslafi have their own API for the data they generate but I don't think the docs are public).

On using using an app to understand sleep patterns: I think teslafi is a great choice for understanding sleep and idle states - it provides the tesla api data overlaid with useful statistics. A copy of the raw data is also trivially available through the teslafi interface. Without /some/ kind of more detailed telemetry, you really have no idea what your car is doing, how long it was doing it for and what the exact battery drain was.

i re-enabled teslafi again without stats this time. sleeping like a baby. i've had countless issues with stats over the past. not sure if i'll re-enable it anytime soon.

Installed my XM radio today, noticed I was at 211 miles from 215 in just a few hours so once I was done with the XM radio, I turned everything I could off, WiFi & Bluetooth are also off and Sentry & TeslaCam. The only thing that running is LTE and Sharing Data with Tesla. Time was 2:20pm will check back in 3 hours to see where I’m at.

Fred

4 hours later I’m down to 209 from 211, yes only 2 miles but when you add it up in 12 hours it’s a lot. With everything off, the only thing it could be is Data sharing

201 miles at 10:40pm because I drove it tonight, will see what the morning brings me, turning off Data share and mobile access to see.

Fred

Last edited:
Found the problem guys, this morning 6:12am I woke the car up to find what I left it last night 201 miles. The culprit is DATA SHARING, I’m guessing these are jamming in the data 24/7 uploading to Tesla which is actually good. But now you know if you are going to an extended trip with limited charging, disable this feature momentarily.

The “Allow Mobile Access” switch is for your phone’s connection, I couldn’t wake up the car with it off.so I had to get in the car to turn it back on under Safety & Security.

Note that twice I had manually turned off the WiFi to find it re-activated by itself. So with the WiFi being on all night, it did not consume any range and the Bluetooth reconnect once I got back in the car.

Disable Data Sharing for those with high Range loss to see if it stops, it did for me.

Fred

D05D6625-015C-4B5E-B6A9-46F8FE26E085.jpeg

Last edited:
Now that the car is awake and with the door open to keep it awake and with the Data Sharing off, you can hear the Camera firing, it fires every 20 seconds. With the door close and the car goes to sleep the Camera stops shooting after a while. So every 20 seconds you can hear a Cluck cluck sound.

Fred

9B6876D3-345C-4608-8D7E-4BB3FC7F577E.jpeg

Look at the time, 6:56am 200 miles and 2.5 hours later 9:26am the same 200 miles. Yes it’s the Data Sharing that’s eating up miles. I say turn this off while you are home. No video clips needed from your garage all night.

Fred

99690F5F-1313-4144-971A-FE66244A9914.jpeg
A1998164-F8E8-4C2D-BA67-17C66B3AF4A0.jpeg