Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

11 miles lost in 12 Hrs LR AWD / 59F / No Sentry / No Climate on Is this normail?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed when connected to WiFi that my car will often stay awake at night for several hours, I assume to upload collected AP related data. Usually, the battery drain is no more than a few miles; but on occasion, it's been as many miles as you mentioned. Try temporarily disconnecting from WiFi or disabling data sharing to see if it makes a difference.
Wif is - Off
Data Sharing option is on - You mention it works only when Wifi is on. Or does it work on LTE? Should I keep it off for tonight?

Reactions: Leafdriver333
Do not know how and where to check the BMS cooling system is - can you help will check next time? At these temperatures, I don't think it need to cool or heat battery as this is perfect temp for LiION batteries. What temps should cooling or heating should start? Do you have cooling / heating temperature threasholds? May be there is a fault on the system? Possible.

Low whirring noise from front of car behind the frunk. Ideal range is like 80F a Tesla tech told me. Nothing adjustable. Just a thought. Call or visit your friendly Tesla service center and maybe they can talk you though it all. I would not worry so much.

Reactions: borugee
I am having the same issue and I haven’t been able to figure it out for over a month. Car will lose roughly 1 mile/ per hr. There will be a random day in the week where car will only lose like 1 mile in 20 hours too so it’s really odd to understand what’s causing it to consistently drain at the 1mile per hour rate and then all of a sudden have 0 drain on a random day.

I wonder if maybe many people would experience this issue if they didn’t charge their car every night. I charge mine roughly once a week so it becomes very noticeable when I get in it in the morning.

I’ve tried disconnecting from Wifi and hard closing the TESLA app, but neither has helped. I do have the dash cam enabled, but have never used sentry mode.

No teenage children in the house?
They seem to go to bed after me and my room is not above the garage so I don't hear the garage door opening and closing.
I don't check the Odometer everyday...

No Teslafi?
It is not an App so I thought I would ask.

FWIW I caught my BMS running hours after I parked today. 12.1.2 car was in an open garage, unplugged, with about 115 miles range left. Thought it a bit odd as the weather was maybe 70s and the car had been parked. I don't use TeslaFi. Shut off eventually but not sure why it was on at all.

Otherwise I usually get 1-2 miles drain a night as I've started charging less often (call me careful but I like to minimize wear on stuff like the charge port door motor).

Otherwise I usually get 1-2 miles drain a night as I've started charging less often (call me careful but I like to minimize wear on stuff like the charge port door motor).

I have taken the opposite approach. I charge nightly and use every feature I can on my car as much as possible figuring if anything is going to break I want it to break before the four year warranty expires. If I baby the car I might prevent some things from breaking prematurely and end up needing to fix everything right after the warranty expires.

Let me try to answer all questions.

1. @Leafdriver333 : No teenage children, messing with car.
2. Like @vjason I too do not have the car charged everyday as my commute is short. (Trying to maintain charge between 40%-70%). So my loss is noticeable to me during night. Getting close to 1 mile / hr of loss
3. @zhu- : No service appointments recently.
4. Previously I replied with no dashcam. I do not have a separate dashcam, but I do use tasla dashcam feature when driving. I never thought it is being used during parked. Should I be concerned? (No sentry mode on though)

Eitherway I will report tonight what will happen. One thing to note is temperature has risen here in Dallas to low 80's. So tonight, it will be 1. after a reboot. 2. temp back to low 80's.

Thank you all.

I wouldn’t worry too much about occasional excessive drain unless it becomes a regular routine. It could have just been an anomaly that we won’t ever know for sure what caused it. Keep an eye on the trend to see if it’s really a problem or just an occasional occurrence.

I wouldn’t worry too much about occasional excessive drain unless it becomes a regular routine. It could have just been an anomaly that we won’t ever know for sure what caused it. Keep an eye on the trend to see if it’s really a problem or just an occasional occurrence.

Right. Sometimes the cars stay up late at night talking to the mothership.

Reactions: AZRI11 and Dre78
I've been noticing with 12.x that my car hasn't been going to sleep right away. It used to sleep 10-30 minutes after parking, but lately it can take several hours or not sleep at all. I can monitor the state of the car by looking at my router logs to see if it's connected to the wifi. Last night I parked it at 11pm and it never went to sleep. Today I parked it at 230pm and it went to sleep at 5:30pm. The car is plugged in during these times.

• Informative
I've been noticing with 12.x that my car hasn't been going to sleep right away. It used to sleep 10-30 minutes after parking, but lately it can take several hours or not sleep at all. I can monitor the state of the car by looking at my router logs to see if it's connected to the wifi. Last night I parked it at 11pm and it never went to sleep. Today I parked it at 230pm and it went to sleep at 5:30pm. The car is plugged in during these times.

Do you have teslafi/stats/ or any other 3rd party apps? Read my post from before but I disabled my 3rd party apps couple days ago and car sleeps flawlessly.

Plan to do a test which one is keeping the car awake soon

Do you have teslafi/stats/ or any other 3rd party apps? Read my post from before but I disabled my 3rd party apps couple days ago and car sleeps flawlessly.

Plan to do a test which one is keeping the car awake soon

Not using teslafi or any other tesla stats app. I do have a tesla plugin for tasker but its used to push commands to the car that I would initiate manually, nothing that would poll the car regularly.

i had the same issue and disabled stats and teslafi for the time being and just running the tesla app. it's either one of them or both causing the issue. i'm planning to re-enable teslafi after the weekend to rule out either one.

You should be able to tell from teslafi stats where battery drain is going - idle vs sleep and drain each minute when not asleep and total drain for each sleep period. There's also help->raw data feed for a breakdown of what teslafi was doing and what the car was doing on a per minute basis.

I think tools like teslafi should be one of the first things to reach for when you have strange battery drain.

You should be able to tell from teslafi stats where battery drain is going - idle vs sleep and drain each minute when not asleep and total drain for each sleep period. There's also help->raw data feed for a breakdown of what teslafi was doing and what the car was doing on a per minute basis.

I think tools like teslafi should be one of the first things to reach for when you have strange battery drain.

Yup I agree and did that. My car was idling for hours across all night. No reason why then it’d sleep for couple min then idle again.

That’s what made me think it was either teslafi or stats which I disabled both for time being. The car has been sleeping flawlessly for time being.