Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

110 W vs Wall Connector or Nema 15

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So just wondering how significant of a charge will you get when you go from a 110w to a Nema 15 or Wall Connector?

I know that if I have to charge overnight to 90% (full charge), I am fine if I'm around 80% with only 110W. So basically, it's fine for a round trip from house to work. Commute isn't far, only like 12.5 miles, with room to spare for errands or lunch in the area.

But if I do round trip from OC to LA, like a 50 mile drive each way, then I will have like 30% from a 90% full charge. And charging from 30% is not gonna do much on 110w. I will need to supercharge either on the way back or the next day when I have time. So I decided to charge next day, so I went from Lake Forest to San Clemente which is one of the closest super chargers to me, and decided to eat there since they got some good restaurants. Then went back home, had 80% charge, and the 110W was able to get it up back to 90% overnight.

But yeah, how is the wall connector or Nema15 charging speed? Will I be able to do longer trips without super charging? Like within 9-12 hour time, what is the lowest you can be at to expect a 90% charge the next day? When on Wall connector or Nema15? I am getting tired of only charging with 110W because it only works if I only did a short work commute from one city distance. But doing longer trips like OC to LA which is about 50 miles each way, I am hoping the Wall Connector will be more sufficient.

So just wondering how significant of a charge will you get when you go from a 110w to a Nema 15 or Wall Connector?
Oy...
The bad terminology is making this very confusing.
110 Watts won't charge squat. Maybe you mean 110 volts? Which should actually be 120V.
And "Nema 15" doesn't mean anything. Maybe you mean Nema 5-15, which is a regular 120V wall outlet, or a Nema 14-50, which is an RV outlet? There are various outlet types that have different power levels.

I know that if I have to charge overnight to 90% (full charge), I am fine if I'm around 80% with only 110W. So basically, it's fine for a round trip from house to work. Commute isn't far, only like 12.5 miles, with room to spare for errands or lunch in the area.

But if I do round trip from OC to LA, like a 50 mile drive each way, then I will have like 30% from a 90% full charge. And charging from 30% is not gonna do much on 110w. I will need to supercharge either on the way back or the next day when I have time. So I decided to charge next day, so I went from Lake Forest to San Clemente which is one of the closest super chargers to me, and decided to eat there since they got some good restaurants. Then went back home, had 80% charge, and the 110W was able to get it up back to 90% overnight.

But yeah, how is the wall connector or Nema15 charging speed? Will I be able to do longer trips without super charging? Like within 9-12 hour time, what is the lowest you can be at to expect a 90% charge the next day? When on Wall connector or Nema15? I am getting tired of only charging with 110W because it only works if I only did a short work commute from one city distance. But doing longer trips like OC to LA which is about 50 miles each way, I am hoping the Wall Connector will be more sufficient.
Your driving pattern is much like mine - my daily commute is 14.4 miles and often on weekends would drive 50-100 mi on Sat - not so much on Sunday's. That day was when my 110V had a chance to catch up. The first 3 mo's this was fine, but when temps dropped and preheating caused dramatic drop in SoC since the 110V couldn't keep, I opt'd for the NEMA 14-50. I'm glad I installed this prior to the Polar Vortex because when i preheated the car all 8kW were used to heat the car. This only lasted for a few mins as the car would quickly warm to my 68 F temp (5 mins). After that it would fluctuate from 2-4 kW. Since you live where there are no Polar Vortex, a 110V should be ok. But I do have to admit it's nice after a one day trip you know the next morning i'm at 90%. As a comparison my 110V gave me 4 mph, while the NEMA 14-50 gives me 29-30 mph depending upon temperature.

When I get the electrician to install the wall connector, should I have him install a Nema15 plug at the same time? So I have a wall connector, but then have a Nema 15 plug as a back up. In case maybe the wall connector broke down.

Or maybe have the Nema 15 as an extra plug in case there is a 2nd EV or Tesla in the future. Maybe if I get a roommate who also has an EV and wants to plug in. Or maybe have a friend / guest stay the night and they also got an EV? Or wife who owns a Tesla?

When I get the electrician to install the wall connector, should I have him install a Nema15 plug at the same time? So I have a wall connector, but then have a Nema 15 plug as a back up. In case maybe the wall connector broke down.

Or maybe have the Nema 15 as an extra plug in case there is a 2nd EV or Tesla in the future. Maybe if I get a roommate who also has an EV and wants to plug in. Or maybe have a friend / guest stay the night and they also got an EV? Or wife who owns a Tesla?

If it doesn't cost too much, no reason not to. But it isn't necessary. It will depend on your house layout and capacity.

Btw - you are probably thinking about a nema 14-50 (50a/240v). If the second plug is not 240v, I wouldn't bother. The minimum in my book would be a 14-20. The car comes with the 14-50 adapter. Any others would need to be purchased from Tesla.

In my case, capacity is limited. I went with a single HPWC and no extra outlet. I'm sharing that between two cars. I might add a second HPWC and use the built in sharing feature.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Most common setups for car charging:

NEMA 5-15: normal 15 amp 120 volt outlet found in most residential buildings. Will charge your car at 1.4 kW or 5 MPH.

NEMA 5-20: 20 amp 120 volt outlet commonly found in commercial buildings. Will charge your car at 1.9 kW or 7 MPH.

NEMA 14-30: 30 amp 240 volt outlet used for modern electric clothes dryers. Will charge your car at 5.7 kW or 22 MPH.

NEMA 14-50: 40 or 50 amp 240 volt outlet used for electric ovens and RVs. Will charge your car at 7.6 kW on the cord that comes with the car or 9.6 kW with a wall connector, depending on what size wire and circuit breaker are installed. 30 or 38 MPH respectively.

If you have a long range Model 3, you can hook a wall connector up to a 60 amp 240 volt circuit and charge at a maximum speed of 11 kW or 44 MPH.

Terms:

kW = kilowatt = 1,000 Watts. This is a unit of instant power, like horsepower. Charging power and propulsion power are both measured in kW.

KWh = kilowatt-hour. This is a unit of energy, similar to gallons of gasoline. Battery capacity is measured in kWh. If you charge at 7 kW for 10 hours, you will have added 70 kWh of energy to the battery.

426ADE08-EF87-4A0B-8085-C0550ABA4F40.png

Last edited:
Get the Tesla wall charger with long cord so you can share between cars. You can also wire another Tesla Wall connector to your existing one if you want in the future and they talk to each other and share the power.
Didn't know you can attach two wall connectors. Will it be easy for the electrician to just simply wire a 2nd Wall Conn. to the 1st one, rather than do the entire process over again? Thus maybe cheaper on labor?

I have a 24 ft one so I can choose to charge outside. Or since the Wall C. has to be on the right side of garage, I may have to walk over to the left side of the car if I choose to drive nose forward.

I kinda wish Tesla allowed the car to have charge ports on both sides. I don't get why they can't do it, it would make it more convinient if you had two sides to choose from. And they could just do something that if one charge point opens, the other one doesn't, so no one can put two chargers in at the same time.

• Funny
Reactions: voip-ninja
Didn't know you can attach two wall connectors. Will it be easy for the electrician to just simply wire a 2nd Wall Conn. to the 1st one, rather than do the entire process over again? Thus maybe cheaper on labor?

I have a 24 ft one so I can choose to charge outside. Or since the Wall C. has to be on the right side of garage, I may have to walk over to the left side of the car if I choose to drive nose forward.

I kinda wish Tesla allowed the car to have charge ports on both sides. I don't get why they can't do it, it would make it more convinient if you had two sides to choose from. And they could just do something that if one charge point opens, the other one doesn't, so no one can put two chargers in at the same time.

Need to tap the electric wire somewhere, typically with a Polaris connector and then connect the two HPWC with a data cable.

Depending on your home layout and breaker panel capacity, it might be just as easy to run a second circuit. It really depends on your situation.

I just got my M3 last night. I have the midrange battery. Even though I have a 60 amp breaker and the 50 amp receptacle, using the cord and adapter which came with the car, I can see on my screen that the max charge rate is about 32 amps or I think 29 miles of range per hour max. The cord gets warm so I can see that I would have to have to have thicker wire gauge in a cord to charge at a higher rate. Question 1. If I bought the Tesla wall charger would the mid range battery M3 allow a faster charge rate? Question 2. I am retired and even though I normally don’t drive drive the car more than 25 to 35 miles per day, it seems a shame to have had 90 amp wiring installed (for possibly 2 cars which I did very cheaply when the electrician was there installing a sub panel for my solar and maybe future heat pump) and not be able to use it on this car. Question 3. If the tesla charger will do it, I read somewhere that I could but it for $200 to $300 instead of the $500 I saw.

I just got my M3 last night. I have the midrange battery. Even though I have a 60 amp breaker and the 50 amp receptacle, using the cord and adapter which came with the car, I can see on my screen that the max charge rate is about 32 amps or I think 29 miles of range per hour max. The cord gets warm so I can see that I would have to have to have thicker wire gauge in a cord to charge at a higher rate. Question 1. If I bought the Tesla wall charger would the mid range battery M3 allow a faster charge rate? Question 2. I am retired and even though I normally don’t drive drive the car more than 25 to 35 miles per day, it seems a shame to have had 90 amp wiring installed (for possibly 2 cars which I did very cheaply when the electrician was there installing a sub panel for my solar and maybe future heat pump) and not be able to use it on this car. Question 3. If the tesla charger will do it, I read somewhere that I could but it for $200 to $300 instead of the $500 I saw.

I think the mid range is limited to 32amps of charging, so a wall connector won't get you any more.

Congratulations, I picked up my M3 two weeks ago as well.

So the max charge rate for M3 is 32amp using the Mobile connector.
I have a NEMA 14-50 outlets with 50amp breaker and get 30 miles /hr charge using the mobile connector when I charged the one time at home. Since I can usually charge while at work I haven't really needed to charge at home yet.

This link Mobile Connector breaks down what each type of wall connection should be able to charge.

This link Wall Connector gives you the brake down for the Tesla Wall connector and the chart shows that you could get upto 44 miles/hr using higher rated circuit breaker.

As for getting the Tesla wall connector cheaper than $500 if you find that information please share as I haven't seen it anywhere for less than $500.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
As for getting the Tesla wall connector cheaper than $500 if you find that information please share as I haven't seen it anywhere for less than $500.

Tesla gave away a bunch of signature wall connectors as part of the referral program, and I see them pop up for sale for less than $500 from time to time. I’ve seen them on this forum and on the local Tesla Facebook group.

If you can identify that you have a dedicated circuit in the garage you could re wire it to a Nema 6-20 outlet with minimal work, that is if you can be sure you have 1. isolated a dedicated circuit and 2. made sure it is 12 gauge wire which it almost certainly will be.

You would then most likely (depending on if you have room in your main panel) be able to use a 2 pole 240v 20a breaker to replace your old 120v single pole one and hook up the neutral (white wire) to the one pole and the old hot wire (black wire) to the second pole, leave the ground wire at the panel in place, also to be to code you need to use some black electrical tape to cover the visible part of the white wire so it is now identified as a hot wire.

At the other end of the dedicated line all you need to do is hook up a Nema 6-20 outlet and then get a $35 adapter for your UMC that came with the car.

You could now charge at 16A for a 15 mile per hour charge rate allowing you to charge from 30% to 90% overnight or about 12.4 hours in this case.

If you have an electric dryer outlet in your garage then you are in even better shape as you could hook up a dryer buddy and get 24A charge speeds and go 30% to 90% in 8 hours

Products

these are the least expensive ways to get level 2 charging speeds.

Last edited: