Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v battery issue, Tesla unsatisfactory response

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. The issue is that if you go to an auto parts store and ask for a new battery they'll look at you like you're crazy. So you've got to search on the internet to figure out which battery to get. If you call AAA I doubt they'll replace your battery either.

No they won’t. Just searched on Advance Auto Parts website and they offer 3 different 12V batteries for the Model 3.

And this is EXACTLY what you’d do in a Tesla as well. And if for some reason the jump start doesn’t work (which btw happens occasionally in all cars) you find other transportation to the auto parts store (friend, uber, etc), buy the battery, bring it home and install it. This is basic problem solving. I can’t for the life of me understand why we have so many threads on the 12V giving up the ghost. They die in all cars, replace it and move on. And if your car is still under warranty when it dies and Tesla says it will be a week before they can get to you, replace it and save the receipt then submit that to Tesla for reimbursement. Maybe they pay for it, maybe not. But we’re talking about a $200 part not a $2k part.

Couldn’t agree more.

No they won’t. Just searched on Advance Auto Parts website and they offer 3 different 12V batteries for the Model 3.
When I search they list three batteries of different sizes, all wrong. o_O
Seems worse than just listing no batteries TBH. I think something is screwed up with their database.
Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 1.37.22 PM.png

When I search they list three batteries of different sizes, all wrong. o_O
Seems worse than just listing no batteries TBH. I think something is screwed up with their database.
View attachment 593129

I apologize, I didn't have time to investigate the battery options to see if they were the right size.

I'm sure most auto parts stores would have a 12V battery with similar dimensions available in a pinch though. It's not rocket science and could get you back on the road until you were able to source a proper replacement.

I apologize, I didn't have time to investigate the battery options to see if they were the right size.

I'm sure most auto parts stores would have a 12V battery with similar dimensions available in a pinch though. It's not rocket science and could get you back on the road until you were able to source a proper replacement.
Yes. Apparently a 51R battery will fit. And if you're calling AAA just tell them you have a Nissan Leaf. :p

Reactions: vogz
Has anyone tried desulfating one of these failing batteries?

I've had good luck desulfating a few batteries that have failed to the point that they won't hold a charge. After a couple of weeks of desulfating with the unit below, they become operational again.

It would be scary to desulfate a Tesla battery in situ, so this would probably be something you do with your first battery after getting a replacement, unless you can pull the battery and not drive the car for an extended period.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D7HZ6FC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
Yeah, not a big deal to just replace it. Not different than an ICE vehicle.

I walked into NAPA auto parts with the dead battery, they had a replacement in stock. Period.

took me about 4 minutes.
Yep. As long as you ask for a 51R or get someone willing to measure the size you’ll be fine. I don’t think the Model 3 is in their database since they don’t sell the “exact” battery.

Has anyone tried desulfating one of these failing batteries?

I've had good luck desulfating a few batteries that have failed to the point that they won't hold a charge. After a couple of weeks of desulfating with the unit below, they become operational again.

It would be scary to desulfate a Tesla battery in situ, so this would probably be something you do with your first battery after getting a replacement, unless you can pull the battery and not drive the car for an extended period.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D7HZ6FC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I don't think a desulfator isn't going to help most failing batteries we hear about here. If the battery was just having difficulty holding a charge, that would be when you get a nice error message and have a fair amount of time to deal with it. But most failures we hear about appear to be shorted cells and corroded plates.

Plus batteries only get sulfated when they're constantly undercharged. Not really what's going on with a Tesla.

However, if you already have a desulfator, give it a try on your old battery after you get a new one and let us know!

As long as you ask for a 51R
What about front/back positioning of the posts ?

From pictures I get the impression that it is not standardized. My recollection (don't take my word for it !!) from the last time I looked at the Model 3 battery is that the positive terminal is to the left and back of the battery but that the terminals may be long enough to also attach to posts in the front

It's not really "front" vs. "back". It's the positioning of the positive terminal with respect to the long edge of the battery closest to it. Most 12V batteries will have their terminals closest to one edge than the opposite side. When a battery of a particular physical size and CCA rating is available in two group versions, the non-R (sometimes it's an F) battery will have the positive terminal on the LEFT, whereas the R (or F) battery will have the positive terminal on the RIGHT. This can be seen in the chart here:

BCI

Column title BCI is the group number for the battery, while Polarity is stated as L/H-POS for left hand positive or R/H-POS for right hand positive. Examples are 21 vs 21R, 24 vs 24F, 27 vs 27F and 34 vs. 34R.

Thanks for that idea. It looks like this is the common one out there and it seems it is rebranded and sold but others (often at higher cost!).
https://smile.amazon.com/QUICKLYNKS-Battery-Monitor-Bluetooth-Device/dp/B01MT4583U

VS1DWng.jpg

Despite my best efforts of testing & monitor (IR) my 12v , I had a 12v battery failure during an OTA update while on a road trip. 2020.40.3 was successfully installed on 1000s of cars so I was confident ... famous last words.

The article I found and mentioned in the below thread shows Tesla is following common guidelines for maintaining the 12v as far as I can tell via empirical evidence I see.

I monitored the 12v battery voltage during an OTA update

an OTA update while on a road trip
Yeah, don't do that. I only do OTA updates with the car in my driveway with another functional car next to it. :p
I wonder if the problem is that Tesla got a bunch of bad batteries from the supplier. It sounds like the failure mode is not typical capacity degradation so they're have trouble detecting it.