Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V battery issues (error messages/car charging problems)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE Again and again and again....

After being stranded and my 3 hour trip of 3 miles last night .... Tesla advised that I keep the 12v charger I have on the car over night and through today ....

Well, unplugged the charger and jumped in the car. Thought I was watching "Lost in Space" WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING 12v Battery Low, WARNING WARNING WARNING UNABLE TO DRIVE VEHICLE and on a Friday no less.

This has gone from worse to near unacceptable.

It may not be bricked ... but I do have a $110,000 paperweight sitting in my garage.

oh, they just need to replace your battery now and be done with it... what a waste of time. you did say they were originally going to replace then decided against, or was that someone else..??

They need to determine if it is a faulty battery, faulty 12V charging system, or some kind of power-draining behaviour. If it's either of the latter two then a new battery will fail in a couple of weeks as well.

They need to determine if it is a faulty battery, faulty 12V charging system, or some kind of power-draining behaviour. If it's either of the latter two then a new battery will fail in a couple of weeks as well.

yes, thought they did that the first time through and found the charging system ok..?

i think they have a bad batch of batts. maybe they sat around too long before install. perhaps earlier fw wasn't charging diligently enough.

yes, confident they'll sort...

annoying meanwhile though cause it renders the vehicle undriveable.

Tesla picked up the car and took it to the service center. Pulled more logs and have apparently nailed it down to a module that gave early betas the same issue. I actually got a call from a senior engineer from California explaining the issue and that they will be evaluating the faulty module as it was supposed to have been solved preproduction.

Hopeful for a happy Model S back home soon!

This is sad. I spoke to a Tesla Rep last night over the phone and asked him about the 12V battery issue. I was informed that it was no longer an issue and the last reported battery issue was over a month ago. To die twice? Well you're much more patient than I am; many people are, but that's not the point.

Sent via Tapatalk.

Tesla picked up the car and took it to the service center. Pulled more logs and have apparently nailed it down to a module that gave early betas the same issue. I actually got a call from a senior engineer from California explaining the issue and that they will be evaluating the faulty module as it was supposed to have been solved preproduction.

Hopeful for a happy Model S back home soon!

I'm hopeful that they get this issue nailed down and solve it fleet wide. There's no shame in doing a recall to fix what appears to be a minor, but extremely annoying issue. There have been too many reports in these forums (which capture only a fraction of the real world experience) for this to be considered isolated. And with your report this issue has now been ascribed to one of either faulty software, faulty 12v batteries or a faulty "module".

Clearly this problem isn't even in the same league as battery packs in Phoenix getting cooked in the sun, or bouts of sudden acceleration causing a fiery death of a family, but Tesla would do itself a world of good to make a public comment about this and tell us what they know, and how they plan on addressing the issue.

This is sad. I spoke to a Tesla Rep last night over the phone and asked him about the 12V battery issue. I was informed that it was no longer an issue and the last reported battery issue was over a month ago. To die twice? Well you're much more patient than I am; many people are, but that's not the point.

Sent via Tapatalk.

I expect(ed) issues with a new vehicle. I expect more down the road. I accepted this as an early adopter and supporter of Tesla.

They did everything right. I received excellent service, communication from service and a certain person who appears on this forum from time to time who was absolutely involved from the moment of being informed and even dropped me a note when my vehicle was done and due for delivery on a Saturday evening no less! You wont get that from the Big 3 or any other maker.

I am a happy camper again.

I expect(ed) issues with a new vehicle. I expect more down the road. I accepted this as an early adopter and supporter of Tesla.

They did everything right. I received excellent service, communication from service and a certain person who appears on this forum from time to time who was absolutely involved from the moment of being informed and even dropped me a note when my vehicle was done and due for delivery on a Saturday evening no less! You wont get that from the Big 3 or any other maker.

I am a happy camper again.

Great to hear. So you think it was a compent issue with maybe a few cars and not a design flaw that will affect future cars?

I'm hopeful that they get this issue nailed down and solve it fleet wide. There's no shame in doing a recall to fix what appears to be a minor, but extremely annoying issue.

It wouldn't be a recall, it would be a "service bulletin". There's no safety issue here... car just won't start.

- - - Updated - - -

Great to hear. So you think it was a compent issue with maybe a few cars and not a design flaw that will affect future cars?

Heh, maybe under delivery pressure the manufacturer slipped in a few of the older units with the known issue. "No one will notice!"

... communication from service and a certain person who appears on this forum from time to time who was absolutely involved from the moment of being informed and even dropped me a note when my vehicle was done and due for delivery on a Saturday evening no less! You wont get that from the Big 3 or any other maker.
Kudos to George for staying on top of this. I sort of assumed he'd be rather concerned and interested!!

Looks like we just joined the 12v club today.

Over the last few days we have had problems with the 17’ screen coming on by itself.
When it is on, so are your accessories including the heater and radio.
Last weekend the TM tech had us reboot the console to get the screen to go off.
Last night after a show we had to do the same thing.
Today, we have the battery warning light on. This time the TM tech is having us trickle charge at 5 amps overnight.
It may be our car has drained the 12v battery and hopefully the trickle charge will top it off.

Sounds like we should all proactively perform a trickle charge periodically to help stave off the problem until there is a solution?

Mike

Why is there a 12V battery? Why with 85kWh of mass under the car there is a stinking 12V battery?

My understanding is that the main battery is wired to produce 400V to drive the power train. The little 12V battery is to power all the 12V systems. There is a power converter to trickle charge the 12V system from the main 400V system, but that is not on all the time (to avoid vampire drain?).

They could partition the main battery and have a part of it providing 12V, but then you'd still end up with a 12V battery - just one that is harder to replace.

They could partition the main battery and have a part of it providing 12V, but then you'd still end up with a 12V battery - just one that is harder to replace.

Just out of curiosity, could they not do neither and just have something to convert the 400V to 12V without a battery, like a voltage convertor? Sorry to be naive but that would seem simpler than having the 12V battery to fail and the issues with partition of the main battery (I believe an early version of the Roadster tried this with even more issues than the 12V battery, if I am not mistaken. Perhaps someone can correct me if so).

Maybe something that does that is impractical because it is too big or too heavy or creates too much heat or wastage or something? Ideally it would seem a better way but my naive guess is that the reality is that it is somehow even less practical or they would be doing just that.

I guess yet another thought would be to completely redesign the wheel and have everyting in the car run off of 400v but that would mean having to manufacture everything themselves and is likely not practical time-wise or expense wise.

Cheers.