Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V battery replacement [by tesla mobile service]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you positive about that? I’ve read posts that after you jump start, the contacts close and the dc-dc converter is powered….you can drive the car indefinitely without jump starting again…as long as you don’t let the car fall asleep...aka keep sentry mode activated. One poster said he did just that on a road trip….only issue was a 12v warning sign...which is to be expected. I guess the situation that wouldn’t work is if your dc-dc converter is also messed.
I hope that's the case. I have a quality battery jumper at home which goes with me on roadtrips in the frunk and a spare battery hidden behind tow hook to open frunk should the car be dead... a lot easier to drive to the nearest SC yourself vs. waiting for a tow

I hope that's the case. I have a quality battery jumper at home which goes with me on roadtrips in the frunk and a spare battery hidden behind tow hook to open frunk should the car be dead... a lot easier to drive to the nearest SC yourself vs. waiting for a tow

me too lol. I have a pair of a23 in the tow hook and Hulkman jumper in the frunk.

It's a similar situation with certain years of BMW's where they implemented a ridiculously complex charging system for the battery to the point where you have to reprogram your computer when you replace they 12v battery. And, the batteries exhaust themselves regular basis, just as they do on many EVs, needing replacements.
I dunno... the last BMW battery I had lasted over 8 years, so whatever they were doing, it was pretty effective... much as I hate the whole battery programming schtick.

So I just had a mobile ranger fix a broken parking sensor on Tuesday (8-24). I asked him during the service whether I should proactively change my original battery on my 2018 M3. He said that I should get about a weeks warning so he would not recommend it. Fast forward to today and my car is dead. In my app I have a message to make an appointment with the service center to replace my low voltage battery. I made an appointment for tomorrow but it's at the service center.

Question: I see there's a way to jump the 12V battery. Can I do this and then drive to the service center? Or is there a good chance the car will die on the way?

If not, I guess I'll just drive up there tomorrow and just buy the OEM battery and put it in myself, hopefully they have them in stock.

So I just had a mobile ranger fix a broken parking sensor on Tuesday (8-24). I asked him during the service whether I should proactively change my original battery on my 2018 M3. He said that I should get about a weeks warning so he would not recommend it. Fast forward to today and my car is dead. In my app I have a message to make an appointment with the service center to replace my low voltage battery. I made an appointment for tomorrow but it's at the service center.

Question: I see there's a way to jump the 12V battery. Can I do this and then drive to the service center? Or is there a good chance the car will die on the way?

If not, I guess I'll just drive up there tomorrow and just buy the OEM battery and put it in myself, hopefully they have them in stock.

I have not personally tried, but from what others have posted you should be able to jump and it drive it long as you want as long as the car does not sleep….keeping sentry active when stopping and parking the car. If that’s not the case, post back your experience.

$150 every ~2 years for a part which lasts 4-6 years in other vehicles isn't acceptable though ... kinda goes against the point of low service costs.
Tesla needs to figure out why Model 3/Y burn through batteries so quickly and address it... software update or use different/ better batteries
That is not the norm. I am 3 1/2 years now and 64,000 miles same 12v.

I proactively replaced my April 2018 12 V battery and found a good use for it! My grandson's power wheels will have a hell of a long range! It fits tightly in the power wheels frunk, the wood is for the hood to screw on to..

Attachments

• IMG_20210828_134403425.jpg
    IMG_20210828_134403425.jpg
    424.6 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_20210828_141901971_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210828_141901971_HDR.jpg
    857.1 KB · Views: 63
I proactively replaced my April 2018 12 V battery and found a good use for it! My grandson's power wheels will have a hell of a long range! It fits tightly in the power wheels frunk, the wood is for the hood to screw on to..
I thought about doing that for my niece's Powerwheels, but instead bought an adapter that allows the use of 20V power tool batteries on it. Only thing I would suggest is to make sure and install a vent hose on the battery and have it vent to the rear bottom of the car (though it being out in the open might be fine). My niece's battery is under the seat. Other than that, I'd make sure the battery can't fall out of the car if he tips it over.

Just a factoid here for reference: an Interstate Group 51R lead-acid battery is available from Costco for about $90. There is a $15 core charge on top of that unless you bring in a trade-in battery. This is the same size 12v battery as my Nissan LEAF takes. This is for the standard, not AGM, battery. Tesla’s pricing is indeed excellent for their replacement.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Just a factoid here for reference: an Interstate Group 51R lead-acid battery is available from Costco for about $90. There is a $15 core charge on top of that unless you bring in a trade-in battery. This is the same size 12v battery as my Nissan LEAF takes. This is for the standard, not AGM, battery. Tesla’s pricing is indeed excellent for their replacement.
The new Li battery for the refresh 3 is only $160 or so. Quite amazing. I'm sure not a drop in replacement.

So I wake up this morning and my Tesla was making a weird noise and wouldn't turn on. Finally it turns on and says battery replacement needed, it only has 68k miles. It also says electrical system unable to support all features, any thoughts?

So I wake up this morning and my Tesla was making a weird noise and wouldn't turn on. Finally it turns on and says battery replacement needed, it only has 68k miles. It also says electrical system unable to support all features, any thoughts?

(moderator note)

Moved to one of the threads on 12v battery

===========================

(Regular content post)

My thought is that you need to replace the battery, just like the car is telling you. Its the 12v Battery, and cost $85 if you buy from tesla and put it in yourself. Assuming you dont want to do that, it costs about $129 total for the battery and tesla installation.