TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

12v battery replacement notice

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Jgdixon, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Jgdixon

Jgdixon Member

I received this email today from Tesla service in California. I like how it was worded and the proactive nature of it.
    Has anyone else got it before? My car is a Canadian Sig that I got in December. It has about 19,000 Kms on it.
    (About 12,000 miles)

Hello,

A recent vehicle log review indicated that the 12V battery installed in your Model S is nearing its end of life. As such, it may prevent the vehicle from loading firmware or in some cases prevent the vehicle from starting. The 12V battery needs to be replaced soon to eliminate any inconvenience that may occur from a lack of firmware updates or starting. At this point, you should have no concerns, we don’t want to alert you, we are proactively doing this to prevent any of the aforementioned items. We want to schedule a convenient time for you to come and get that battery switched out. The process takes roughly about 1.5 hours to change that out. We are currently booked up 3 weeks in advance, taking us to the third week of September. Please reach out to me via any means below so we can schedule you in.

2. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

I haven't got it before on my own car, but as I understand, the car will e-mail Tesla service when the 12v reaches a certain low state of charge threshold(even when the car is not located in a 3g service area).

3. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

*tries to wrap head around idea of car sending e-mail by itself*

Whoa.

4. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

That is a neat feature. I am a December delivery too, and I had to bring my car in for a new 12v a few months back. I was told there were issues with 12v batteries installed in Dec..

5. hans

hans P631

EV Phone home ;-)

6. capt601

capt601 Vin02324

I received the same email about 2 weeks ago from Costa Mesaservice center. Scheduled to take it in at the end of next week. Picked up car in December as well.

7. captain_zap

captain_zap Electron tamer

Yes, we received this notification, although it was by phone from the service center. They said our battery was showing signs of an upcoming failure and they sent a ranger out to replace it the same day. We had never had the 12V battery problem even though we have an early car and over 10k miles. Predictive maintenance...how cool is that?

8. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

"...we don’t want to alert you..."

Glad they are being proactive about these now. Or at least they can be proactive. But I think they mean to replace "alert" with "alarm". They are alerting you. They don't want to alarm you.

9. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I take it this is to prevent the whole bricking PR disaster with the Roadster (failed 12V is not the same as bricking, but it can mean a car that doesn't start).

10. TsRocket

TsRocket Member

Just got my S back from service, 6,500 miles, went in for tire rotation, R R door handle replacement, defrost, etc., and they did the 12v replacement. Ah, so now i better understand ...

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I got the e-mail last week and it took about an hour to get it replaced. As I began to ask "Is it the red..." the quick answer was "yes". They know me (and TMC) too well. :)

12. Musterion

Musterion 18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″

You didn't ask them if it's the EXIDE U1R370XPW ??

13. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Interesting, I'm a Dec. 3rd delivery but haven't heard a thing. Over 16,000 miles and no issues I would attribute to the 12v battery.

14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I'm slipping. Hadn't been following the 12V saga as closely. It's kind of like not looking at a car wreck so that you "avoid" wreck juju floating your direction.

- - - Updated - - -

Same.

15. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Not all of the original black batteries were bad, just an unacceptably high percentage. Good to know Tesla is actively monitoring, keeping an eye out for the bad ones.

16. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Got the email, got it replaced, took about an hour.

17. CantaMia Ron

CantaMia Ron Member

Where in The Model S is the 12 v battery?
    and do you have to add water?

18. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

Above the passenger side wheel-well, and no.

19. strider

strider Active Member

We're also a December delivery. Got that e-mail on 8/9. Had a ranger come out and do the swap Friday evening. Then 2 days later the drive inverter failed and car had to be towed. Heck of a coincidence but all is well now.

20. tezco

tezco Sig P85

Received the e-mail notice today about our 12V battery. Our car was delivered 11-26-12.