Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-30 Dryer Outlet for Charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could I use this 30amp dryer socket to charge a Tesla?
~

Attachments

• IMG_5476.JPG
    IMG_5476.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 291
It certainly should. Buy one, and give it a try... Tesla Accessories and Charging Adapters NEMA 10-30

Yeah, it's not just "give it a try". It will work. [Edit: Well, there is that issue that FlasherZ mentioned that it looks like it's right near the floor. You probably will have a really hard time trying to get the Tesla plug to go in there, since it hangs down from that orientation. You might do better using this adapter, which has flexible three wire cable coming off of it, still from the bottom, though. But it might be able to get plugged in to how that outlet is situated. Really though, can you get that outlet moved up off the floor a bit?
NEMA 14-50R to 10-30P Adapter
Note that using this adapter is going from the dryer plug, a 30A circuit to a Tesla 14-50 plug, which is a 50A circuit, so the car won't know the right level of amps. Set it to 24A max if you're going to use this, so you don't try to overdraw from that outlet.]

Last edited:
NEMA 14-50R to 10-30P Adapter
Note that using this adapter is going from the dryer plug, a 30A circuit to a Tesla 14-50 plug, which is a 50A circuit, so the car won't know the right level of amps. Set it to 24A max if you're going to use this, so you don't try to overdraw from that outlet.]

A better approach is to use Tesla's 10-30 adapter wherever possible, even if it means a small 10-30 extension cord rather than that adapter.

It's always best to match Tesla's adapters to the receptacles they're being plugged into, so that you don't end up with a fire risk if the car decides to reset current on you (as it has done for me a few times).

The best solution would be to relocate that receptacle, if the Tesla cord has to be wedged.

- - - Updated - - -

Aren't you supposed to set the amperage to 24A in that case?

Yes, many pieces of 30A equipment are not rated for 30A continuous duty and/or experience melting from using them at 30A continuous.

NEC requires that the circuit sizing be 125% of the offered load for continuous loads, and therefore the maximum charging current for which the receptacle, conductors, and breaker are rated is 24 amps.

This^^ ...if I can just run 15' 10-30 extension cord, I'm golden. :smile:

Just as a note, Tesla expressly prohibits the use of extension cords in its documentation, and the NEC requires you follow manufacturer's instructions - so technically, you're violating the code. You get to decide whether that's a risk you want to take.

Just as a note, Tesla expressly prohibits the use of extension cords in its documentation, and the NEC requires you follow manufacturer's instructions - so technically, you're violating the code. You get to decide whether that's a risk you want to take.
I own a 125 year old home in California. All the electrical was put in as an after. There are still old ceramic insolators in the basement. The home was re-wired some time in the 40's-50's. Service panel is maxed out. Any re-wire project would just open up a can-o-worms I'm not ready to deal with. a short 10-30 extension cord puts me in the Tesla game...

I think by "problem", Cottonwood was referring to the fact that it was really a 10-30 outlet, not a 14-30 outlet (as the OP put in the thread title).

"Give it a try," is a paraphrase of my motto in such situations: "If it hasn't been tested, it doesn't work!"

That is an old outlet, that is dirty, and is in an awkward location. Testing before assuming it will work is the conservative thing to do. OTOH, as others have said, it will probably work.

If the Tesla adapter with the UMC does not have room in this "low" location, I would prefer to relocate the outlet a little, rather than to use an extension cord, perhaps even replace the 10-30 outlet at the same time. An extension cord would be my last option to consider.

This home has a daylight basement with windows all around. This plug sits at the bottom of the wood wall in the basement & it sits on 4' concrete wall the plug sits about 4' off the basement floor. Not a good picture, I was trying to show the plug face, not the location.