Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

16.2 Near Collision w/ Auto Lane Change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the major issue here isn't if NoA should or shouldn't have made the lane change; it is why it didn't see/detect the car in front and apply brakes after NoA had decided to abort the lane change.

The other major issue is that the California legislature needs to pull its head out of its a** and make lane-splitting illegal like it is in every other state.

Why do you care what other drivers think of you? Lane changes aren't cancelled for no reason. There is always a reason, or a number of reasons.

Wrong. First...I’ve had my car nearly COMPLETE a lane change...without any issue a NORMAL driver would be concerned with, only to abort the change and jerk suddenly back into the original lane. This is happens now more frequently that in the past. I care what other drivers think because I do not wish to be perceived as an incompetent idiot making reckless lane changes or driving erratically. I submit bug reports and hope the lane change issues are resolved more satisfactorily.

Wrong. First...I’ve had my car nearly COMPLETE a lane change...without any issue a NORMAL driver would be concerned with, only to abort the change and jerk suddenly back into the original lane. This is happens now more frequently that in the past. I care what other drivers think because I do not wish to be perceived as an incompetent idiot making reckless lane changes or driving erratically. I submit bug reports and hope the lane change issues are resolved more satisfactorily.
Maybe y'all need some stickers:
4107lW+NBpL.jpg

c1c5f8ef9e16006dbf6f329e2e85dbc8.jpg

Caution-Student-Driver-Bumper-Sticker~2.png

@pitabun Thanks for posting the driver side repeater cam. Looks like it was the motorcycle that caused the canceled lane change and also looks like the car SUV was approaching pretty quickly for your car to safety complete the lane change.

I'm always hesitant to enable auto lane change during traffic because the system isn't fullproof on safety making a lane change at a particular speed whether you would need to increase your speed after making the lane change etc.

I agree, it seems like the car very logically made the decision to abandon. It just should have braked for the other car in the original lane.

As always, AP should still always be done under supervision. I like to keep the follow distance relatively high so I know very early to take control myself, even with the drawbacks this has in higher traffic.

You’re absolutely right. It’s the contrast of concrete/pavement types. I’ve had this happen to me on I-196 in MI before the current construction.

I have a similar situation to this on autopilot I tried to save from a few days ago I’ll look for now.

this is a big problem with california - for example the So Cal 91 fast track lanes - I can barely tell with the sun shining where the actual lane is myself it's been scraped and painted and scraped and moved so many times not to mention concrete grinded and painted over. Nice solid black asphault roads or clearly marked lanes are needed?! (nterestingly tho the car seems to be 100% now thru fastrack lanes)

I truly think a follow distance of 5 is the correct distance. I’ve been running this for a week and most people are not squeezing the lane and staying in the lane. I bet 95-99% use the gap to change between lanes. I never hold the fast or slow lane, just the middle two.

Use a 5 follow distance and this is extremely less likely to cause concern.

Reactions: Jazz_MIII
I truly think a follow distance of 5 is the correct distance. I’ve been running this for a week and most people are not squeezing the lane and staying in the lane. I bet 95-99% use the gap to change between lanes. I never hold the fast or slow lane, just the middle two.

Use a 5 follow distance and this is extremely less likely to cause concern.
I find any follow distance greater than 1 or 2 is more dangerous on urban freeways. I started out with a follow distance of 3 on LA freeways, and it was scary. I switched it to 2, and that solved a lot of problems, and switching it to 1 gave me even more confidence with NOA. The reason being that you behave more like other drivers on the freeway expect you to. There's no way AP could even complete a lane change in traffic if set to 5!

On my last road trip, though, I did increase it to 5, because I wanted the time to react to a hazard on the road that the car in front of me might swerve to avoid last minute.

Wow geez just experienced this yesterday with typical LA traffic. First time I almost got into an accident with my M3.

- Auto-lane changed to faster lane
- Tesla changed its mind
- Almost caused crash with car ahead of me so I applied forceful braking

Damn I knew when I got the indication to change lanes, I should have overridden it due to traffic but decided to sit back. Thanks GOD I was paying attention!

Until it stops trying to lane change in heavy traffic, I can't see me ever enabling auto-lane change. I just have to keep tapping on that cancel button most of the time on NoA.

If I had my druthers I’d get a partial refund from Tesla on that $5K I paid for EAP (March ‘18 delivery new) since I find that I use, need and LIKE AP, but have no need for summon, self-parking and, especially, NoA...

+1 Tesla didn't win my loyalty by extracting in Nov 2018 $5K for basic features of EAP I needed that later became $2K AP and now included standard. It would be a good gesture from Tesla to offer refunds to downgrade EAP to AP.

Reactions: mrbulk
In general, I find that Tesla over reacts to traffic situations. I have lost count of the number of times that EAP over reacted to someone in the opposite lane, turning left. The vehicle turning left easily clears my lane with lots of margin, but EAP reacts with a hard brake. And the odd thing is that the hard brake doesn't happen until after the vehicle has already cleared my lane. Definitely a reaction delay (or perhaps more correctly stated, a signal processing delay). Wonder if the new FSD computer will resolve some of this (I took delivery 2 weeks before the new FSD was being included, but Elon promises that M3's will get a free h/w upgrade once they roll out City FSD). This has happened so often, I have learned to turn EAP off as soon as I see someone making that left turn.

Reactions: Trebek1762
In general, I find that Tesla over reacts to traffic situations. I have lost count of the number of times that EAP over reacted to someone in the opposite lane, turning left.

Probably because EAP is explicitly not for use with oncoming or cross traffic

Why do people keep using the system in places it's not supposed to be used at all and then acting surprised when it doesn't work right?

This has happened so often, I have learned to turn EAP off as soon as I see someone making that left turn.

I'd suggest reading the owners manual so you can learn not to have even turned in on in places it's not intended to be used.

EAPs base assumption is you are on a divided highway with all cars going in the same direction, no cross traffic or pedestrians, and the only way people enter or exit that road is on/off ramps.

I find any follow distance greater than 1 or 2 is more dangerous on urban freeways. I started out with a follow distance of 3 on LA freeways, and it was scary. I switched it to 2, and that solved a lot of problems, and switching it to 1 gave me even more confidence with NOA. The reason being that you behave more like other drivers on the freeway expect you to. There's no way AP could even complete a lane change in traffic if set to 5!

On my last road trip, though, I did increase it to 5, because I wanted the time to react to a hazard on the road that the car in front of me might swerve to avoid last minute.

The funny thing is I am only comfortable in LA traffic with it set to 7. Gives me lots of breathing room at speed in case the car (or more likely) other cars do something stupid. It also doesn’t seem too far away in stop and go, since the distance appears to be speed based. As far as lane changes, AP changes are only for engraved invitations into adjacent lanes. Anything more precise required and I do it manually.

Wow geez just experienced this yesterday with typical LA traffic. First time I almost got into an accident with my M3.

- Tesla changed its mind

Damn I knew when I got the indication to change lanes, I should have overridden it due to traffic but decided to sit back. Thanks GOD I was paying attention!

My experience has been the opposite: sudden stops from unexpected maneuvers to the left or right, but otherwise the car stops itself very quickly in such situations. One possible problem: you can change the settings for how many car lengths behind the car in front of you that you are following. If you are set at only one car length, you are flirting with a rear end collision. I keep mine set at four car lengths. If that doesn't work I recommend immediate service. T

It seems to me the problem was that AP started to change lanes after the car in front put on its brake-lights. This is dangerous, and defensive drivers never do this for obvious reasons. Add to the fact that AP speeds up to complete the lane change while the car in front is braking is doubly dangerous. Even if AP had completed the lane change without incident, the maneuver was dangerous and ill-advised to begin with. I won't be allowing auto lane-change until AP starts to act like a defensive driver. I don't care how many successful lane changes AP has made without accidents. That's just marketing BS. How many of those 'successful' lane changes were dangerous and the car/driver just got away with it?

- Tesla changed its mind

My car does things like this to me and I marvel at the young guys that have the nerve and reflexes to override and get out of these situations. On some occasions. when I am slow to react, I have found that the speed of the car and it's breaking ability has saved the day and I am certain, made some other drivers quite angry. While using GPS on AP last week .my car was a bit late in taking an exit and I cut another car off. I am sure he thought it was a near miss but in reality he could not have hit me had he tried. Seems like the car drives like a typical 80 year old hot rodder at times. I fear road rage more than a failure of the software. Aren't we lucky to have such a fun machine. I would feel some better if it were bulletproof.