Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

16.2 Near Collision w/ Auto Lane Change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is one of the many reasons I haven't paid the hi cost of AP yet. The cameras/sensors don't see far enough back to make an intelligent decision. The approaching vehicles from behind don't show up on my screen until they are a few feet from my car. I feel it to be very risky. After the last update, I see cars spinning out of control both in front of me and coming up behind me especially while waiting at a light. Freaks me out. They say it's just a representation of what it sees, but it is actually a misrepresentation of your surroundings. Still can't trust my life to a cars ability when I see this.

It is really too bad the screen isn’t captured with the Tesla dash cam. Would have been interesting to see if the car in front was showing or not.

Very scary, I hate those mid change corrections that AP does. Always afraid the guy behind me is going to have taken up the space I was leaving already and the car will have reacted too quickly for me to catch. Now I see the car might lose track of the guy in front too. Good to know.

Reactions: Ulmo
After the last update, I see cars spinning out of control both in front of me and coming up behind me especially while waiting at a light. Freaks me out. They say it's just a representation of what it sees, but it is actually a misrepresentation of your surroundings. Still can't trust my life to a cars ability when I see this.

AP isn't intended to be used on roads with cross traffic, oncoming traffic, or stop-lights though so your example doesn't really have anything to do with AP

I like AP, but it always feels like it isn't taking things into account that are not pretty close to the car; ie, it doesn't feel like it can see moderately down the road. From what I understand of HW2.5, they both crop and down-sample the video, so this makes sense. Which will naturally result in situations like what the OP posted above (didn't account for the car in the right lane slowing down ahead). Similar things happen in merge situations (ie, where you very obviously need to move a lane left to make room for incoming merge traffic on the right, but it feels like the car doesn't see what's going on in the right lane).

Gotta be challenging for the car to recognize and compensate for lane-splitting motorcycles. It seems like auto lane-change in a state that permits lane-splitting may not be wise.
I agree. Coming from the east coast, I still am bugged out with the lane splitting motorcycles here in california. I wish they would do away with it. It's so dangerous for everyone on the road, and the motorcycles expect car drivers to always hear and see them.. which as we know is not the case. Especially when most of them fly down the freeway splitting the lane.. its really scary.

That's bad.

You can see the line that caused the reaction.

This software seems like a step backwards . . .

You’re absolutely right. It’s the contrast of concrete/pavement types. I’ve had this happen to me on I-196 in MI before the current construction.

I have a similar situation to this on autopilot I tried to save from a few days ago I’ll look for now.

Wow geez just experienced this yesterday with typical LA traffic. First time I almost got into an accident with my M3.

- Auto-lane changed to faster lane
- Tesla changed its mind
- Almost caused crash with car ahead of me so I applied forceful braking

Damn I knew when I got the indication to change lanes, I should have overridden it due to traffic but decided to sit back. Thanks GOD I was paying attention!

Bad calculation causes self doubt and self doubt causes accident.

Need more brain!!!

(Need enough brain to know what it can do; if too retarded, should pull over until brain rehabilitated. Same as any human, only computers shouldn't get as sleepy, tired, or sick, so that means the computer is brainwashed bad. Make sure incident gets posted to mothership (your huge braking reaction probably already did that).)

Last edited:
@HelloJohnny Johnny
Here's my left repeater. Clear? Maybe the motorcycle threw it off, who knows?

Maybe, but it calculated wrong: a corner impact with the other car (that you almost hit) would twist you around and snap your neck and get a side impact from the oncoming SUV and you would still hit the bike, killing yourself, and many other people, but if you just move to the part of the lane beside the bike, likely you can share the lane, and if it still kills the biker, at least it doesn't hurt you, which is more important since it's your car, not the bike driver's car. You are first. Is Tesla suicidal, or does it protect its owner?

Edit:

I just watched again; in addition to all the above, the bike had all sorts of space to evasive into the next lane to its left. See this and next attachment:

Screen Shot 2019-06-04 at 13.58.00.png

Also, the Tesla was too slow to move over into the new lane, waiting way too long to move over. Hesitation causes all sorts of other bad things to happen; if the Tesla had moved into the new lane sooner, the bike would have had even more reaction time. See this attachment, which happened before the above attachment:

Screen Shot 2019-06-04 at 13.55.30.png

Last edited:
I guess I understand when Elon said human use vision and not shoot lasers.. However human not only use vision sometime also use sound like approaching bike... And can turn head and see far.. and analyze So hope these all hard problems can be solved by current hardware in place..
That much is true, but I ask: did you hear or see the bike approaching?
Gotta be challenging for the car to recognize and compensate for lane-splitting motorcycles. It seems like auto lane-change in a state that permits lane-splitting may not be wise.
It's not that hard. Bikes take the risk, and you let them. If they scuff you, you still win. Tesla should know! Tesla is already in California!
Anyone else think the lane change would have been completed without incident? Not arguing safety because its hard to tell the distance form the side repeater.
Yes. Clearly the maneuver would have completed right if Tesla had not hesitated and instead went over all the way into the new lane. It also would have completed safely if it did it completely when it decided to, even though it had taken some time to initiate the maneuver. Of course, even with a sooner lane switch, a little je ne sais quoi in how it switched lanes to give the bike a few little inches of room to spare could have been a bit helpful in the pool of probabilities, but still, cars take precedence over lane-splitting bikes on roads, so the Tesla wouldn't have to put itself at risk in order to save the errant lane splitter.
It was the SUV not slowing down that caused this reaction. Happened to me a few times and its always because the vehicle in which I'm attempting to change lanes into is not slowing down.
FYI, the law says they (the SUV in this example, not the motorcycle) have the right of way and need not slow down.
I agree. Coming from the east coast, I still am bugged out with the lane splitting motorcycles here in california. I wish they would do away with it. It's so dangerous for everyone on the road, and the motorcycles expect car drivers to always hear and see them.. which as we know is not the case. Especially when most of them fly down the freeway splitting the lane.. its really scary.
Yes, but as soon as you realize that the risk is on them (the bike), not you, then you can relax a lot more.

Last edited:
This is a perfect example of why I would never trust NoA in traffic situations like this.

The danger of NoA simply canceling a lane change even without any visible reason is just too high. I've had it cancel properly (due to a car approaching at high speed), and I've had it cancel without any logical explanation. I'll still use NoA in areas with consistently moving traffic that is very light. But, the second it gets to the point where one or more lanes is backed up or there is moderate to heavy traffic I turn it off.

It's simply not decisive enough in the decisions it makes.

I think I'd feel more comfortable with NoA auto-lane changes if there was rear corner radar.

Something to augment the camera and provide either redundancy or extra information to improve it's reliability.

Good video. The lane change is way too TENTATIVE...unlike the rest of the car, lane change is now idiotically stupid. The car will make a near PERFECTLY timed lane change only to jerk spastically back into the original lane. Not only is this potentially unsafe it makes you appear like a complete fool to other drivers. If the car with 8 cameras, radar and multiple proximity sensors is unable to perform a simple lane change without aggressively jerking back into your initial lane....FOR NO APPARENT REASON...then FSD is indeed many many years away. Lane change is NOT improving at all.