Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.24.28 released - improved 'silky' update from 17.22.46?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I got that bug on start up a couple of times... phantom error call service signal that went away quickly.

By the way... my 17.24.28 is still learning and getting better! Same curves today weekend... it is staying straighter and truer... and even is making tight turns on windy road... slowing down and everything... very impressive!

my 17.24.28 is still learning and getting better!

There are many possible reasons why the same route would be handled better on one day than another. I've never seen any objective evidence, or even an explicit claim by Tesla, that our cars actually learn and change their behavior within the scope of a single release.

I really want to lose this argument! It would be wonderful to have such a feature.

My take on 17.24.28 (from 17.17.4).

Did a 400 mile journey yesterday, mostly highway, same road there and back.

+ very smooth... almost... silky..
+ seems much more confident (see: smooth)
+ brakes earlier and much less aggressively
+ deals with lane merges like a boss

- false breaking before bridges and around trucks increased significantly at dusk
- lane-change needs further refinement: it needs excessive clearance in the new lane before moving; it is rubbish for overtaking (it maintains the gap with the car that is being overtaken until the whole procedure has finished); it is sometimes violent enough to make passengers uncomfortable; somehow, auto lane change got deactivated mid-way through a trip (reactivating in the DA menu fixed this)
- local road seems to be a regression from 17.17.4. Less confident.

I guess I'm taking mine in too. Do you ask them to update it or they automatically do it?

They offered. Part of what I came in for was that after the 75 upgrade, it maxed out at 240 miles instead of 249. Apparently likely due to the battery needing to rebalance over time, but he also suggested that maybe the software update would help.

I think they just always give the latest firmware for any SC appointment anyway, though.

Reactions: PluggedINLife
I got .30 also and made some videos yesterday. In my opinion no change from .28. An interesting thing is that the car struggled after a speed increase of 10 km/h. The old versions limited themselves to 50 km/h on my test road but in 60 km/h it can't handle the tighter bends.

On a twisty highway, another finding was that it managed a turn fine on the outbound stretch. Inbound on the same bend, it did not. I guess the tighter bend radius on the inbound is a challenge for the car at this stage. .28/.30 is still better than before, but we are not there yet - unless you drive slower than speed limits.

So I just called my service center and told them that I still haven't seen the update. They took down my number that the car is registered under and said they will talk to a service tech and then call me back. After 15 mins I get an alert that I have an update. They have not called me back yet so it could be a coincidence or they actually pushed the update to my car. Either way I'm excited to get it and try it out.