Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can confirm what others have stated. The last few updates, including 17.26.76, AP was a lot more jerky for the first 50-100 miles. I felt thrown back to older versions. At one point it even lost both lanes and started to move into the lane to the right of me. But after 50-100 miles it stabilized and became rock solid.
I can only speak for AP1, but on AP1, the lane change is a lot smoother now and not as abrupt as it was before. It feels more natural, like I would do a lane change, if I was driven myself.
Also curves are handled a LOT better now. The car stays dead center in the lane for the most part now, compared to being very close to the inside lane before.
Bottom line, give it 50-100 miles to I guess recalibrate or relearn, whatever it is doing, and it should get better (I assume even for AP2).

Ok, so 18 pages into this thread, and my own experience, I feel like it can be summarized as:

1)much better at highway speeds in turns
2)much better at quicker initiation of lane changes, so as to not miss your opportunity in traffic.
3)much worse in stop and go traffic when it comes to smoothness of acceleration and braking
4)much worse in terms of lane changing smoothness.

2 steps forward and 2 steps back. Hmm. What are the chances Tesla reads these user "reviews"? Sure hope they do.

• Helpful
Reactions: NerdUno and EinSV
Ok, so 18 pages into this thread, and my own experience, I feel like it can be summarized as:

1)much better at highway speeds in turns
2)much better at quicker initiation of lane changes, so as to not miss your opportunity in traffic.
3)much worse in stop and go traffic when it comes to smoothness of acceleration and braking
4)much worse in terms of lane changing smoothness.

2 steps forward and 2 steps back. Hmm. What are the chances Tesla reads these user "reviews"? Sure hope they do.

Please also relay your reviews to ServiceHelpNA. That for sure they listen to :)

Actually in Europe TomTom is far more accurate than Garmin, by lightyears...

However I'm so far pissed as well. Got EAP AP2 car, maybe the AP2 now drives almost as good as AP2 but the car still lacks auto wipers, speed sign reading, auto high beams. Such things which other automakers have already for decades. That's sad.

I tried on several local street, speed limit ranging from 25 - 45, tesla (or TomTom) manages to lose most of them!!! That is very frustrating. Also, on a stretch of major local road, 55mph limit, there the tesla show 55, then, 35 for about 100 yard, then back to 55. This is unbelieveable!

Did tesla tested the database and software integration before releasing it?

I believe it's an improvement over what I had before (18.50) but not even close to AP1 when it comes to holding a lane on a highway, or general TACC effectiveness.

AP2 still has a long way to go. I have a feeling the majority of those complaining here have driven AP1 previously, while those optimists started off with AP2.

Good to know.

I can confirm what others have stated. The last few updates, including 17.26.76, AP was a lot more jerky for the first 50-100 miles. I felt thrown back to older versions. At one point it even lost both lanes and started to move into the lane to the right of me. But after 50-100 miles it stabilized and became rock solid.
I can only speak for AP1, but on AP1, the lane change is a lot smoother now and not as abrupt as it was before. It feels more natural, like I would do a lane change, if I was driven myself.
Also curves are handled a LOT better now. The car stays dead center in the lane for the most part now, compared to being very close to the inside lane before.
Bottom line, give it 50-100 miles to I guess recalibrate or relearn, whatever it is doing, and it should get better (I assume even for AP2).
Not the case for AP2. I just drove 1000 miles on it and it was just as bad at the end as it was at the beginning of the trip. Ended up steering myself most of the way.

Well based on the comments on this thread, and the fact that at least 30% of my commute is in stop and go traffic, I think I will hold off on this release and stick with 17.17.4. I have only had 2 updates since I got the car in March, will I be able to hold off on accepting this update indefinitely? I figure I'll wait until the next one and hope they sort out these low speed issues.

Reactions: NerdUno
Well, I got the "can you please turn off autopilot" from the wife. 17.26.76

I honestly had never been in a situation with so many exit ramps and they were in Wisconsin so maybe the line patterns were different or something. Sure enough though, the car would drift right at the ramp, then snap back after a half a second, and then oscillate to re-center. Same on ramps merging onto the highway.

The curves are way better, but she never told me to turn it off over piecemeal turns, but I got it today. :( I had to drive. Like a barbarian. I'm happy she didn't make me stop and put gas in it like a "real car"

• Funny
Reactions: croman

I honestly had never been in a situation with so many exit ramps and they were in Wisconsin so maybe the line patterns were different or something. Sure enough though, the car would drift right at the ramp, then snap back after a half a second, and then oscillate to re-center. Same on ramps merging onto the highway.

The curves are way better, but she never told me to turn it off over piecemeal turns, but I got it today. :( I had to drive. Like a barbarian. I'm happy she didn't make me stop and put gas in it like a "real car"
My wife glares at me if I turn it on.

It'd be nice for some honesty from Tesla regarding EAP. It is not going well.

Reactions: oktane
I loved my S90D with AP1.0. Then I made the mistake and upgraded to a S90D AP2.0.

With 17.17.17 the car made me feel dizzy because it always drifted and jiggled between the lines. But auto lane change worked.

So I was happy to get 17.26.76 at first. But that actually made things worse! It now drifts and jiggles less, but auto lane change is almost completely broken. It takes forever till it starts the lane change (really embarrassing) and it then yanks the wheel around so my passengers screamed the first time it did it! If a car pulls onto your lane very close, the car brakes but it also starts to steer fast left and right and almost veers off the road! In rain on the highway, the TACC just lost the car right in front of my model S and startet accelerating towards it! I managed to slam on the brakes just before it would have rear-ended the car in front of me.

Also, the "hold steering wheel" naggings are much more frequent. They appear before and right after an auto lane change. It is actually easier to disengage AP, do the lane change myself and reengage it again. Now on about 30% of the secondary roads the speed is limited to exactly the posted speed, without the option to increase it 5 mph (10km/h). Really stupid...

If forced the servicecenter to install the latest update 17.26.92 but it did not change anything.

This is dangerous and really annoying. I actually want to have my old AP1 car back! Tesla made the impression on the car-configurator-page that AP2 would be ready by the end of December 2016 and start to drive more autonomously right about now. But we are month away from feature parity and years away from getting anything useful out of that "full autonomy package" I already paid.

Last edited:
So my question is... Why would an "upgrade" perform more poorly than a previous version? As someone suggested earlier in this thread, it seems the software department at Tesla is completely out of control. Seemingly random updates that deteriorate overall performance. I have been very patient up to this point (owned since December) but wonder if AP2 will ever be usable. So sorry to have upgraded from 17.17.4. While that version was by no means perfect, at least it was usable.

I have the exact same issue on highways... I'm starting to wonder if I can trade for a newer model, but I always talk myself out of it because we have kids together. :)

There seems to be a lot of varying opinion whether each update is better or worse. I for one, felt that this update 17.26.x is way better than my 17.17.x. And would think Tesla would not release it unless it is overall better.

I wonder if there is a way to setup a set of somewhat objective test so we know definitively what has changed about AP in each release and remove a lot of the subjectivity around it. Tesla should know as they conduct their test and maybe it would be good to publish. Two key things to consider:

- Capabilities delta (what can it do or not do now compared to last release)
- Involuntary disengagement rate by road type and country
- usage rate by road type and country

The later 2 items are especially important and would require a flighted release to say 2-5% of vehicles for about a week before mass roll out. No matter what was changed, the proof is in the pudding when you taste it, the more people use this version of AP and the less they have to take over, the better it is going to be.

For what it's worth, my 17.26 is still improving... this new learning capability is fantastic. I wonder if we will need to retrain each update... I wish Tesla would include more information on exactly what has changed between updates.

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
There seems to be a lot of varying opinion whether each update is better or worse. I for one, felt that this update 17.26.x is way better than my 17.17.x. And would think Tesla would not release it unless it is overall better.

Do you have an X? After talking to many owners, it seems that the X is way better compared to the S in regards of these AP2.0 problems.

Seems to me that Tesla is training the deep neural nets with camera data from the X and then just pushing the same DNNs to the S, but they don't fit 100%.

For what it's worth, my 17.26 is still improving... this new learning capability is fantastic.

What "learning" are you talking about? I never experienced any learning in between software versions. AP is not learning. They are just collecting data and then training the deep neural nets with that data for the next update.

Reactions: oktane
Maybe we're expecting too much from the current version of autopilot. The manual says it is for use on limited access highways.

Mine works pretty well on limited access highways. I've used it on smaller roads, and in town, and I've run into the same issues others have described. Since that is outside the current recommendations it seems I shouldn't be expecting good in-town autopilot function.

• Disagree
Reactions: ICUDoc and Prefect
Do you have an X? After talking to many owners, it seems that the X is way better compared to the S in regards of these AP2.0 problems.

Seems to me that Tesla is training the deep neural nets with camera data from the X and then just pushing the same DNNs to the S, but they don't fit 100%.

What "learning" are you talking about? I never experienced any learning in between software versions. AP is not learning. They are just collecting data and then training the deep neural nets with that data for the next update.
Agree on both accounts. X Owners (and AP1 S) owners seem to like the latest updates and see as improvements. Met several on my 1000 mile return trip this week.

I found no evidence of the software "learning" or changing behavior in any way during trip. Behavior only changes with updates.

Reactions: Prefect
Maybe we're expecting too much from the current version of autopilot. The manual says it is for use on limited access highways.

Mine works pretty well on limited access highways. I've used it on smaller roads, and in town, and I've run into the same issues others have described. Since that is outside the current recommendations it seems I shouldn't be expecting good in-town autopilot function.
My poor experience with 17.26.76 versus 17.17.4 (which I thought worked well on highways) is based on hundreds of miles driving the PA, OH and IN turnpikes. Local roads are usually dicey... I agree on that point.

17.26.76 is so much worse than our cars last FW release that on our 65 mile trek to the Atlanta Airport tonight my wife actually asked me to turn AP off and drive myself. Ping Ponging, call it what you will, between lanes and TACC pissing people off behind us, was just too much. Don’t even see the 2nd car ahead by radar any more with this release. When in a section of stop and go traffic creeping along the steering wheel was constantly making mini corrections when not a one was needed. Literally “DROVE” my wife crazy

Several reboots and power downs and everything external is as clean as a whistle. Literally went he’ll in a hand basket the first drive the following day. My local SC says just wait on a new update ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1)Can you share with us where exactly this occurred? (We could then do a ride along with google;-). Exit 16 on 985 South Gainesville GA to I-85 South all the way to the Atlanta airport
2)In turns straight always or both? Both but more on straightaways
3)Were the lane markings clear? Varied from yes to brand new
4)Windshield clean? Crystal clear
5)Driving into the sun? No
6)Concrete? - yes
7)Asphalt? - yes
8)Heat mirages off of asphalt? Clear afternoon stretch was part concrete / asphalt new and older lane markings under overpasses with natural and artificial lighting. Many varieties and types of expressway types on this one trip (by the same all last week in a completely different route to work ~100 miles RT daily
9)2WD/4WD - AWD
10)S or X - S
11) Year and Month of build - March 2017 100D