Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.26.92 Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Um I think everyone has the option of not prepaying for beta autopilot and paying for it later after taking delivery...albeit at a premium.

You're right, however when I purchased mine, (early November, 2016) I was told over the phone about the new AP2 and all of its features. I was under the impression that would be on the car the day I drove it off the lot. I went to Tesla's website and didn't really see anything saying none of it would be working when my car arrived, not even automatic headlights. (Not saying it didn't say it somewhere, but it certainly wasn't prominent) During the 1 week change period I drove to a showroom and picked out my colors and features, etc. and drove an AP1 MX for the afternoon. At that time the Tesla employees I talked to were under the impression that AP2 would be functional at AP1 level upon delivery, and the extra "fluff" of AP2 would be within a few months. Full self driving in a year or so is what I was told. Based on that I kept my order the same, paying extra for FSD. While waiting for my Christmas delivery, I learned that AP2 wasn't functional at all. At that time it was the famous Elon promise of it being functional by the end of the year. I don't think any of us expected the AP2 rollout to be as painfully slow as it actually is.

Now yes, back in November I could have spent hours and hours pouring over the forums etc. but I felt talking to the Tesla employees was my best bet. Looking back I realize that wasn't the case. I'm not saying anything bad at all about the employees, every single Tesla employee I've had interaction with has been absolutely fantastic. As I've moved further along I've learned that communication within Tesla leaves a lot to be desired and I certainly don't hold it against any of the employees for not being completely up to date 100% of the time.

That being said moving forward, had I known that AP2 would not be on par with AP1 until quite a bit later and and the extra AP2 functionality wouldn't be available until anyone's best guess, I would have probably purchased a cheaper AP1 car and not had to wait. I certainly wouldn't have spent the money for FSD that most likely won't even be available before I sell the car anyway.

At any rate, I still love my Tesla and enjoy it on a regular basis, but I'd be lying if I said I'm not hugely disappointed between what I read on Tesla's site about AP2 when I ordered and what I actually have 9 months later.

Cheers! =)

Reactions: Sawyer8888
i'd say much better as the loaner ap2.0 carz havve been a joke...

that being said if these cars do actually learn, then they aren't used to driving the same roads all the time...but shouldnt the data be shared amongst other cars? idk.
Tesla said MobileEye forbid Tesla from using AP1 to train AP2. I don’t know if that also includes fleet measurements of the roads, but I would imagine it does...

Reactions: Peteybabes
I noticed (finally) couple of things with NAV, perhaps slid in on this or a prior release.
Although the talking head still says East or Right when she means West or Left, I've turned her off. Still not fixed. But a few visuals did catch my eye. First is a display of a tunnel I was passing thru and second was the display of being in an HOV lane.

Neither caught my attention before, but would love to see NAV begin routing based on HOV availability. :)

IMG_0190.JPG
IMG_0191.JPG