TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

17.26.92 Update

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ToddS, Jul 13, 2017.

1. ToddS

ToddS Member

Got it last night/this morning.

The Notes are the same as the previous update (parking and display). Anyone know what minor fix we got?

Details in signature.

2. rainforest

rainforest Member

Just used 17.26.92 to Banff. Way smoother on curves, stops earlier when cars cut in, but lane changes are a bit too fast. And why does the car not shoulder check for me before changing lanes? I changed lanes and the car almost hit someone in my blind spot.

3. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

How would you define "almost hit"? For some cars the ultrasonics only detect cars 4-5 feet away, so you'll begin to depart your lane and then it'll abort when it finally sees the car next to you.

Definitely no good for road etiquette, and you'll probably get honked at, but it's unlikely it would actually hit anyone.

4. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

AP1 or AP2?

I found that it does this with my AP1 hardware and when I've driven AP2 cars it seems more cautious like it's using the rear camera or something.

• Informative x 1
  5. Peteybabes

there's also a 17.26.96 out now too, right?

6. sreehyd

sreehyd Member

Usually blind spot is close to tail end of the car or next to passenger side NOT visible in side mirrors, It appears @rainforest changed lanes according to his post.

7. Tam

Tam Active Member

AP2 is promised to change lane all on its own on freeways without driver's input. That's still pending with future incremental updates.

8. Soolim

Soolim Member

because ultrasonic has limited distance detection.

9. rainforest

rainforest Member

I changed lanes and realized a car was next to me mid-change. At least it appears to me that AP2 didn't prevent me from hitting the car beside me. The Honda van beside me was pretty upset to say the least.

10. ninefiveone

ninefiveone Member

People on a beta product will blindly request a lane change without checking first?

What is wrong with you? Seriously.

• Helpful x 1
  11. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

Does it really need pointing out that you're supposed to check yourself? All these things are driver aids, not driver replacements.

Everyone complains because of all those nags that are in the current system, but this is exactly why, because people try to treat it like a system that they can hand over responsibility to.
    Take responsibility for your driving.

• Like x 2
  12. rainforest

rainforest Member

Admittedly, it was a mistake. I never said I was perfect driver.

• Like x 2
  13. NerdDoc

NerdDoc Member

Yes. Just got this at the service center.

14. outie

outie Active Member

Yea they also showed Summon back in the days that on private driveway your car will come out and meet you at the curb.

• Like x 1
  15. Peteybabes

lol! i remember that! they had disclaimers saying "only on private property" or something like that. :)

• Like x 1
  16. outie

outie Active Member

Oh and the future incremental update they did was updating their website to remove any mentioning of that summon feature. Ta-da!

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  17. Sawyer8888

Sawyer8888 Member

Let's try to keep it civil. We know, "read the owner's manual." Or perhaps some of us feel that looking over your shoulder when changing lanes is common sense.

But "seriously" you ask? How about Tesla's marketing of Autopilot? Granted, the release notes for auto lane change indicate that we must first check to make sure that it is safe to merge - not specifically that we must ensure our blind spot is clear. Afterall, the car is loaded with sensors and cameras to do that for us, right? Oh, of course, most cameras are currently just for show and the sensors have limited capabilities.

Even after checking your blind spot and you face forward to engage the turn signal, a car could zoom into the space you just checked.

Point is, the system is really no better than changing lanes on our own. In fact, it's much more agressive (currently with 17.26.76) and less safe than doing it yourself. If this is how they described it at the time of sale or at delivery or at any other time for that matter, then it would be a non-issue and we would not be surprised by these near misses.

At this point, the car should be able to complete this task by checking the blind spot IMO. That fact that it still cannot do this with the auto lane change feature enabled is dangerous.

• Like x 3
  18. Peteybabes

darn just left the service center and i only got 17.26.92, was hoping for 17.26.96...oh well.

i even said: "I think the latest update is 17.27.....something?" just to see if anything newer had come out. lol

19. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

This is why US drivers exams ask what happens when your car gets to a corner.
    People saying "it should do this" and expecting it to be the case just because they think it should, despite the warnings saying it doesn't.

20. NerdUno

NerdUno Member

#20 NerdUno, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    Wondering how many cars Tesla would sell if they were honest and said "We have a number of experimental driver assistance features. None of them are reliable. Use at your own risk and peril, whichever comes first."

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1