Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.26.92 Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just used 17.26.92 to Banff. Way smoother on curves, stops earlier when cars cut in, but lane changes are a bit too fast. And why does the car not shoulder check for me before changing lanes? I changed lanes and the car almost hit someone in my blind spot.

Just used 17.26.92 to Banff. Way smoother on curves, stops earlier when cars cut in, but lane changes are a bit too fast. And why does the car not shoulder check for me before changing lanes? I changed lanes and the car almost hit someone in my blind spot.

How would you define "almost hit"? For some cars the ultrasonics only detect cars 4-5 feet away, so you'll begin to depart your lane and then it'll abort when it finally sees the car next to you.

Definitely no good for road etiquette, and you'll probably get honked at, but it's unlikely it would actually hit anyone.

AP1 or AP2?

I found that it does this with my AP1 hardware and when I've driven AP2 cars it seems more cautious like it's using the rear camera or something.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
I changed lanes and realized a car was next to me mid-change. At least it appears to me that AP2 didn't prevent me from hitting the car beside me. The Honda van beside me was pretty upset to say the least.
Does it really need pointing out that you're supposed to check yourself? All these things are driver aids, not driver replacements.

Everyone complains because of all those nags that are in the current system, but this is exactly why, because people try to treat it like a system that they can hand over responsibility to.
Take responsibility for your driving.

Reactions: GWord and Doctt
Does it really need pointing out that you're supposed to check yourself? All these things are driver aids, not driver replacements.

Everyone complains because of all those nags that are in the current system, but this is exactly why, because people try to treat it like a system that they can hand over responsibility to.
Take responsibility for your driving.

Admittedly, it was a mistake. I never said I was perfect driver.

Reactions: F123456 and GSP
People on a beta product will blindly request a lane change without checking first?

What is wrong with you? Seriously.

Let's try to keep it civil. We know, "read the owner's manual." Or perhaps some of us feel that looking over your shoulder when changing lanes is common sense.

But "seriously" you ask? How about Tesla's marketing of Autopilot? Granted, the release notes for auto lane change indicate that we must first check to make sure that it is safe to merge - not specifically that we must ensure our blind spot is clear. Afterall, the car is loaded with sensors and cameras to do that for us, right? Oh, of course, most cameras are currently just for show and the sensors have limited capabilities.

Even after checking your blind spot and you face forward to engage the turn signal, a car could zoom into the space you just checked.

Point is, the system is really no better than changing lanes on our own. In fact, it's much more agressive (currently with 17.26.76) and less safe than doing it yourself. If this is how they described it at the time of sale or at delivery or at any other time for that matter, then it would be a non-issue and we would not be surprised by these near misses.

At this point, the car should be able to complete this task by checking the blind spot IMO. That fact that it still cannot do this with the auto lane change feature enabled is dangerous.

Let's try to keep it civil. We know, "read the owner's manual." Or perhaps some of us feel that looking over your shoulder when changing lanes is common sense.

But "seriously" you ask? How about Tesla's marketing of Autopilot? Granted, the release notes for auto lane change indicate that we must first check to make sure that it is safe to merge - not specifically that we must ensure our blind spot is clear. Afterall, the car is loaded with sensors and cameras to do that for us, right? Oh, of course, most cameras are currently just for show and the sensors have limited capabilities.

Even after checking your blind spot and you face forward to engage the turn signal, a car could zoom into the space you just checked.

Point is, the system is really no better than changing lanes on our own. In fact, it's much more agressive (currently with 17.26.76) and less safe than doing it yourself. If this is how they described it at the time of sale or at delivery or at any other time for that matter, then it would be a non-issue and we would not be surprised by these near misses.

At this point, the car should be able to complete this task by checking the blind spot IMO. That fact that it still cannot do this with the auto lane change feature enabled is dangerous.
This is why US drivers exams ask what happens when your car gets to a corner.
People saying "it should do this" and expecting it to be the case just because they think it should, despite the warnings saying it doesn't.