Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone with 17.5.28 : please let us know if the unexpected TACC braking problem seems fixed, better,or the same.
Thx
My experience this morning was a mixed bag. It appeared to take a little longer to begin the breaking process than it did with the previous version. It also had a couple of instances where it would come up to speed and then, for some reason, slow down for a fraction of a second and then speed back up. Nothing in front, to the side or above to confuse it. It is certainly a bit dicey at times and I was forced to perform a hard brake once as I was coming up on a stopped car a bit too fast for my comfort. Didn't have this problem with the previous version. Will continue using it though with the hope it will learn and get better.

My experience this morning was a mixed bag. It appeared to take a little longer to begin the breaking process than it did with the previous version. It also had a couple of instances where it would come up to speed and then, for some reason, slow down for a fraction of a second and then speed back up. Nothing in front, to the side or above to confuse it. It is certainly a bit dicey at times and I was forced to perform a hard brake once as I was coming up on a stopped car a bit too fast for my comfort. Didn't have this problem with the previous version. Will continue using it though with the hope it will learn and get better.

So what were the positive parts of the mixed bag?

Got the update now on an AP2 car without ordering advanced autopilot. It says that I got the side collision warning feature. Going to go for a drive soon and see if that's true.
I consider this dangerous to test. I'm not insulting you if you know of a non-dangerous way to test it. But, by definition, I think it's supposed to be too dangerous to actually test.

I consider this dangerous to test. I'm not insulting you if you know of a non-dangerous way to test it. But, by definition, I think it's supposed to be too dangerous to actually test.
I didn't mean I was going out to make it happen. I haven't had this feature before in my tesla obviously and figured if I was going over 7 mph and a car was next to me it would trigger differently on the dash. I didn't notice anything in normal driving besides the usual ultrasonic signals from before.

Not really any encouraging feedbacks from testers so far. I was expecting some improvements on autosteer's behavior.
Side collision warning is still a plus though
I haven't had the opportunity to try the latest auto steer yet but I don't see any difference in how the side collision warning functions than the previous version. It basically remains off and on and hasn't yet provided me with an accurate portrayal of what is actually around me. It still needs a lot of work, in my opinion.

Reactions: juice15e
I haven't had the opportunity to try the latest auto steer yet but I don't see any difference in how the side collision warning functions than the previous version. It basically remains off and on and hasn't yet provided me with an accurate portrayal of what is actually around me. It still needs a lot of work, in my opinion.

Just like AEB avoids/warns of a collision , is side collision warning expected to make an evasive / safe maneuver or sound an alarm ?

I don't thi
Just like AEB avoids/warns of a collision , is side collision warning expected to make an evasive / safe maneuver or sound an alarm ?
I haven't tested it to that level. Right now I am just looking for the visual display on the Instrument cluster. If that feedback does not provide me with an accurate display of what's around me I will not trust it to warn me of a real problem.

From what I am reading, leaving mobileye was a big mistake.......

We have no idea how EyeQ4 was going to be (not to mention it was just a 3-forward-channel solution), and they were giving broad estimates like 2018 for something things like lateral turn across path collision detection.

I'm not sure Tesla staying together with MobilEye was good from either a customer benefit or a business standpoint. Yeah the state of AP2 vs AP1 is rough for now, but let's not forget it took MobilEye the better part of a decade to make the system that is in AP1, and in non-Tesla cars, EyeQ3 just wobble-steers, and Tesla seems pretty close to replicating it in a year.

It seems without a doubt that AP2 will eclipse AP1. Place the blame on Tesla's culture of overpromising and underdelivering, not on Tesla deciding to get out of a bad business relationship.

I just got the update and took a quick spin. I detect no differences but my drive was not rigorous as it's night and there wasn't much traffic so I couldn't really use auto steer for longer than ten seconds. Hopefully they keep increasing the speeds until it becomes safer to use as a general driver assistance tool.