Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18" Aero Wheels now available for Model 3 Performance AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked mine up today. White P3 withi Aero wheels, no carbon fiber anything, no brakes, unsure about suspension but let me just say. It's the absolute perfect car.

What's very interesting is that on the App it shows you the Model 3 DUAL MOTOR with the red underline but on the Tesla account online it doesn't say anything about it under options.

Here is my breakdown

Reactions: AZHobos
Any feedback from current owners I can get? I am about to place an order for Model 3 with LR P but without the performance wheels, upgraded breaks and the spoiler which you can do if you order through their showroom. This move is saving me about $2,500 ($5,000 MSRP package) on 36-month lease. What do you think? Worth the upgrade or should I spent the $$ elsewhere? Thanks!

I would never buy any other M3 configuration, it's the best configuration you can ask for in my opinion. I'm still trying to figure out if the suspension on mine is the same as the P package or not since they say it's "lowered" but unsure if that's really true or it just looks it due to the 20s.

I just found a M3P- that was on stock with 19' wheels, so I cancel my reservation of M3P and jump on it.
I just hope it's not an error from Tesla as it's the first time I see such configuration.

Tesla.jpg.a9b62157a5d65824b5d8fb70f54dda77.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Cultgti
Starting to wonder if the stealth option is actually a limited production run

Plenty available. Maybe and maybe not this is a limited run. My guess is that Tesla figured out to put the same motors in AWD and P and control via software for production efficiency.

Now when, why and how it was done is a big mystery. My guess is that it is due to efficiencies in keeping the same motor across 2 models and save on production costs.

There have been arguments and evidence presented to the contrary of what I said above, but to each it’s own.

....My guess is that Tesla figured out to put the same motors in AWD and P and control via software for production efficiency.

...it is due to efficiencies in keeping the same motor across 2 models and save on production costs.

There have been arguments and evidence presented to the contrary of what I said above...

Yes, there is definitely evidence to the contrary, if you are saying 3D and 3P currently have the same motors.

Simply put, available evidence says that until 2019, 3D and 3P were only differentiated by software.

However, starting in January 2019, 3D and 3P vehicles have different rear motors.

While we do not know the significance of the difference, it’s important for people making the decision between the two vehicles to know about this difference which definitely currently exists.

While we do not know the significance of the difference, it’s important for people making the decision between the two vehicles to know about this difference which definitely currently exists.

It's really annoying we don't know what the difference between the 2 rear motors is; while it won't change my life, I'm just too curious to be satisfied with not knowing the details..

I haven't been following the motor discussion very long but it seems clear to me what happened:

1. 3P and 3D motors were the same up to Jan 2019. Maybe there were supply or design issues with the lower spec D motor?
2. Now there is finally a real difference with a 990 M3D drivetrain and a 980 M3P drivetrain but there are still many more 980 drivetrains in the pipeline than demand for M3P+ with many of them already installed on cars without the PUP.
3. Tesla decides that since the motors can handle it you might as well take more money for them.

Prediction of my analysis:
1. When the current supply of 980 drive units in M3Ds (able to upgrade to M3P-) runs out all new M3D will be built with 990 motors, killing the options.

Please poke the theory full of holes :)

I haven't been following the motor discussion very long but it seems clear to me what happened:

1. 3P and 3D motors were the same up to Jan 2019. Maybe there were supply or design issues with the lower spec D motor?
2. Now there is finally a real difference with a 990 M3D drivetrain and a 980 M3P drivetrain but there are still many more 980 drivetrains in the pipeline than demand for M3P+ with many of them already installed on cars without the PUP.
3. Tesla decides that since the motors can handle it you might as well take more money for them.

Prediction of my analysis:
1. When the current supply of 980 drive units in M3Ds (able to upgrade to M3P-) runs out all new M3D will be built with 990 motors, killing the options.

Please poke the theory full of holes :)

So what your saying is that a Performance Model 3 that comes with Aero wheels is just a software unlocked LRAWD, and the ‘new’ Performance actually has a new/upgraded rear motor? Makes sense to me. The extra money Tesla takes in from LRAWD to Performance is pure profit.

So what your saying is that a Performance Model 3 that comes with Aero wheels is just a software unlocked LRAWD, and the ‘new’ Performance actually has a new/upgraded rear motor? Makes sense to me. The extra money Tesla takes in from LRAWD to Performance is pure profit.

I think the thought is that there is a 980 (part number motor) which is workable in both Performance and AWD under software control but there is a newer motor (990) which is fine for AWD but perhaps does not meet the specs to be in a Performance model. Stealth Performance cars can be offered for while the supply of 980 motors exceeds demand for non-stealth Performance

My Stealth Performance from July 2018 has a 980 motor. Folks are trying to collect which AWD cars have what motors in effort to guess more smartly ;)