Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18 Months: I must be doing something wrong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spot on, and unfortunately I don't have a chart either. That would have to come from inside TSLA since - as you said - it's not really linear.
Someone with a CAN reader probably has access to pack voltages and could correlate the increase in range with the pack's last 5 or so mv increase. That would not be an exact answer to our question but it would be ballpark

Long thread that i didn't read all of so this may have been mentioned...

I just took my car from Aug 2018 in to fix some minor things form delivery, and there were multiple service bulletins that they addressed at the same time (one actually ended up being related to one of the issues I brought it in for). They won't proactively contact you about those, but it is probably a good idea to bring your car into service before the warranty runs out. Although i'm guessing they wouldn't charge for those even after it was out of warranty?

Nobody posts "hey, just a note that today my car worked great!".

I had 2 repairs a month after delivery, and nothing mechanical since (two cracked windshields due to rock strikes). Every time my service has been great. The only small complaint was that my first windshield took 2 weeks to replace. The second was done the next day.

Nobody posts "hey, just a note that today my car worked great!".

I had 2 repairs a month after delivery, and nothing mechanical since (two cracked windshields due to rock strikes). Every time my service has been great. The only small complaint was that my first windshield took 2 weeks to replace. The second was done the next day.

Yup, forums are not scientific sampled, statistically analyzed studies. But if enough people complain about the same thing, you can expect it is a real problem. You won't find everyone with a problem reporting it here either.

My X windshield cracked in three places from thermal stress of using the defroster on a freezing cold morning. They initially wanted to charge me for it. After protesting they relented, but wrote it up as "goodwill" rather than warranty. That's the corporate equivalent of, "I'm just sayin'".

Reactions: holmgang
The last two were done by my Ranger during a recent visit. What is a 'battery breather' ?

My understanding is that they are basically vents between the battery cavity and outside air. On cars around my build time there was apparently some issue with them that would not allow good airflow. It results in (or worsens) the loud clunk or sheet metal popping sound (and I could feel it in the floor) when supercharging or driving hard in cold temperatures. The service tech said it probably would still be audible, but not nearly as bad.

I'll go out on a limb and guess this will do absolutely nothing for you. 294 miles is relatively normal for Model 3 as far as I can tell. For an AWD, that's 5-7% loss of capacity from new.

It’s somewhat in the noise, but at 12,000 miles and 9 months (sure, still a young pup) I max out my AWD at 307 miles. Been on the 90% set-and-forget regimen since day 1.

It’s somewhat in the noise, but at 12,000 miles and 9 months (sure, still a young pup) I max out my AWD at 307 miles. Been on the 90% set-and-forget regimen since day 1.

I have not seen a single story yet here where changing the charging regimen has helped (meaning regained more than 5 rated miles). Hopefully this is the exception!

have a RWD LR, not AWD.

Sorry, was skimming the thread and got things reversed. Yeah that is 10-12%. Starting point is probably more like 330 miles - you just don’t see more than 325 displayed, at least that is my current working theory.

A year and a half ago today, Wattney, our Model 3, came into our lives. Today she is just a few miles short of 30,000. And nothing has gone wrong. The car has never been in for any warranty service. Okay, I lie a little. One time an OTA update got stuck, and they unstuck it for me remotely. But that's it.

I see all the stories of people taking their Model 3s in for this or that warranty repair. And we all get to read the stories of how delighted or disappointed they are with Tesla service. I have no opinion on Tesla service since I have no experience. I feel left out.

What am I doing wrong? This car is too darn good.

Same here. 0 Issue.

I have not seen a single story yet here where changing the charging regimen has helped (meaning regained more than 5 rated miles). .

It's true. Look up Tesla Kim on youtube. She has a really good video that explains why charging to 90% rebalances the battery so you can see more of your range again.

It's not lost range, it's still there just hidden :) As long as you aren't driving it down to 0% it doesn't really matter a few miles not showing. People seem to get too caught up on that.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
It's true. Look up Tesla Kim on youtube. She has a really good video that explains why charging to 90% rebalances the battery so you can see more of your range again.

It's not lost range, it's still there just hidden :) As long as you aren't driving it down to 0% it doesn't really matter a few miles not showing. People seem to get too caught up on that.

If you can provide the link to the video that shows her rated miles before, after, and the charging regimen, that would be helpful.

I’m basing my comment on reports here in this forum.

It’s not that I don’t believe that the BMS cannot become confused, or that balancing does not happen - these things can happen.

I just see no evidence to date that the numerous examples of 5-10% capacity loss on Model 3 batteries is not real. I know of people who have 10% reduction in available capacity and indeed it is very “real world” real when discharging to 5%, according to the kWh displayed on the trip meter relative to what was displayed when the car was new.

But anyway, @crackers8199 can be a test case if desired!

If you can provide the link to the video that shows her rated miles before, after, and the charging regimen, that would be helpful.

I’m basing my comment on reports here in this forum.

It’s not that I don’t believe that the BMS cannot become confused, or that balancing does not happen - these things can happen.

I just see no evidence to date that the numerous examples of 5-10% capacity loss on Model 3 batteries is not real. I know of people who have 10% reduction in available capacity and indeed it is very “real world” real when discharging to 5%, according to the kWh displayed on the trip meter relative to what was displayed when the car was new.

But anyway, @crackers8199 can be a test case if desired!

Watch this

You're talking about battery degradation which yeah... Still happens and is un avoidable. But there is a difference between battery degradation and rebalancing the battery.