Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18 vs 19 inch wheels? Help please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pilot S4 is only for the 20" model. Not the 18".

From P. 128 of the Owner's Manual:

2018-05-08.png

As I stated, "the Owner’s Manual also references Michelin Pilot Sport 4 as OEM for the 18” but not holding my breath for those."

From P. 128 of the Owner's Manual:

View attachment 299634

As I stated, "the Owner’s Manual also references Michelin Pilot Sport 4 as OEM for the 18” but not holding my breath for those."

Just some specs about the oem tires that are 18 inches.

Michelin pilot sport 4s
Max summer performance tire.
  • 235/45ZR18 (98Y) XL
  • UTQG:300 AA A300
    Traction: AA
    Temperature: A
  • Eco Focus:Michelin Total Performance
  • Per Tire: $212.75
Michelin MXM4
Grand touring all season
  • Size:235/45R18 98W XL
  • UTQG:500 A A500
    Traction: A
    Temperature: A
  • Eco Focus:Green X
  • Per Tire:$275.40
Funny the two 19 inch Michelin’s mxm4 are 50 dollars per tire cheaper then the 18 inch at tire rack.

Funny the two 19 inch Michelin’s mxm4 are 50 dollars per tire cheaper then the 18 inch at tire rack.

Well, since they are the same width, you are paying for an extra half inch of side wall :) [yes, it’s strange Tesla spec’d more expensive tires on the 18.]

I know it’s early in ownership, but has anyone put the Michelin PS4 on their 18”? Impressions?

Reactions: Blue in NC
Well, since they are the same width, you are paying for an extra half inch of side wall :) [yes, it’s strange Tesla spec’d more expensive tires on the 18.]

I know it’s early in ownership, but has anyone put the Michelin PS4 on their 18”? Impressions?
I am interested in this question. I put the Michelin PS4s on my BMW 328i and really like them. I was thinking of switching to the PS4s from day one on the Model 3 but I would like to hear if anyone has real-world experience and whether it's worth the swap cost.

I have Pirelli P Zeros now and actually would be thrilled with them lasting 20k :). I drive less than 10,000 miles a year so end up replacing less often (also means it will be a while before I burn through the starter set). My current car is a 3-year lease coming due in two weeks and I have 25k miles on it.

Which P Zero? I am running the All Season Plus so I get best of both worlds and 50K mileage guarantee.

Couldn't agree more. I did not like the 19" square option at all and they weigh a lot. I didn't want the same issues as the MS with the 21" turbines and blowouts so going 20's wasn't even an option for me. The 19's do everything the 20's do and give me that peace of mind that I won't hit a pothole and blow out a tire or bend a rim. They cost double the factory option but people are banging my door down to get my old 18's as backups. Once I confirm the setup, they are gone! It's only been 2 weeks on this combo and they are working great. Just finalizing the lowering setup with Unplugged here in LA. It appears the new 2018 M3 has a different rear suspension setup than the 2017...hummmmm. So the springs actually lower the car MORE than originally engineered...work in progress. Car goes back Monday for engineering. Update you later on that one...

Hmm haven't yet heard about how the 2018 springs are lower.. I need to read up on this

Hmm haven't yet heard about how the 2018 springs are lower.. I need to read up on this

Version 2 springs are 15mm lower than 2017 model springs. Nobody can really determine exactly when the swap took place so you need to measure your ride height from center of wheel well to ground. Rear should be 1/2" lower in stock setting. Some with 18" are saying 29" front to 28.5" rear and 19's are 28.75" v 28.25". Ride is significantly better on the new stock springs.

Would like to be able to order with 18" summer tires directly to save trouble switching and selling. All seasons are pointless in socal, switching to summer performance has made such a difference in the past on my s2000.

I would disagree. It totally depends on the use and how many miles you drive per year. If you put low miles on a car, then performance is fine but if you commute and drive a lot (I drive 20000+) per year, then the All Season are a much better deal since you get the 50000 mileage guarantee. The summer tires are usually 20,000-30,000 miles max, and if you have a staggered setup, it's 1/2 that amount. Unless you love spending over $1000 a year on tires, knock yourself out, but I want performance and mileage out of my setup. To each his own...

I would disagree. It totally depends on the use and how many miles you drive per year. If you put low miles on a car, then performance is fine but if you commute and drive a lot (I drive 20000+) per year, then the All Season are a much better deal since you get the 50000 mileage guarantee. The summer tires are usually 20,000-30,000 miles max, and if you have a staggered setup, it's 1/2 that amount. Unless you love spending over $1000 a year on tires, knock yourself out, but I want performance and mileage out of my setup. To each his own...

If you want performance then the all seasons are crap.

They call them all seasons beause they suck- in all seasons.

Above 40 degrees summer tires will stop shorter, accelerate better, and handle better 100% of the time.

Yes they do probably wear out faster than mediocre all seasons- but I'll take significantly better stopping distance, handling, and acceleration over having crap tires that last longer ever time.

Below 40 degrees winter tires beat all seasons at everything too.

Whenever folks test all 3 types the all seasons come in 2nd or 3rd at basically everything in every condition.