Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18" wheel on model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it safe to put smaller tires (ex: 18 inches) than 19 inches for a model Y?
of course it's safe; done properly.
however, you have to pay attention to clearances.
the wheels have to clear the brake calipers and have the proper offsets to the tires clear the suspension bits and don't stick out of the wheel wells.
the tires have to be the proper diameter so as to clear the steering knuckles in the front, and proper width to clear the suspension bits.

there's plenty of info here on these threads.

of course it's safe; done properly.
however, you have to pay attention to clearances.
the wheels have to clear the brake calipers and have the proper offsets to the tires clear the suspension bits and don't stick out of the wheel wells.
the tires have to be the proper diameter so as to clear the steering knuckles in the front, and proper width to clear the suspension bits.

there's plenty of info here on these threads.
I will add make sure your wheels carry the proper weight limit

the wheels have to clear the brake calipers
That would have to include any stick-on wheel weights.

On my 2010 Honda Fit, I had to buy new 17” wheels because the wheel weights on 16” that I had would not clear the upgraded brake calipers.

Sure, you can use clip-on weights… but alloy wheels and clip ons are usually a “no” for a couple of reasons, mostly aesthetics.

Is it safe to put smaller tires (ex: 18 inches) than 19 inches for a model Y?
18" tires are technically bigger than 19". The outside diameter remains the same however the inside diameter is smaller resulting in a higher sidewall. There are more choices to be had in 18" sizes and in general they are also cheaper plus having more sidewall they give a slightly better ride compared to the 19s. No issues at all going from 19 to 18.

Reactions: 455dan
...why would you want to?
as example:
I have some off-road requirements that the 19" OEM tires on a MYLR would fail (or be higher suspect to marooning me).
I acquired some M3 18" Aero wheels and put BFG Trail-Terrain tires on them for my excursions.
Slightly taller than OEM and more sidewall. They actually ride smoother and sound no worse than OEM.

But for the general public, the pursuit of a smoother ride might be sufficient to explore a smaller wheel.
However, there are few 18" wheels that will clear the MYLR brake calipers and fewer still clearing the larger MYP calipers.
So it takes some insight and knowledge to achieve.

• Informative
Reactions: EVer Hopeful
Yep, I just installed a set of 18” on my new MYP.
1680490101485.jpeg