Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18" wheel on model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you can use the 18" Method MR502, which clears MYP brakes no problem. And the new BFG Trail-Terrain tires are great as well.
View attachment 805689
Very intriguing.

I am going to buy a set of winter wheels tires for the YP and being for winter use don't really care to much about looks.
Do not want to pay 2K just for wheels. Our roads have lots of pot holes So these wheels look like THE Affordable Option for me. Also a fan of BFG's, but since this is for winter and we get a lot of Icy roads will probably look for factory siped With studs.

That said, are there any other wheels in 18" that will fit the MY Performance without spacers / modifications and are affordable. I am a fan of five spoke wheels on 5 lug hubs.

I have a Rim clamp tire machine and electronic balancer so will doing the mounting and balancing myself as with our other vehicles.
Suggestions Welcome, Thanks

Last edited:
Very intriguing.

I am going to buy a set of winter wheels tires for the YP and being for winter use don't really care to much about looks.
Do not want to pay 2K just for wheels. Our roads have lots of pot holes So these wheels look like THE Affordable Option for me. Also a fan of BFG's, but since this is for winter and we get a lot of Icy roads will probably look for factory siped With studs.

That said, are there any other wheels in 18" that will fit the MY Performance without spacers / modifications and are affordable. I am a fan of five spoke wheels on 5 lug hubs.

I have a Rim clamp tire machine and electronic balancer so will doing the mounting and balancing myself as with our other vehicles.
I've not looked in a while but suspect more have become available.
the early list was the Method wheel and the Martians. Both will clear MYP rear brake calipers.
depending on your model year, the MYP went to MYLR brake calipers in the rear so that could be helpful.
TSportline has some but I'm not a fan, TSW may have some in the less expensive domain.

I've not looked in a while but suspect more have become available.
the early list was the Method wheel and the Martians. Both will clear MYP rear brake calipers.
depending on your model year, the MYP went to MYLR brake calipers in the rear so that could be helpful.
TSportline has some but I'm not a fan, TSW may have some in the less expensive domain.
Thanks, My YP is a March of 2023 build.

Definitely want to keep the hub centric design and do it without any hub rings or worse, spacers that utilize lug studs. from a limited search a 64.1mm hub center comes up

Will check out TSW Very much looking forward to trying 18" wheels and tires with some "actual" side wall for the winter.

Apparently the Method wheels are out of stock at the moment since I had to request notification when they become available. Do like how strong they are but just read they are Not a hub centric wheel without center adaptor rings.
I have fought problems with non hub centric wheels in the past.

Price has increased to $300 a wheel and not sure there is free shipping.

These look interesting and are affordable but weight rating is not listed nor do they state they will fit/clear on a 23 YP- but they do have the 64.1 mm center bore. Argh.

Last edited:
Very intriguing.

Tirerack.com has options.

Thanks, My YP is a March of 2023 build.

Definitely want to keep the hub centric design and do it without any hub rings or worse, spacers that utilize lug studs. from a limited search a 64.1mm hub center comes up

Will check out TSW Very much looking forward to trying 18" wheels and tires with some "actual" side wall for the winter.

Apparently the Method wheels are out of stock at the moment since I had to request notification when they become available. Do like how strong they are but just read they are Not a hub centric wheel without center adaptor rings.
I have fought problems with non hub centric wheels in the past.

Price has increased to $300 a wheel and not sure there is free shipping.

These look interesting and are affordable but weight rating is not listed nor do they state they will fit/clear on a 23 YP- but they do have the 64.1 mm center bore. Argh.
really problematic trying to work this situation thru eBay.
you need to fully understand / test fit before buying there; you're more or less on your own.

if you've got a Discount Tires (Americas Tires), or some trusted wheel/tire shop in your area might be better approach.
be aware that these shops will argue with you on non-standard sizes since they often have insurance issues.

The 2023 MYP is using rear brake calipers from the MYLR, so an 18" M3 Aero wheelset should work and can be had as takeoffs pretty cheap.
If they don't work out, you can offload them pretty easily as well.

Thanks, been watching for used wheels on CL and FBMP.

I may call up some of the wrecking yard dismantlers and see if they have any M3 Aero's unless a real good deal pops up will go with the following because Really want 18's in a 5 spoke design.

With some more research I was able to find lots of hub ring adaptors and also see some wheels will either need to have a divot ground out on the wheel back, or the rotor retaining bolt removed. You would think Tesla could do it like many other companies an use a tapered recessed tapered flat head (flush) bolt for a retainer. Not a big deal.

Closest Discount Tire is about 50 miles away.
We do have Perfection and Les Schwab locally. I won't Go to Les Schwab anymore for anything. They Lifted my one ton diesel on the running boards to mount tires.
8500lb diesel truck lifted on the body mounts- not the frame. SMH.
Dented all of my Stainless trim rings beating on them (Trans Am) and using a torque wrench on lugs after cranking them down with an air impact and None turn to final torque is a Joke because they are already way over the spec.
Oh well rant over on that, but that was the final straw that pushed me into to buying a tire machine and balancer and doing it myself for years now.

After some more thought I have decided I really do want 5 spoke style wheels. Something like attached below.

Perfection does have an available wheel look up ap. , but like most others I believe it is eliminating some options when looked up under MYP especially since Tesla has switched to the standard/LR rear Caliper. Since I have some time before winter may just order in a single wheel buy it and a used tire in the 18" size I will likely go with and and just test fit at Home. Worst case pay a local restocking fee. Going to need to order the Bluetooth Air Pressure Sensors as well.

I can handle the look of the Ubers but just am not enamored with any of the "arachnid" wheel designs especially if paying over $800 just for the wheels.

In this case maybe just my out of date preferences, since I did a search and could not find even one pic on a google search of a common design 5 spoke aluminum wheel set actually mounted on a Model Y.

Attachments

• vsw-s1577_rn_xl    5 spoke.jpg
    vsw-s1577_rn_xl 5 spoke.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Thanks, been watching for used wheels on CL and FBMP.

I may call up some of the wrecking yard dismantlers and see if they have any M3 Aero's unless a real good deal pops up will go with the following because Really want 18's in a 5 spoke design.

With some more research I was able to find lots of hub ring adaptors and also see some wheels will either need to have a divot ground out on the wheel back, or the rotor retaining bolt removed. You would think Tesla could do it like many other companies an use a tapered recessed tapered flat head (flush) bolt for a retainer. Not a big deal.

Closest Discount Tire is about 50 miles away.
We do have Perfection and Les Schwab locally. I won't Go to Les Schwab anymore for anything. They Lifted my one ton diesel on the running boards to mount tires.
8500lb diesel truck lifted on the body mounts- not the frame. SMH.
Dented all of my Stainless trim rings beating on them (Trans Am) and using a torque wrench on lugs after cranking them down with an air impact and None turn to final torque is a Joke because they are already way over the spec.
Oh well rant over on that, but that was the final straw that pushed me into to buying a tire machine and balancer and doing it myself for years now.

After some more thought I have decided I really do want 5 spoke style wheels. Something like attached below.

Perfection does have an available wheel look up ap. , but like most others I believe it is eliminating some options when looked up under MYP especially since Tesla has switched to the standard/LR rear Caliper. Since I have some time before winter may just order in a single wheel buy it and a used tire in the 18" size I will likely go with and and just test fit at Home. Worst case pay a local restocking fee. Going to need to order the Bluetooth Air Pressure Sensors as well.

I can handle the look of the Ubers but just am not enamored with any of the "arachnid" wheel designs especially if paying over $800 just for the wheels.

In this case maybe just my out of date preferences, since I did a search and could not find even one pic on a google search of a common design 5 spoke aluminum wheel set actually mounted on a Model Y.
My favorite 5 spoke.
a little pricey, but hey.

Reactions: 455dan
Yeah Those are Good Looking wheels.
A little more research shows newer Mustangs also utilize the same basic wheel specs- other than center hole and whether a weight rating can be found.
Many of the Stock Stang wheels are 5 spoke.

I bought used M3 18" wheels for $100 each (purchased on the forum here), then put 255/55/18 tires on them.
They're 29" diameter and have 1" more sidewall than the stock 19' Gemini with Conti 255/45/18, at 28" diameter and 4.5" sidewall.
They provide improved ride comfort. They're available. The tires protect the wheel width better, protecting them from curb rash.
They fit no problem, and are ascetically more pleasing; they fill the wheel well a bit more
What tires and would you do it again

Unless you track your vehicle or have a commute on the Pacific Highway...1) lower unsprung weight for improved acceleration and efficiency; 2) lower tire cost with arguably more tire options 3) a higher sidewall for a more comfortable ride, less rim damage from potholes or curbs; and 4) for some, improved aesthetics.

Look like an 18" of the 19 Sport wheel.

I have a 2024 MYLR with 19" Geminis wearing OEM 255/45R19s. I'm looking for comfort.
There are some takeoff M3 Highland Photons with 235/45R18 Hankooks available.

1713046871225.png
That seems like just less tire. I can imagine it might be more efficient but definitely less comfortable.
So is the only way to get more comfort by swapping down to an 18" rim getting new bigger tires as well?

1713048689819.png

Reactions: gt2690b