Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" Turbine Wheel Solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
JakeP I wanted to thank you personally your posts have been very helpful. I also just received my silver on black 60mm Center cap stickers. I also followed your instructions for ordering the extra center caps from tirerack. My Rial Lugano Wheels with IceX tires just got shipped. My P85 has been sitting in the garage for the last few weeks after I got it since I couldn't drive in the snow with Summer Performance Wheels. Can't wait to get these on the car and start enjoying the car.

Cheers Draftik, my pleasure to return some helpful info to the TMC forum, which has been a treasure trove for me over the past few years. Enjoy the Rials when they arrive, you will need them up in Rochester...I grew up in Syracuse! Be careful with hard acceleration for the first few hundred miles, if your back end is anywhere near as squirrely as mine was on the brand-new treads!

Finished my center cap modification. Basically, I used Bondo to fill in the "RIAL" logo on the center cap. Then I sanded the entire cap down, preserving the filled in logo. After this, I sprayed the cap with primer and affixed Roger's excellent Tesla "T" sticker. I then sprayed it with a metallic gunmetal color, and when dry removed the Tesla "T" logo. Finally, I sprayed the entire cap with clear coat. Here are the results.

step1.jpg

Figure 1: The original cap. The cap is masked off (I didn't do this subsequently because I ended up sanding the entire cap.) Then, I applied the Bondo.

step2.jpg

Figure 2: The sanded cap. Sprayed with primer. Tesla logo placed on the cap.

step3.jpg

Figure 3: The cap sprayed with gunmetal, and then the Tesla sticker is removed.

step4.jpg

Figure 4: The finished product, after applying clear coat spray. They are drying in my boiler closet for the next 24 hours before putting it on the wheel. I'll coat this with Gtechniq C5 probably later in the next couple of weeks. I was pretty happy with the clear coat spray -- there's a good amount of gloss evident. One of the caps has a few dust particles embedded in the clear, so I might have to wet sand it. I'm not sure it would be that noticeable, however.

Last edited:
Those are superb, Kevin!

That may be my next project...I just cleaned the car off after a long rainy trip yesterday, and noticed a whitish-blue rim under the edge of my 3DCarStickers. I fear they are lifting up and/or did coloring. It may have been too cold in the garage when I put them on.

Those are superb, Kevin!

That may be my next project...I just cleaned the car off after a long rainy trip yesterday, and noticed a whitish-blue rim under the edge of my 3DCarStickers. I fear they are lifting up and/or did coloring. It may have been too cold in the garage when I put them on.

That's basically why I was weary of using stickers. I didn't think they would stand up to the slush, rain, salt and snow of the Midwest.

This is where I get confused. All the stickers on the doors say 38/40 psi, but on the forums, it recommends 45 psi. So, which should it be?

You have 21" wheels on a P85+, right, with different tires front to back?

That's different from regular 21" tires that need 42 psi and 19" tires that need 45 psi (my car's door sticker says so).

I set mine to 45 PSI Cold. And yes hitting the TPMS reset button did the trick. Just go for a 10 mile drive afterwards -- worked like a charm. So glad the new firmware has TPMS reset as I'd have to pay $100 for Ranger service since I'm so far from a SC. Took the car out first time after putting on the winter wheels and it took twice as long to get any service from the Dairy Queen drive Thru as all the employees wanted to check out the car :)

You have 21" wheels on a P85+, right, with different tires front to back?

That's different from regular 21" tires that need 42 psi and 19" tires that need 45 psi (my car's door sticker says so).

Personally, I would trust what Tesla states right on the car's sticker over what is discussed here :smile:

This is where I get confused. All the stickers on the doors say 38/40 psi, but on the forums, it recommends 45 psi. So, which should it be?

ysyvu3ud.jpg

The Michelin PS2s on the P85+ are lower. So your stickers are correct.

It's also different for air suspension vs coil suspension for the non-P85+. Here is the official TSB from Tesla showing what they should be set to: http://craigfroehle.com/posted/ModelS_Alignment.pdf

As shown, if you have 19s and coil suspension, it should be 42psi. If you have 19s and air suspension, it should be 45psi. If you have 21s on non-plus pkg it's always 42psi regardless of suspension. If you have the staggered setup for P85+, it's 38psi front and 40psi rear.

Last edited: