Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" vs 21" Wheels Pros and Cons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 19" wheels to me are MUCH better in person than I thought via the pictures. I previously thought the wheel well was way too big and it just looked silly ... but it doesn't look like that in person. Now I'm kinda wondering about going with 19's... (NE winter, potholes, etc)
I didn't drive or ride in one with 19's though ...

@cinergi - I drove a non-performance w/ 19" wheels...I thought it felt sloppy and loose in high speed turns...that said, I have the performance w/ 21" wheels on order and expect that to behave better when I want to be aggressive.

Compared to what vehicle(s)? I'm trying to calibrate your commentary for my mental model. Thanks.
Really difficult to compare cars without also knowing what tire pressures were set to which can make a huge difference in road feel. The 19" wheels are equipped with all-season tires, too. Having the same tire mounted on each wheel would also minimize any difference.

Really, a sport oriented 245/45 tire should not feel floppy - but an all-season tire could definitely squirm a bit in comparison.

@brainman M3 most recently for me, but also compared to other German-based sports-tuned vehicles I have driven on occasion (Audi S & Benz AMG)...they felt much tighter to me and more firmly grounded. I am chalking it up to tires and tuning - still bullish that the Model S performance version will compete, but honestly not buying it that reason. I just like the idea of getting all of the eco, styling and performance aesthetics in one package.

I have a similar dilemma. I'm getting the non-performance Signature Model S and selected the 21" wheels when I configured the car. Just couldn't bring myself to leave yet another $3500 on the table. I just wonder whether my being cheap about the downgrade will cost me even more money because I'll have to buy and store a set of 19" wheels.

I've only ever had all-season tires and never thought twice about them. I know how to drive in snow though rarely have to actually do it, living in Maryland. But I wonder if the 21" tires will be so bad that I'll want to get the winter wheel package rumored to be available. My company doesn't ever have snow days. I also wonder about durability of the 21" wheels and tires, as I live in downtown Baltimore and daily traverse pot holes and cobblestones. Still toying with the idea of swapping wheels with a regular reservation holder and splitting the $3500 with them...

I could swear there was rumor that Tesla would have an harsh climate option so you could get two sets of rims. Did I imagine that? I never looked, do the rims have anything Tesla specific on them (e.g. a logo)? If so, I can certainly seem some value in getting both sets of rims from Tesla.

I wouldn't need that option here in Portland, OR, but there's a big chunk of folks in other areas that would.

I could swear there was rumor that Tesla would have an harsh climate option so you could get two sets of rims. Did I imagine that? I never looked, do the rims have anything Tesla specific on them (e.g. a logo)? If so, I can certainly seem some value in getting both sets of rims from Tesla.

I wouldn't need that option here in Portland, OR, but there's a big chunk of folks in other areas that would.

Discussions with some reps during the canadian beta tour, amongst others, generated this rumor of a planned 'winter package'.

No details from Tesla to date, but IMHO it is likely to happen, at least in certain markets (for example here in Quebec winter tires are mandatory by law during several months, and many people have two sets of wheels for their vehicles).

While I am still not 100% sure about my wheel choice, I am leaning more towards getting the perf with 21' rims for the summer (short as it may be) and a set of 19' for winter tires. I may change my mind if others have negative comments on the low profile tires on our post-apocalyptic roads, but as is the case with many here losing $3,500 with a downgrade to 19' rubs me the wrong way.

Of course, canadian pricing will also affect my choice, but that is a different topic...

Last edited:
losing $3 said:
So they are paying you 3500 to 'try out' their 21s. So take the cash and buy a 19in aftermarket set just as winter arrives, with your choice of winter tread. Where I come from they'd call this a no-brainer.

However, I just now saved my initial Garage Design attempt. The list just said: "19in included" so I left that alone. Now I learn here in Forum about the 21 in rebate thingy. Its like we're entering Mad Hattersville!! Would not 'full disclosure' require at least an asterisk next to the "19 in included" choice?? I.e., choosing this box will cost you 3.5k cash!! If something is so counter-intuitive, seems Tesla should properly flag it.
--

However, I just now saved my initial Garage Design attempt. The list just said: "19in included" so I left that alone. Now I learn here in Forum about the 21 in rebate thingy. Its like we're entering Mad Hattersville!! Would not 'full disclosure' require at least an asterisk next to the "19 in included" choice?? I.e., choosing this box will cost you 3.5k cash!! If something is so counter-intuitive, seems Tesla should properly flag it.
--

On a non-performance, non-sig Model S the 21" wheels are a $3500 option. The 21" wheels are included with all Signature and Performance cars. You just don't get any credit if you would prefer to have the 19" wheels.

So they are paying you 3500 to 'try out' their 21s. So take the cash and buy a 19in aftermarket set just as winter arrives, with your choice of winter tread. Where I come from they'd call this a no-brainer.

There is no such rebate (yet, anyway!). I was referring to the perceived loss of $3,500 when buying a performance S but opting for 19' wheels instead of the included 21' low-profiles. This has already been the numerous discussions /polls.

I have a similar dilemma. I'm getting the non-performance Signature Model S and selected the 21" wheels when I configured the car. Just couldn't bring myself to leave yet another $3500 on the table. I just wonder whether my being cheap about the downgrade will cost me even more money because I'll have to buy and store a set of 19" wheels.

I've only ever had all-season tires and never thought twice about them. I know how to drive in snow though rarely have to actually do it, living in Maryland. But I wonder if the 21" tires will be so bad that I'll want to get the winter wheel package rumored to be available. My company doesn't ever have snow days. I also wonder about durability of the 21" wheels and tires, as I live in downtown Baltimore and daily traverse pot holes and cobblestones. Still toying with the idea of swapping wheels with a regular reservation holder and splitting the $3500 with them...
These high performance, low profile tires are not only bad for snow and ice, but according to product overview of them on Tirerack, not advised for temps approaching freezing either.
This is from the Tirerack.com site... "The ExtremeContact DW (DW for Dry & Wet) is Continental Tire's Max Performance Summer tire developed for the drivers of sports cars, sports coupes and performance sedans. The ExtremeContact DW is designed to deliver good ride quality and serious performance on both dry and wet roads. Like all summer tires, the ExtremeContact DW is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

After thinking more about it, I think a relatively easy solution to the 19" 'downgrade' issue for many Performance and Sig folks might be for Tesla to find and offer a 19" wheel that looks like the 21" turbine wheels that come standard with our cars.
At least something that differentiates from the standard 19" wheels and looks really sharp would, I think help most of us feel a bit better about moving down to 19". They should be an upgrade for standard version buyers and an even swap for Perf and Sig Res holders.
Actually, there have been a number of pics of such wheels posted over at the "Would you buy 19 inch turbine wheels?" thread
Would you buy 19 inch turbine wheels?

Last edited: