Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st EAP feature for AP2/2.5 reportedly released tonight: auto lane change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have a AP1 or AP2 baseline, but my AP2.5 car has been pretty darn good when in autopilot and with signal stalk initiated lane changes. All has been smooth except for 2 lane changes that it aborted halfway through, which was slightly jarring. Have probably initiated 30-40ish in my few weeks of ownership as I have had a couple long drives on I-95.

Frankly, TACC has been a bit more annoying. It has a habit of randomly slowing down when nothing is in front of the car. That really sucks.

I am on 2017.40.1

My AP2 car downloaded 17.40 last night. Today it comfortably aced this left hand turn on a rural road with zero lane markings on the first try with the new firmware (the first, reports @verygreen to have a new neural net in quite some time or ever). All earlier firmware releases failed this curve for me. Note that I did not get 17.38 so I can't comment on it. An AP1 rental last spring handled it - barely - swerving away from the dirt at the last moment with a sudden jerk of the wheel. This AP2 release handles it much smoother. Bravo!

Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 10.25.26 PM.png

My AP2 car downloaded 17.40 last night. Today it comfortably aced this left hand turn on a rural road with zero lane markings on the first try with the new firmware (the first, reports @verygreen to have a new neural net in quite some time or ever). All earlier firmware releases failed this curve for me. Note that I did not get 17.38 so I can't comment on it. An AP1 rental last spring handled it - barely - swerving away from the dirt at the last moment with a sudden jerk of the wheel. This AP2 release handles it much smoother. Bravo!View attachment 255045

I live on a 20 mile long, paved country road. It was center striped for the first time two days ago; had been totally unmarked previously, not allowing me to even engage my AP1 car. Last night I went out for a drive for the first time to see how AP1 would do on the road with the new center stripe. It performed about like you described the AP1 rental. Pretty sketchy - couldn't find the true middle of lane - kept wanting to go in the ditch or cross the center. I wasn't expecting much on this kind of a road honestly and am not disappointed, mostly it was really interesting to have such a controlled test. One day no paint and no engagement. The next, a center stripe and engagement, but not great performance. Honestly it sounds like an AP2 car would handle this use case better.

Find it hard to believe that this is auto-lane change and not some coincidental driving behaviour caused by lane markings/tar lines/etc.

Firstly, the rumours don't mention whether or not the car indicated what it was doing in some way. Most people with AP experience would instinctively take over from the car as soon as they thought it was drifting out of the lane, unless the car had explicitly warned it was about to do something (i.e. indicators)

And secondly, surely the car would need the rear-facing cameras to be active to be sure that it was safe to move?

Happy to be wrong on this :)

On using the side cameras, we have seen cars in side lanes when changing lanes. Erik and David’s videos, for one example, clearly show this. I though we had decided the ‘other two’ cameras were the rear looking side ones all along?

I’m not sure this new feature is a thing, as the knowledge processing (decision) would be interesting, but the discussion is interesting. :D

My AP2 car downloaded 17.40 last night. Today it comfortably aced this left hand turn on a rural road with zero lane markings on the first try with the new firmware (the first, reports @verygreen to have a new neural net in quite some time or ever). All earlier firmware releases failed this curve for me. Note that I did not get 17.38 so I can't comment on it. An AP1 rental last spring handled it - barely - swerving away from the dirt at the last moment with a sudden jerk of the wheel. This AP2 release handles it much smoother. Bravo!

Seeing as .40 has a new neural net since a long while, this experience makes sense. The new NN handles that scenario better, it seems.

Find it hard to believe that this is auto-lane change and not some coincidental driving behaviour caused by lane markings/tar lines/etc.

Have you had your car swerve by tar lines? I have and it does not feel anything like a controlled lane change.

Firstly, the rumours don't mention whether or not the car indicated what it was doing in some way.

What rumours? All we have are tweets by the owner of Model 3 Club. I am assuming (perhaps prematurely) that he, being the guy who runs the site, is likely to have personal contacts inside the beta program and that they have likely spoken on the phone together about this and had a conversation -enough to rule out random swerves on tar lines. Of course I might be wrong.

Unless Tesla states in the release notes that an EAP feature has been released, we're all just guessing on what did or didn't change in a release.

Haven't seen an update on our S 100D for a few weeks, so we aren't yet on the latest release. Since I can't trust the AP2 software to stay inside the lane now, and usually have to override it when it wants to dive out of the lane - seems like we'd need considerable improvements in the software before I'd be able to trust it to automatically change lanes.

If/when that feature is enabled, hopefully there will be an indication on the dashboard that the software is intentionally doing the lane change - and not just making the same mistakes we've been seeing in the AP2 software.