Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st Electricity Bill since purchasing the tesla.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey there- relatively new Tesla owner here. I was wondering the same because my landlord blamed me for the increased energy expenditure (utilities are included in rent). To disprove our sudden $120 increase in electric, I created a spreadsheet to resolve the issue and prove that my car is not to blame. I pray it really isn't though because I only used to spend $60/ month on gas. Feel free to check out and/or my blank spreadsheet on google sheets. I would LOVE feedback to help make it more accurate.
Shareable EV Charger Log

It's likely your car causing the electric to go up. The electric rate per kwh is almost never the total cost of electric. Also it goes up after you pass a certain amount in some places. You car is also using more electric than it charges so if that's how your trying to calculate it it's wrong you need a meter. The car using electric to heat or cool the battery and charge and run the computers or whatever else.

• Informative
Reactions: eevee-fan
I just read the OP's post and not the 150 comments in between, but his original post is crazy!
If you read these threads you can count on your bill going up roughly $1/day and mine fell right in line with it.

That blanket statement is short sighted. A person paying 6 cents per KwH vs. 22 cents per KwH will not have the same increase.
I pay 19.5 cents per KwH and not seeing much savings over my previous 41.1 MPG car.

Reactions: mswlogo
That blanket statement is short sighted. A person paying 6 cents per KwH vs. 22 cents per KwH will not have the same increase.
I pay 19.5 cents per KwH and not seeing much savings over my previous 41.1 MPG car.

and in contrast I pay 2.79 cents per KwH to charge the car- my bill actually went down when I got an EV because only EV owners get access to the plan I'm on with the electric company.

Hey there- relatively new Tesla owner here. I was wondering the same because my landlord blamed me for the increased energy expenditure (utilities are included in rent). To disprove our sudden $120 increase in electric, I created a spreadsheet to resolve the issue and prove that my car is not to blame. I pray it really isn't though because I only used to spend $60/ month on gas. Feel free to check out and/or my blank spreadsheet on google sheets. I would LOVE feedback to help make it more accurate.
Shareable EV Charger Log

My only comments:

Charging efficiency is 88.4-90% assuming 7.7kW charging. Divide usage in car by 0.884 rather than multiplying by 1.1.

If you really want to do this, buy a measurement device for this circuit which allows you to track energy usage. Really the only fair easy way to quantify this for your landlord.

For quick estimates: just multiply your kWh on your in-car meter (use one lifetime meter and take pictures periodically, or whatever) by 1.25 minimum, and in winter use 1.4. Very simple rule of thumb and quite accurate. It's extremely rare indeed for wall usage to be less than 1.25 times what is shown in the car (obviously excluding energy replenished by supercharging, etc.)

As far as your rates, make sure you really are using the per kWh rate accounting for all the different components, and the time of use. I don't know why the electric companies make it so difficult to read the bill, but that's the way it goes.

Reactions: mswlogo
My only comments:

Charging efficiency is 88.4-90% assuming 7.7kW charging. Divide usage in car by 0.884 rather than multiplying by 1.1.

If you really want to do this, buy a measurement device for this circuit which allows you to track energy usage. Really the only fair easy way to quantify this for your landlord.

For quick estimates: just multiply your kWh on your in-car meter (use one lifetime meter and take pictures periodically, or whatever) by 1.25 minimum, and in winter use 1.4. Very simple rule of thumb and quite accurate. It's extremely rare indeed for wall usage to be less than 1.25 times what is shown in the car (obviously excluding energy replenished by supercharging, etc.)

As far as your rates, make sure you really are using the per kWh rate accounting for all the different components, and the time of use. I don't know why the electric companies make it so difficult to read the bill, but that's the way it goes.
Living in NC, they state quite clearly the peak and off peak times and usage. The meter is different which I stated was free and installation as well.

Living in NC, they state quite clearly the peak and off peak times and usage.

It's the same here in San Diego on the website when you look at their time-of-use presentation and FAQ page: very clear. However, I was referring to the bill - when you look at that, it can be quite confusing to determine what your rate per kWh was. Of course, I already know it, so it doesn't matter. But for someone who looks at their bill to figure out what happened...

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
It's the same here in San Diego on the website when you look at their time-of-use presentation and FAQ page: very clear. However, I was referring to the bill - when you look at that, it can be quite confusing to determine what your rate per kWh was. Of course, I already know it, so it doesn't matter. But for someone who looks at their bill to figure out what happened...
Interesting...Our bill actually shows this info. Did you need a new meter ? Cost/installation? I don't understand why they can't supply that info --they probably read the meter monthly and transmit that info to your billing.

Interesting...Our bill actually shows this info. Did you need a new meter ? Cost/installation? I don't understand why they can't supply that info --they probably read the meter monthly and transmit that info to your billing.
Here's an example of part of our bill. I think many would agree that it is confusing:
upload_2020-2-17_15-12-27.png

upload_2020-2-17_15-10-16.png

Here's an example of part of our bill. I think many would agree that it is confusing:
View attachment 512193
View attachment 512191

If someone likes to see the entire rate schedule on their bill every month it doesn't seem very confusing at all. For those who are oblivious to the complexities of utility rates, then yes it could be confusing. Being on a TOU plan in and of itself adds complexity to the billing.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Shareable EV Charger Log
Your landlord is insane. MD electric rates aren't anywhere near high enough to create a $120 in model 3 charging.

Reactions: GZDongles
We just got our model Y, we are on the PG&E E6 rate, and have solar (non-Tesla) and no Tesla Powerwalll. We will be charging the car at home during off-peak times, but we have solar, will other rates screw us? Yes, I know that E6 is going away at the end of 2022, but would you recommend we change rate plans now? If not we will wait till the end of 2022 to change.

I know it's an old topic, the person before me popped it up, but like the OP, if I had the opportunity to use even a Level 1 charger at work, I would! Turn off Sentry Mode at work and plug it in, get a good 60-70 miles per day of FREE CHARGE!!!

At my job, there's only one power outlet on the outside of the building, and to use it, my car would have to be parked where 3 security cameras can see it. Even though I work alone for the most part, I never know when the regional manager will stop in, and the risk of having to answer those types of questions is not worth the reward!

And it drives me crazy because at both this job and the previous one, I wanted to plug in at work so badly! When I was between these 2 jobs, I spent 2 weeks at a place that had an underground parking garage, and you can believe I checked that place out for power outlets and used them every single day!

zparkinglotarnoldwords.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Europe has more rational gasoline prices that are in line with what they really should be globally. It irritates my wife especially (economics major in college) how the gasoline in the United States is so artificially subsidized that Americans get spoiled this messed up idea that $2.XX per gallon is normal pricing. It's not. It really should be about $4 to $5 per gallon. And if it were, Americans wouldn't be such idiots in carelessly wasting it and would actually care about efficiency for a change and would consider more fuel efficient vehicles, like Europe does.

I agree with the thought but it's actually opposite. Gas in Europe is expensive because of taxes on gas. The "real" cost of gas is cheap but we don't count the "hidden" costs of gas. (Air pollution, health damage, production, etc) Europe puts that in to the cost of gas in the form of taxes. We don't do that in the US. We just have a gas tax that's different by state and a low federal tax on gas that hasn't changed since the 70s.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I agree with the thought but it's actually opposite. Gas in Europe is expensive because of taxes on gas. The "real" cost of gas is cheap but we don't count the "hidden" costs of gas. (Air pollution, health damage, production, etc) Europe puts that in to the cost of gas in the form of taxes. We don't do that in the US. We just have a gas tax that's different by state and a low federal tax on gas that hasn't changed since the 70s.

This is a good idea. Tax gas more and subsidize electricity. Eventually it will force the change for the better. Lots of problems with the cost of electric in specific states.

We just got our model Y, we are on the PG&E E6 rate, and have solar (non-Tesla) and no Tesla Powerwalll. We will be charging the car at home during off-peak times, but we have solar, will other rates screw us? Yes, I know that E6 is going away at the end of 2022, but would you recommend we change rate plans now? If not we will wait till the end of 2022 to change.

I was grandfathered on E-6 with solar, stupidly switched to EV-A only to get bumrushed to E-TOU-A and now E-TOU-C in short order.

There's a reason you're grandfathered, it's a great rate. Even with the shift this year to later peak period, it's probably still good unless you're driving a ton of miles. I say keep it and use their rate comparison tool to evaluate how you'd fare with the other plans -even though it'll only be accurate for the recent months you've had the Tesla, it gives you some idea. Set charging to start at midnight so that it'll give an accurate projection for EV2-A and E-TOU-C/D.

This is a good idea. Tax gas more and subsidize electricity. Eventually it will force the change for the better. Lots of problems with the cost of electric in specific states.
Noble thought but it won’t happen. Most people can’t afford a new car much less a new electric car.

If anything, I see us EV drivers getting targeted for increased registration dues more often.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Just got my first bill after buying a MYP and my electric bill averages around $70-80 a month and jumped to $153 with charging. I'm kind of... shocked at how much it cost to charge the car. I will have to look at the historical kw/mi, the car is currently in for service, but have only driven 1311 miles in that month. That works out to about $0.0556/mi. Not bad but not as good as I guess I was expecting.