Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$2.3 billion Icy Road Regenerative Braking Lawsuit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Bolt at 50 lb per kW of regen retard might be the highest. Is there an EV with more?

In any case, it's not regen, it's stability control that would keep the rear wheels from locking allowing the car to oversteer.

I have been surprised three times in 5 years by the regerative brakes in icy weather. One time I almost crashed. I came upon 10 cars .25 miles later that did crash on an interstate highway, where none of the other cars were Teslas. Maybe they are defective too? It is safer to be on low regen in the cold.

That's why you use regen Low in icy situations.

When driving on ice, for those unfamiliar, sudden velocity changes are bad. It's best to not use your brakes as much as possible and drive in a straight line. Any deviations to speed or steering can cause loss of traction. Source: driving on lots of solid ice during Texas winter storms (they were way worse than the snowy roads we used to get in Utah)

Solid advice, if only bad drivers would click the "I'm a bad driver, please disable regen" button before they put the car in drive.

At the least I guess Tesla should put another nag message about choosing the low regen profile if the temps outside are below 37F (all the car manufacturers use 37F as far as I know for icy road dash warnings. I don't know if they use 2C or 3C in metric climates).

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
1: Doesn't traction/ stability control override regenerative breaking?

re: 1. traction control / stability control is reactive not proactive. The regen causes the slide before the other system can begin to try and stop it. Also systems like that don't handle lateral sliding perfectly. They can make it better or worse depending on how they are programmed vs what is needed in the real world situation you experience.

I'd rather have them on because 99% of the time they keep you going where you want to go. But then I don't drive like I'm invincible when I see snow or ice. I tend to do the hard part myself and let the computer systems help me instead of depending on them as the primary.

And I've been driving with regen since my Gen II prius days so put me in any hybrid or EV and I'll be fine in the snow. Way easier than driving a gas only car since throttle response is linear and nearly instantaneous.

I can't believe anyone would drive an EV and not notice how regen feels before getting on the side of a cliff way up in the mountains. Did the driver not go through any cities in the valley, not a single red light or stop sign before climbing a mountain?

...the automaker had “developed and verified [a] safety feature” called “regen control” to limit the regenerative braking if the vehicle’s rear wheels start to slip. But according to the lawsuit, it's been 10 years and the Tesla vehicles still suffer from losing stability when the regenerative braking is engaged in snow or ice...

I am no engineer so I have no idea on the advancement of technology for driving on icy roads.

It's just like SpaceX that has been talking about its technology for sending people to Mars for the past 15 years and why not suing it for holding up the technology for all the years!

This lawsuit sounds like the current one from Son Ji-chang who claims Tesla technology should prevent his Model X from crashing through his garage wall into his living room.

Attachments

• chinagarage.JPG
    chinagarage.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 76
What kind of a dreadful driver could have caused this?

Also, quite a sad story from a couple who were killed by their own Lexus RX270 SUV while trying to park it:

Woman driver and her husband killed in freak car parking accident while she practiced reversing with six-year-old daughter in car | Daily Mail Online

That's why Tesla is trying to get Self-driving feature to the hands of public as soon as possible while others think they will later like in 2021.

AP2 is still in its infancy so I am not sure how soon that day will be before others' estimation.

I am not sure the technology will be good enough to deal with icy roads by that time either.

Last edited:
Tesla wont allow a regen "off" mode as driver's could turn it off an then the physical brakes would take a hammering which is not how the car is designed to be used.

With the finesse of the ESC possible with EVs I would be most surprised if the average driver could outperform the car's systems.

In other words most likely the OP was heading off the road regen or not and is just looking for someone/something to blame for his misfortune.