Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$2.3 billion Icy Road Regenerative Braking Lawsuit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove over the mountains here today for the first time in winter, and the Model X keeps impressing me. :)

It’s by far the best winter car I’ve driven, thanks to the regen. When you have to stop quickly and you start to slip, you can maximize deceleration by adjusting the regen exactly to the point where you start to slip. Very intuitive and effective. :)

D6C73C05-EED1-43EF-87D1-647E1D5511B0.jpeg

Reactions: pilotSteve
Sorry, I still don't get it. I have a RWD MS P85 from the old days (2014).

What if I slam the brakes. Shouldn't the ABS take care of regen and also the stability of the front wheels? That is what I would expect. All 4 wheels get the braking power determined by the ABS.

We only had one day of snow this winter and I couldn't check. If we get more snow, I ought to try this.

I drove over the mountains here today for the first time in winter, and the Model X keeps impressing me. :)

It’s by far the best winter car I’ve driven, thanks to the regen. When you have to stop quickly and you start to slip, you can maximize deceleration by adjusting the regen exactly to the point where you start to slip. Very intuitive and effective. :)

View attachment 270575

Cold picture.

And we’re complaining and in winter coats here in Naples this morning due to 50 degree temps with a very brisk north wind.

Sorry, I still don't get it. I have a RWD MS P85 from the old days (2014).

What if I slam the brakes. Shouldn't the ABS take care of regen and also the stability of the front wheels? That is what I would expect. All 4 wheels get the braking power determined by the ABS.

We only had one day of snow this winter and I couldn't check. If we get more snow, I ought to try this.
I've tried this and it does work but ABS will stop in a straight line. If I were to start skidding on a slick curve it might not help (and means that I was driving too fast for the conditions, as I said earlier).

Reactions: Johann Koeber
My experience in a D:

going up what turned out to be an icy hill in all seasons didn't work so I had to turn around and come down the icy hill.

While coming down I tried to hold the brakes and just inch my way down to steer around certain obstacles. Instead holding the brakes just locked the wheels and the car started sliding toward a curb on all four seemingly locked wheels, unresponsive to steering input. After resisting the tempation to just press harder on the brakes, I totally released the brakes and perhaps (I don't remember) engaged some accel pedal input which allowed me to regain steering input to steer away from obstacles but at the cost of going faster than desired. I managed to escape without hitting anything but just barely.

Lessons learned:
1. Winter tires before first freeze
2. Don't rely on ABS to continue to give you enough wheel roll to maintain steering input. Might have to release brakes and perhaps give some accel or out in neutral.

I didn't experience the regen fish tail in my D, but I did see a YouTube video of the issue in an old rwd S.