Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative braking on icy roads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
100% agree with @jcanoe. We drive in those conditions regularly (almost daily) and I would strongly recommend that you also try putting the car in off-road assist as well. It also puts your car in chill, but the distributed braking and 4 wheel drive full time also helps greatly with preventing the momentary loss of traction from occurring in the first place.
It's strange that the older cars still have the ability to adjust the regen but the newer cars with the same software cannot.

It's strange that the older cars still have the ability to adjust the regen but the newer cars with the same software cannot.
I'm not sure why they took that away. You can do it with S3XY buttons, but actually the whole package works better in my opinion. If you Snow Mode with S3XY buttons = Off road assist as far as I know. It may also turn regen completely off, but I don't really find that's necessary.

Last edited:
First day on Ice with factory 20" tires, the regen brakes put me into a fish tail. The old method of letting off the accelerator when on ice is not going to work. Did switch to 19" winter tire package and have learned to just slightly feather off accelerator and seems much better. Going to need to relearn a bit, and that makes it a bit scary to be honest. I have driven in winters my entire life, and don't mind sliding around when I do it on purpose, but not a fan on a 2 lane road with on coming traffic. I would prefer to turn off regen when winter conditions exist. I love the regen all other times.
This is the issue I had as well. Has anyone tried putting it into service mode and burnishing the brakes just so you can drive temporarily without regen? Does that work? Do not have icy roads right now but getting ready…

This disables traction control but maybe that’s okay?
When it's engaged it shows a TC icon with a red line through it. But you feel the improved dynamics instantly on snow. So I agree with @GtiMart that it doesn't feel like TC is deactivated at all.

I wouldn't even think about driving on snow now without engaging Off Road Assist, unless I was really worried about range. Have a S3XY button to activate it right in front of me.

Copied from owners manual:

Traction Control
How It Works
The traction control system constantly monitors the speed of the front and rear wheels. If Model Y experiences a loss of traction, the system minimizes wheel spin by controlling brake pressure and motor power. By default, the traction control system is on. Under normal conditions, it should remain on to ensure maximum safety.
Yellow icon of a vehicle with twisty lines to show the tires have no traction.
This yellow indicator flashes on the touchscreen whenever the traction control system is actively controlling brake pressure and motor power to minimize wheel spin. If the indicator stays on, a fault is detected with the traction control system. Contact Tesla Service.
Warning
Traction control cannot prevent collisions caused by driving dangerously or turning too sharply at high speeds.
Disabling Traction Control
Under normal conditions, the traction control system should remain on. Turn it off only in circumstances where you deliberately want the wheels to spin, such as:
Starting on a loose surface, such as gravel or snow.
Driving in deep snow, sand or mud.
Rocking out of a hole or deep rut.
Driving off-road.
On Rear-Wheel Drive vehicles, turn off traction control and allow the wheels to spin by touching Controls > Pedals & Steering > Slip Start.
On All-Wheel Drive vehicles, you can choose one of these options, depending on the circumstances:
Slip Start is designed to make it easier to dislodge Model Y when stuck in mud, snow, ice, etc. Turning on Slip Start allows the wheels to spin, making it possible to rock Model Y out of a situation in which the wheels are stuck.
Off-Road Assist is designed to provide overall improvements when driving off-road. In addition to allowing the wheels to spin, Off-Road Assist balances the torque between the front and rear motors to optimize traction. Off-Road Assist improves traction on rough and soft surfaces where one side of the vehicle may lose traction while the other side still has traction. When Off-Road Assist is on, the accelerator pedal provides more gradual torque, which is useful for crawling at low speeds (for example, over rocky surfaces). When enabled, OFF-ROAD displays on the touchscreen above the driving speed.
After the circumstances that required you to turn on Slip Start or Off-Road Assist have passed, it is strongly recommended that you turn the setting off to re-enable traction control. If you leave these settings on, Traction Control automatically re-enables on your next drive.
Yellow icon of the letters "TC" with a line going diagonally across them.
When you turn on Slip Start or Off-Road Assist, the touchscreen displays an indicator

Absolutely. 50-50 is the main benefit, both for acceleration and regen, IMO. That's why I use it.

I used to monitor the power going to front and rear motor using ScanMyTesla in my old dual motor Model S. It adjust dynamically based on speed and accelerator pedal position. Once the ambient temperature drops below 0 degree Celsius, both motors are powered exactly 50/50 at acceleration, normal driving and during regen. Looks like the car automatically does the right thing when there is risk of a slippery road. I will check with my new Y when it gets cold enough here, but I assume it'll be the same

I used to monitor the power going to front and rear motor using ScanMyTesla in my old dual motor Model S. It adjust dynamically based on speed and accelerator pedal position. Once the ambient temperature drops below 0 degree Celsius, both motors are powered exactly 50/50 at acceleration, normal driving and during regen. Looks like the car automatically does the right thing when there is risk of a slippery road. I will check with my new Y when it gets cold enough here, but I assume it'll be the same
Nope. MY does not adjust front/rear power based on temperature.

Based on a Bjorn video last year, Tesla did an update so that when the car detected wheel slippage it would automatically activate 50/50 mode for the next 30(?) min before reverting to the more efficient rear-biased driving mode. He had complained multiple times that they should include a "snow mode" to manually activate this but it looks like Tesla's approach is to try to automatically engage the mode that makes the most sense.

I think it's clever but it's also reactive. Most people would rather be proactive and not deal with wheel slippage before 50/50 kicks in though. I know "off-road assist" manually activates 50/50 but it also informs you that it deactivates traction control which has always concerned me even though I haven't ever experienced anything sketchy using that mode in snow yet.

may I suggest calling enhance auto? At one time they had committed to an automation that would set regen to a user defined value when temp was 33f or lower. That seems to be low priority to them, but they may reset that with customer interest.

For 3/Y I consider this vital. It’s literally the one thing I await before I buy S3xy buttons

@David99 That's very interesting. I assume an original dual motor S with induction motors?

The Teslas with a mix of induction + permanent magnet (3, Y, Raven) seem to heavily prefer the permanent magnet motor.

@David99 That's very interesting. I assume an original dual motor S with induction motors?

The Teslas with a mix of induction + permanent magnet (3, Y, Raven) seem to heavily prefer the permanent magnet motor.
Yes it was an old 2015 with two induction motors. I have ScanMyTesla set up in my new Y performance. We just don't get freezing temps here in Souther California :)

may I suggest calling enhance auto? At one time they had committed to an automation that would set regen to a user defined value when temp was 33f or lower. That seems to be low priority to them, but they may reset that with customer interest.

For 3/Y I consider this vital. It’s literally the one thing I await before I buy S3xy buttons
In Colorado at least it can be very cold with bone-dry roads, and 40F with ice patches in the shade. So not sure how the temp approach would apply. 🤔

Reactions: DrGriz and Tectonic