Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.50.180 Auto Headlights Always On

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the latest software release, the "Auto Headlights" feature on AP2 has been enabled.

Unfortunately, on my car, the "Auto" mode doesn't seem to recognize daylight. The headlights are always on in "Auto" (as is the headlight indicator on the instrument cluster).

Has anyone else noticed this...or am I doing something wrong or not waiting long enough for them to turn off?

Is it raining there? If so (wipers active), the lights on AUTO will stay on in daylight.

Hmmm, I just went out to my car to check this, and I saw the same behaviour—headlights on while in AUTO, even though it is not dark here yet. It is late afternoon and the light is not too bright now (northern exposure).

Now, this is a Canadian car, but it used to be that only DRLs stayed on in daylight, now headlights are on too.

I will have to see more tomorrow.

Last edited:
Now, this is a Canadian car, but it used to be that only DRLs stayed on in daylight, now headlights are on too.

The last update I received turned the lights on when you turned them off when in Park. You could turn the lights off by entering Drive.

This one turns them on no matter what you do.

I think Tesla struggles with Canadian always on DRL requirements, likely as the law uses the term “headlights”.

The headlights should always be on anyway, for safety sakes.
That's the one good thing our government has done right in Canada!
Lots of data in the U.S. showing that neither DRL's nor headlights (in the daytime) amount to a hill of beans towards safety reduced accidents/close calls/fatalities . Similarly, low speed noise makers on ev's & phev's. It's a case of way to much incoming data & everyone transmitting the extra noise/brightness simply lowers the level of the response to the recipient. Even bringing up that notion to the 'believers' in that kind of tech creates a firestorm/flame response way too often ... & that's not my intent, so please don't blast away. It's just that's what many of the authors say ... i have no idea one way or the other. But from the ammo of both sides - it doesn't look like there's a clear cut winner either way. Still ~ i use 'em.

Last edited:
Lots of data in the U.S. showing that neither DRL's nor headlights amount to a hill of beans towards safety reduced accidents/close calls/fatalities. Similarly, low speed noise makers on ev's & phev's. It's a case of way to much incoming data & everyone transmitting the extra noise/brightness simply lowers the level of the response to the recipient. Even bringing up that notion to the 'believers' in that kind of tech creates a firestorm/flame response way too often ... & that's not my intent, so please don't blast away. It's just that's what many of the authors say ... i have no idea one way or the other. But from the ammo of both sides - it doesn't look like there's a clear cut winner either way.

I thought Canada introduced its legislation based off data that showed otherwise? Too much data out there ... in any event i hate it at dusk or even at night when people forget to turn on their lights. You truly can barely see the car coming. At least with DRL youbhave a bit more of a chance.

Lots of data in the U.S. showing that neither DRL's nor headlights (in the daytime) amount to a hill of beans towards safety reduced accidents/close calls/fatalities . Similarly, low speed noise makers on ev's & phev's. It's a case of way to much incoming data & everyone transmitting the extra noise/brightness simply lowers the level of the response to the recipient. Even bringing up that notion to the 'believers' in that kind of tech creates a firestorm/flame response way too often ... & that's not my intent, so please don't blast away. It's just that's what many of the authors say ... i have no idea one way or the other. But from the ammo of both sides - it doesn't look like there's a clear cut winner either way. Still ~ i use 'em.
I hate excess safety measures that cause dangers more than safety, like you said. However, I have a simple rule of thumb when to use headlights other than at dark:
  • When other people in front of me might have trouble seeing me and I want them to see me. Examples:
    • Winding mountain road
    • Foggy or dusty unseparated road
  • When the law requires it (which is unfortunately becoming a more burdensome list)
It can be summarized as "whenever there is a sight impairment", and that impairment could be fog, dust, corners, trucks, dark, or in loose interpretations that have been codified thanks to a little girl in Live Oak area of Santa Cruz who suggested it to Sam Farr in the California Legislature using a new law suggestion program Farr ran, rain. By now she's old enough to be my boss. I wonder what she does.

So, about 2.50.180 Auto Headlights on TeslaVision AutoPilot-2 hardware: I was using it today in conditions in which I thought it would not be on, and it indicated headlights were on in the dash board. I think it's being excessively on. Daylight, sunny even, no rain. I'll have to confirm later. I was wondering this same thing and didn't pay attention to it while driving. The icon hides behind the steering wheel so it's dangerous for me to look at it. (I leave high beams on accidentally all the time because of this problem.) Plus my car is so bouncy/bumpy, I was probably distracted by that and forgot to look at the dash much.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: zonehawk
Lots of data in the U.S. showing that neither DRL's nor headlights (in the daytime) amount to a hill of beans towards safety reduced accidents/close calls/fatalities .
.[/QUOTE

Here are my thoughts on this. Daytime running lights save lives because:

1. Drivers (especially young-eyed drivers) forget or don't bother to turn on their lights at or after dusk. Vehicles turning in from of them don't see them and bad things happen.
2. People coming out of brightly lit parking lots into well lit streets don't turn their lights on and then crash into people and vehicles that don't see them coming.

The daytime running lights provide visibility for cars that should have their headlights on, but don't. IMO, a marginal benefit in the daytime. But a huge benefit in the dark when headlights haven't been turned on.

Instead of mandated DRLs, I'd support legislation to require that ALL new vehicles have auto headlights. A really cheap technology to implement.

And here's another thought: If vehicles must have DRLs, simply run their LED headlights (if so equipped) at a low brightness? This would save the cost of those silly looking strings of white Christmas tree lights found on most newer vehicles.

On Canadian cars, the DRL’s are always on - the only way to turn them off was to put the car in park and get out and get back in. They would come back on when you turned the car on or entered drive. You could however turn the headlights off or on independently of the DRL's.

One firmware update ago, if you entered park and the headlights were not on and you turned the headlights off, they actually turned on and could not be turned off … unless you entered drive. It didn’t make a lot of sense that the headlights would not turn off in park but could be turned off in drive.

Now, it seems you can’t turn them off at all, which defeats the point of offering any kind of control of the headlights.

Whatever! Although what is wrong with having full headlights on at all times?
It's a safety thing no matter how you look at it!

Hi,
Headlights being on all the time is ok, if you want to do that.

The issue here (for me) is I had an AP1 version P85D and auto headlights always turned off during the day and on at night (or when it was dark) like many other cars. When I received my new AP2 car, this was not even enabled.

With the latest update, the "AUTO" function is back, and I would expect it to work as before, i.e. lights off in daylight, on when dark.
However, the lights seem to be staying on all of the time, even when it is light outside.

I am now wondering if this is a software issue, of if there is a sensor problem.
I was "happy" to see others reporting it, as maybe it is just a software issue,. If not, then maybe we have a common sensor issue, since it was just enabled and seems to not be working.

So the question is, is the "AUTO" function working as expected when set to "AUTO"?

I did a very quick, not thorough, search on DRL efficacy and found the following study at the top of the list:

During 1995–2002, there were 184,637 vehicles (1995 or newer) with identifiable VINs involved in accidents which occurred under the specified test conditions. Of these vehicles, 37,909 were determined to have standard DRLs and 146,728 were determined to be models without DRLs (including those listed as DRL optional). The crash rate among vehicles without standard DRLs was 1.73 (95% CI: 1.71–1.75) times higher than the rate for vehicles with standard DRLs. The rate ratio was also significant for fatal vehicle crash rates 1.48 (95% CI: 1.23–1.76).

Conclusion
Minnesota vehicles equipped with DRLs were associated with a statistically significant lower crash rate compared to vehicles without DRLs from 1995 to 2002.

Back to me: It is possible that the vehicles with DRLs were newer and had safer drivers, but I would err on the side of keeping running lights, or even headlights, on while driving. The cost is very minimal, especially if you have LED headlights.

Same here, I have the headlights set to auto and they are always on. I just sent an email to support letting them know and I would recommend that others do the same. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

When my car was delivered last week, the person walking me through the features put the headlights on "auto" and they turned off because the showroom was well lit. However, they have been on every time I've driven the car since that I've noticed. It has always been either dark or at least cloudy though at those times. I need to get the car out in full sunlight and see what it does, but I don't know if the weather is going to cooperate with me any time soon.