Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Month Tesla Owner - Fed up and Done

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posting to vent while I wait for Tesla Service to open. Like many of you I had a nightmare of a delivery story. You can check my previous posts, but I finally received my MYP right before thanksgiving. Even though the ordering/delivery process was a horrible experience, driving my car finally made it feel almost worth it. However, dealing with the minor items from my delivery inspection, and tesla service has completely soured my outlook on the company and the car.

I luckily had very minor items upon delivery I found. Panel gaps for the hood, and a large grease mark on my dash that would not come out. Not a huge deal, I submit my ticket, and wait a few weeks for my service appointment at the Fremont service center. Appointment date comes, they take my car, and return it 2 days later, gap addressed, but still the large grease mark on the dash. I ask what happened and the service agent says that they did not have the part in stock so they will send a mobile service agent when the part is available. Fast forward 1 week, mobile agent comes with the wrong piece of the dash, says I have to schedule a new appointment in shop as it would be too much work for a mobile agent anyways. Frustrated I write the whole story on my next service ticket, and a few weeks later I drop off my car to a very apologetic service agent that assures me everything will be done correctly and promptly.

I return to pick up my car 2 days later, and approach my vehicle to a chunk of my rim chipped and a gash in my tire lip that was not there previously on the front driver side wheel. I point it out immediately and the service agent goes wow you must have hit something. I tell them that no this was not here on drop off, and we can look at your tire inspection reports to confirm. Sure enough the tire inspection report on the invoice shows tread depth, tire pressure, and that they do not recommend any changes based on inspection. Also reads that they took my car on a verification test drive after the replacement dash to verify no loose or vibrating parts. This points in my head as where this damage would have happened. I ask the service agent how do we deal with this now as I have tire damage that I did not have before. The solution was to open another ticket, take pictures and indicate that I have not drove the car yet and it will be addressed. Pictures of damage attached.

As soon as I get resolution to this tire I am going to drive to the nearest dealership and start to shop for another car that I am going to trade my MYP for. I have been a customer since ordering in August, and I have yet to have a good interaction with Tesla. Wonderful car, great technology, but at this point I can't deal with this ecosystem anymore.

LthHE85.jpg

sA4o4Wb.jpg

H8j7NmT.jpg

iHUoRZh.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and newtman
Honestly, sounds like they are going to fix it all? I get that it’s frustrating having a new car in the shop, but I mean it could happen with any brand car. My Volvo was in the shop for the first 3 months that I owned the car and I was driving a rental and I was mad about that too, but its still to date my favorite ICE car.
I have never had any initial quality issues with our past purchases of 3 Lexus, 1 Acura MDX, Honda's and Toyota's. In 2 years if Tesla does not improve their initial quality it will pay dearly when EV buyers have more choice. Tesla has a small window to clean their house.

FYI-I always take photo or video whenever I leave my car for service anywhere.
At my local service center, they are taking photos or video when they accept the car (smart move). You might see if they happen to do that at Fremont.

I have never had any initial quality issues with our past purchases of 3 Lexus, 1 Acura MDX, Honda's and Toyota's. In 2 years if Tesla does not improve their initial quality it will pay dearly when EV buyers have more choice. Tesla has a small window to clean their house.
True, I only owned Japanese cars so far, and never repaired any of them.

Selling the car over a grease mark and a panel gap. Wow. While I agree it would have been nice if the tech admitted fault and the rim/tire was replaced, but this is over kill man.

Lol, yeah this is a little ridiculous. Some of the stories on this forum give me pause, but this is minor. I’ve had this happen at several different service centers for several different cars. It looks like they are even taking care of it? lol.

(not moderation content, or representing anyone other than jjrandorin the regular poster, not jjrandorin a TMC moderator)

Personally, I think that everyones tolerance is different, and the exact RIGHT path to take if someone is super frustrated is to vote with your wallet, and move on, especially with used car values being what they are right now.

The reasons may or may not make sense to others, but that shouldnt matter. If people are frustrated, I completely get "moving on". What I dont get, frankly, is the seeming need to "announce it to the world". Perhaps thats my age (im in my mid 50s), but I dont understand a lot of peoples needs to virtually "announce" their intentions online (sometimes in multiple places).

The reason I likely dont understand is, I dont get "ranting to a bunch of strangers, online". I totally do get trying to get opinions, help, etc, but "I hate this product and im selling it!" I dont get posting about it. I DO get DOING it, I just dont get feeling a need to announce it.

/shrug.

(not moderation content, or representing anyone other than jjrandorin the regular poster, not jjrandorin a TMC moderator)

Personally, I think that everyones tolerance is different, and the exact RIGHT path to take if someone is super frustrated is to vote with your wallet, and move on, especially with used car values being what they are right now.

The reasons may or may not make sense to others, but that shouldnt matter. If people are frustrated, I completely get "moving on". What I dont get, frankly, is the seeming need to "announce it to the world". Perhaps thats my age (im in my mid 50s), but I dont understand a lot of peoples needs to virtually "announce" their intentions online (sometimes in multiple places).

The reason I likely dont understand is, I dont get "ranting to a bunch of strangers, online". I totally do get trying to get opinions, help, etc, but "I hate this product and im selling it!" I dont get posting about it. I DO get DOING it, I just dont get feeling a need to announce it.

/shrug.

I agree. Super frustrating to keep seeing these whiney posts on this forum. It would be one thing if he had multiple motor failures, tech errors, etc and had a lemon. Instead the proverbial straw that broke the camels back was someone curbing his wheel and not telling his boss afterwards. This could happen at a valet, car wash, etc.

True, I only owned Japanese cars so far, and never repaired any of them.
I purchased extended warranties on my Honda's and Acura and never go to use it ever. I stopped doing that when I switched to Lexus and never regretted buying Japanese cars. My wife once bought a Ford Focus. We had endless problems and we gave it away to her nephew. We never had any breakdowns in our Japanese cars. My Honda CRV was imported from Japan, no issues there either. The Lexus sales associate always offers to to come and pick you up. At delivery a Tech guy is available to spend an hour explaining all the technology features and sets the homelink etc. I generally decline that and tell them my rating will depend on how quick I am out of that place and any attempts to upsell paint protection etc., will lead to reduction in my evaluation. They are extra careful to make sure I am out in 10 minutes. Tesla will be only too happy to do likewise which is good. I scheduled my pickup, there was no option for home delivery or pick up at a new SC that has now come up.

Posting to vent while I wait for Tesla Service to open. Like many of you I had a nightmare of a delivery story. You can check my previous posts, but I finally received my MYP right before thanksgiving. Even though the ordering/delivery process was a horrible experience, driving my car finally made it feel almost worth it. However, dealing with the minor items from my delivery inspection, and tesla service has completely soured my outlook on the company and the car.

I luckily had very minor items upon delivery I found. Panel gaps for the hood, and a large grease mark on my dash that would not come out. Not a huge deal, I submit my ticket, and wait a few weeks for my service appointment at the Fremont service center. Appointment date comes, they take my car, and return it 2 days later, gap addressed, but still the large grease mark on the dash. I ask what happened and the service agent says that they did not have the part in stock so they will send a mobile service agent when the part is available. Fast forward 1 week, mobile agent comes with the wrong piece of the dash, says I have to schedule a new appointment in shop as it would be too much work for a mobile agent anyways. Frustrated I write the whole story on my next service ticket, and a few weeks later I drop off my car to a very apologetic service agent that assures me everything will be done correctly and promptly.

I return to pick up my car 2 days later, and approach my vehicle to a chunk of my rim chipped and a gash in my tire lip that was not there previously on the front driver side wheel. I point it out immediately and the service agent goes wow you must have hit something. I tell them that no this was not here on drop off, and we can look at your tire inspection reports to confirm. Sure enough the tire inspection report on the invoice shows tread depth, tire pressure, and that they do not recommend any changes based on inspection. Also reads that they took my car on a verification test drive after the replacement dash to verify no loose or vibrating parts. This points in my head as where this damage would have happened. I ask the service agent how do we deal with this now as I have tire damage that I did not have before. The solution was to open another ticket, take pictures and indicate that I have not drove the car yet and it will be addressed. Pictures of damage attached.

As soon as I get resolution to this tire I am going to drive to the nearest dealership and start to shop for another car that I am going to trade my MYP for. I have been a customer since ordering in August, and I have yet to have a good interaction with Tesla. Wonderful car, great technology, but at this point I can't deal with th

To me, it sounds as if you are dealing with a service center that is poorly managed or overwhelmed or both. There are a number of reasons why either could be the case but none of that makes it any easier to look past your problems. I will say that the Tesla buying and service experience is sadly impersonal and I think it will eventually prove to be a limiting factor in their sales. All current Tesla owners are early adopters and as such are willing to navigate the online buying method and are not intimidated by the anonymous delivery ("Got your check? Good. Here's the plastic bag with some key cards. Your car is in the lot somewhere. Next!"). There are a whole lot of people that just will not buy a car that way. Say what you will about conventional car dealers but when you buy from them you have an individual face and name to deal with. And a service manager with a name.

Whew! Sorry for the rant. Perhaps if you have a different service center you can work with you might find your experience is different? The local management can make all the difference.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ormond
Honestly, sounds like they are going to fix it all? I get that it’s frustrating having a new car in the shop, but I mean it could happen with any brand car. My Volvo was in the shop for the first 3 months that I owned the car and I was driving a rental and I was mad about that too, but its still to date my favorite ICE car.
Just name me one car brand that is over $30k that you have to pickup with checklist on your hand. :)

how about 4?
Just name me one car brand that is over $30k that you have to pickup with checklist on your hand. :)
Let me google that for you: