Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 years: Musk's new timeline for door-to-door full autonomy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla should live stream the LA to NYC trip of the self-driven demo car - just like the live telecast of the free fall from space show not so long ago.
They should announce the date before hand, build up excitement...fanboy dream come true and also for the "i told you so" crowd - who knows, the president might watch that whole week-long streaming.

Tesla should live stream the LA to NYC trip of the self-driven demo car - just like the live telecast of the free fall from space show not so long ago.
They should announce the date before hand, build up excitement...fanboy dream come true and also for the "i told you so" crowd - who knows, the president might watch that whole week-long streaming.

Considering that several companies have already driven from coast to coast in autonomous cars, I don't think anyone doubts Tesla will be able to do it. Only two miles of it are city streets anyway.

We will certainly see that demo at some stage. Possibly sooner than the Roadster 3.0 roadtrip demo. :) And maybe even around end of this year.

After all, as Elon Musk says, Summon from NY to LA should be possible around January 2018. :)

To further clarify my point, yes I am a huge Tesla fan but the main reason he gets a pass is that he continues to release products that other companies are only talking about as concepts, with some vague time to market. I am not an EV enthusiast by any means. I don't even consider other EV cars on the horizon. Why? Because no one is offering the tech and the range, coupled with a nationwide supercharger network.

While certainly not perfect, his products are simply more compelling than anything else coming out in the near future. The very idea that he dared to defy an entire auto industry and he won, and others are still years away from offering the same experience....again I'm happy to support that. That's just a philosophical view and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

But I would say that the general sentiment of forgetting just how massive this mans accomplishment is runs rampant around here because people are so caught up in the "hey where are my features that Elon promised??" talk. Give the man a break if the software needs more time. Don't forget that everyone was laughing at him just a few years ago and he delivered. He isn't perfect but he'll deliver folks.

I can see you are a Tesla fan... so am I. In fact I currently plan to only drive a Tesla in my next 30+ years of driving, the latter of that probably in a self-driven one since I know that even my AP1 adds so much safety when activated, I expect FSD to be even more so.

The promise of OTA updates is unique and amazing, and in the beginning there was a giddiness when receiving an update, hoping for improvements, new features and conveniences, etc. But for my HW1, there now seems to be feeling of abandonment, as if Tesla is indicating that my car that was delivered in July, is now as good as it is going to get, so it's now like any other manufacturer's vehicle in that respect. I hope I am wrong, and probably spoiled by the first 6 months, but perhaps not.

I do know that the day HW2 was announced, I just lost about a 1/3 of my car's value, since selling a HW1 will be a real challenge n the future given the newer hardware, but that can happen with any vehicle, just usually with the next model year.

Ironically, I also was given an opportunity to sell my MX back to Tesla and walk away based on an unfixable abnormality, yet I chose to order another one, so my AP2.0 is about to be built. This gives me an opportunity to get the AP2, keep the unlimited charging, even save some money, but mostly I can actually have the only real SUV Tesla sells, the 5-seat config, which restores the original promise of folding 2nd row seats with a seat back that actually can be extended for passenger comfort, not just tilted back.

But I am not blind to the flaws of Tesla, both physically with the MX (fit and finish is subpar to premium vehicles costing half the price), as well as having insight into the dysfunctional handling of some customer satisfaction issues.

However, now there is a new issue that I'd love to get your perspective on. It has to do with the elimination of the 2nd HVAC fan in the 5-seater, which combined with rerouting of the ducts and vents results in a severely anemic airflow to the 2nd row passengers, such that getting into a hot cabin and cranking the A/C will not be nearly effective as the other configs, or probably any other SUV on the market,

The thread is

How adequate is the A/C airflow in the MX 5-seater for 2nd row passengers?

You give Elon a pass for doing what he has done so far, I will hold that judgement until he and his leadership resolve this issue, as it was a huge mistake to make this design change, and they are guilty of not considering owners that live in hot summer climates, beyond the borders of California.

Any guess on how many 5-seaters are living in parts of the country with hot summers??? Yup, its many.

Let's see how your boy handles this one. I don't judge a man on how well he does something right, but rather how he corrects something he did wrong.

Elon's stated many times that if the PX2 isn't up to the task -- it's "easy" to upgrade it. Why is the CEO so outspoken about this? (Talk about massive upgrade costs! Tens, if not houndreds of thousands M3s will be on the road with this HW by the time FSD is finalized.)

Why isn't autodimming and auto wiping ready yet? What's going on?

I'm starting to suspect that AP2 is a (very high stakes) experiment. Hope I'm wrong

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Elon's stated many times that if the PX2 isn't up to the task -- it's "easy" to upgrade it. Why is the CEO so outspoken about this? (Talk about massive upgrade costs! Tens, if not houndreds of thousands M3s will be on the road with this HW by the time FSD is finalized.)

I'm starting to suspect that AP2 is a (very high stakes) experiment. Hope I'm wrong

The CPU upgrade is the least of my worries, though. I am expecting it to be factored into the FSD price anyway. Sort of like with EAP you are paying for the PX2 plus premium. With FSD you are paying for a future board of perhaps Tesla's own silicone (as speculated, if upgrade is needed) plus premium...

Personally I worry more about how FSD can they get (especially in inclement weather) without the redundancy of 360 radars/LIDAR. They only have redundancy (multi-cameras and radar) basically on the front as well as elsewhere at very low-speed/close-up scenarios through the ultrasonics. We shall see.

Last edited:
Sold what? Did you read the fine print in the self driving option? Read it again. Nothing was "promised". Lordy. You bought hardware with POTENTIAL - PENDING DEVELOPMENT AND APPROVAL.

The entitlement is amazing in our culture.

I bought mine to support the cause. To help accelerate the move away from a world full of fossil fuels and "VW-Gates". My AP1 car is amazing - but AP1 WAS NOT when launched.

The AP 2 folks will have it best aid I hope all the AP2 whiners come back here and apologize. (and re-read the fine print)

Support the movement. This is not JUST a car. If you can't see that, sell it and get an ICE again.

There is a huge distance between Tesla saying "here it is, our autonomous driving vehicle, just watch the video of the passenger sleeping form door to door" AND the regulators approving a Tesla to do just that.

And what happens to all of the owners that plopped down the $3K, but for whatever reason (lack of LIDAR?, Need for HW3?), municipality approval never occurs???

Will Tesla simply refund that $3K, or will they shrug shoulders and say "Hey, we built it, it works, not our fault it wasn't approved, we even mentioned that possibility in the disclaimer you read before you submitted your order."

Just watch all the Fanboys jump on and say "You can't blame Tesla for governmental bureaucracy"

At least you can summons your Tesla to meet you at on the driveway somewhere...

The CPU upgrade is the least of my worries, though. I am expecting it to be factored into the FSD price anyway. Sort of like with EAP you are paying for the PX2 plus premium. With FSD you are paying for a future board of perhaps Tesla's own silicone (as speculated, if upgrade is needed) plus premium...

Personally I worry more about how FSD (especially in inclement weather) can they get without the redundancy of 360 radars/LIDAR. They only have redundance basically at the front. We shall see.

The weather is one thing, but I know my AP1 can see the lines in a dark and stormy night much better than i can. it has to be better with the newer camera design.

I think a bigger concern is those parts of the road design that will challenge any autonomous driving, constantly changing road construction (lane shifts, orange barrels encroaching the lane, when another car hits a FSD Tesla, or when the car hits something... car, structure, person???

I feel that as they get closer to saying "Almost Done", there will be more challenges identified that they did not account for, like for every 1 steps forward, it's 2 steps back.

And the LIDAR issue will be there always, comparing the functionality of vehicles with to those without, or perhaps some other new technology.

Last edited:
There is a huge distance between Tesla saying "here it is, our autonomous driving vehicle, just watch the video of the passenger sleeping form door to door" AND the regulators approving a Tesla to do just that.

And what happens to all of the owners that plopped down the $3K, but for whatever reason (lack of LIDAR?, Need for HW3?), municipality approval never occurs???

Will Tesla simply refund that $3K, or will they shrug shoulders and say "Hey, we built it, it works, not our fault it wasn't approved, we even mentioned that possibility in the disclaimer you read before you submitted your order."

Just watch all the Fanboys jump on and say "You can't blame Tesla for governmental bureaucracy"

IMO with FSD Tesla can probably get away with that. If it is really regulatory that is stopping them and not failure to get the car otherwise FSD-like functional.

I am more concerned about how EAP was marketed to us. That is the story where Elon/Tesla once again were quite reckless with their messaging.

Of course if it turns out AP2 can't ever do FSD even with a driver there as a backup, that would be a problem for Tesla. And they have made some public statements on the timeline on when that is expected to start happening, so on that they indeed need to deliver...

Reactions: essmd
The weather is one thing, but I know my AP1 can see the lines in a dark and stormy night much better than i can. it has to be better with teh newer camera design.

I don't worry about dark so much as dirt and snow. The only remedy against that they have is camera heating around the sides and back. A driver can move their head to see around dirt, but with a small, stationary camera, dirt seems like a much bigger potential issue.

And the LIDAR issue will be there always, comparing the functionality of vehicles with to those without, or perhaps some other new technology.

Not just LIDAR, but also the competition having 360 radar. Tesla has no redundancy on the sides or around the back (excluding low-speed, close-up).

I am speculating AP3 will add that side and back redundancy. Though of course a small chance remains Tesla is religiously committed at going visual, even to the extent that they might remove the radar from Model 3. But I'm still thinking mostly AP3 will add more radar at the very least, perhaps more cameras and possibly (but IMO least certain) LIDAR.

Last edited:
I don't worry about dark so much as dirt and snow. The only remedy against that they have is camera heating around the sides and back. A driver can move their head to see around dirt, but with a small, stationary camera, dirt seems like a much bigger potential issue.

Not just LIDAR, but also the competition having 360 radar. Tesla has no redundancy on the sides or around the back (excluding low-speed, close-up).

I am speculating AP3 will add that side and back redundancy. Though of course a small chance remains Tesla is religiously committed at going visual, even to the extent that they might remove the radar from Model 3. But I'm still thinking mostly AP3 will add more radar at the very least, perhaps more cameras and possibly (but IMO least certain) LIDAR.

Ah, living in Texas I forgot about the snow and ice, but for a few days every winter, It can be an issue.

You are referring to dirt and snow on the windshield impairing vision, as I am referring to it on the road, but either perspective, that can be a real challenge.

Did not know about 360 radar, that is that newer technology I did not know about, so what else is out there?

One thing not recently mentioned is "fleet knowledge", or I call it Hive Intelligence, where learned elements are uploaded from individual vehicles than transmitted to all that hit approach that GPS location. Is that still a thing?

There has to be some process where a car enroute on a trip can no longer continue for whatever reason, How will Tesla reconcile with that?

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Ah, living in Texas I forgot about the snow and ice, but for a few days every winter, It can be an issue.

You are referring to dirt and snow on the windshield impairing vision, as I am referring to it on the road, but either perspective, that can be a real challenge.

Sure, both perspectives can be challenging, but my main point was the concern about dirt (or snow) impairing camera vision. Not just on the windshield either (especially as the Tesla front has wipers and redundant cameras and a radar), but especially on the sides and back of the car. I am more hopeful that dirt on the ground will eventually be sorted out by the neural networks. But they do need to see...

Did not know about 360 radar, that is that newer technology I did not know about, so what else is out there?

Not necessarily new technology, just something that other manufacturers have been doing and Tesla has not. Already by 2010 Audi A8 had four radars, in each corner of the car. I guess it wasn't 360 degrees quite yet, but it was many degrees anyway. Mercedes Benz has been shipping cars with I think six radars. Just to run their driver's aids. A lot of the European efforts around self-driving platforms that have been publicizes are based on 360 radar, 360 vision, 360 ultrasonic plus LIDAR in addition (e.g. Volvo as well).

One thing not recently mentioned is "fleet knowledge", or I call it Hive Intelligence, where learned elements are uploaded from individual vehicles than transmitted to all that hit approach that GPS location. Is that still a thing?

I guess it is, certainly it can add a layer of data to the mix.

There has to be some process where a car enroute on a trip can no longer continue for whatever reason, How will Tesla reconcile with that?

That's a good question. A constant "plan B" for parking the car safely might be a part of the car's thinking constantly. While better than disengaging or crashing, that still won't be very helpful if the car was driving itself to pick you up. That said, I can see a new kind of road service developing around such instances, as long as most of the time the car works fine by itself...

I just worry if AP2 has the optimal mix of sensors yet. I'd feel much better if it had a bit more redundancy on the sides and back. Well, worry is too big a word as I don't really "worry" about it (I bought the AP2 eyes wide open), but it is a negative for AP2 in my mind. As said, my current thinking is that Tesla will likely add that redundancy in the next generation of AP hardware.

Reactions: essmd

Given their past responses to situations where customers were adversely impacted, I trust they will do the right thing if this occurs. If they do not, then it will mark the change from "On a Mission Tesla" to "just another greedy company driven by stock price Tesla".

Ignoring the inflammatory nature of the use of "fanboy", it is interesting to see how the demographic of Tesla owners is changing. Many bought the car to support the cause, and now many are simply buying a car, with little to no investment in the cause. As such, expectations change and reactions to perceptions of being "lied to" and "ripped off" are becoming more common.

This thread is a perfect example of this shift now occurring with the Tesla buyer - that will only increase when 3 is out.

Inevitable, but a little sad nonetheless.

There's nothing massively expensive about a board swap.

I was thinking about this as well. 100,000 AI super computers re-acquired. What use could anyone possibly have for those? I know the boards are built to go into a car, but in theory, you could build a custom rack and drop these in to build a system capable of helping validate raw data coming back from the cars or for machine learning purposed to help the overall systems work. I know nVidia also supplies a server solution for the DrivePX total system. I dont know how much if it is used by Tesla or how much different those processors are. I am also guessing that the deal made with nVidia might have some outs based on promised performance.

My guess is that way before they have produced the 500,000th Model 3, they will have their own chip sourced from Samsung or someone else. Similar to what Apple did when it first started building its own processors for the Iphone/Ipad.

1. The plan has always been fairly simple. Once the software is to a certain point, they can use the billions of miles of data they have to show regulators that the software is safer then a human. Also, regulators actually seem to be chomping at the bit to allow autonomous cars first. Many states seem to be stumbling over each other to allow autonomous driving so when there is a solution, they will expedite the acceptance vs sand bagging the process to slow it down.

2. Lidar is not useful. The problem with Lidar + radar + vision is simple really. To much information in certain situations can actually be bad. What happens when your triple redundant system keeps coming up with different answers to whats in front of you? Which one do you trust? Elons made it very clear at the TED talk that the solution is a vision only solution. Radar would only be used to verify distance and to bounce under the front of cars in front of you to see what you cannot see. Lidar does not have a use in this solution becuase it cant bounce under anything and it cant see through rain or snow. Lidar will be used to create hi-def maps and to validate certain things on test cars, but not in production.

You can either think Elon is nutz and everything he says is crazy and not to be trusted, or you can have a little faith and give the guy the benefit of the doubt as it relates to ultimately delivering things others said are impossible. Not just hard, but impossible. I choose to believe his is both nutz and going to deliver and I am just hanging as tight as I can for the ride.

Reactions: shonline
Pedantic nit picking of words aside, there is no practical difference between the 2. There just isn't.

I wish I knew what those words meant but I am getting the impression that you just insulted me.

Here is the difference. The interviewer lacked the skills of a lawyer and asked the wrong question. And Elon still answered the right question of you listen/read the entire answer. Here are the questions and answers in context:

Electrek.co said:
Chris: So leaving aside regulation for a second. In terms of the technology alone. The time when someone will be able to buy one of your cars and literally just take the hands of the wheel and go to sleep and wake up and find that they’ve arrived. How far away is that? To do that.

Elon: That’s about two years. So the real trick of it is not in how do you make it work… say 99.9 percent of the time because if a car crashes say one in a thousand times then you’re probably so lucky to be comfortable falling asleep. That’s. You know, you shouldn’t be, certainly. But, it’s not going to be… It’s never going to be perfect. No system is going to be perfect. But you say it’s perhaps it’s it is unlikely to crash in a hundred lifetimes or a thousand lifetimes then people like ok wow if I would live a thousand lives I would still most likely never experienced a crash then that’s probably OK.

Chris: I guess a big concern of yours is that people get seduced too early to think that this is safe.

Elon: Yeah

Chris: and that you’ll have some horrible incident happen that puts things put things back.

Elon: Well, I think that the autonomy system is likely to at least mitigate the crash except in rare circumstances but the thing to appreciate about vehicle safety is this is probabilistic so that there is some chance that any time a human driver gets in the car that they will have an accident that is their fault. It’s never zero. And so it really it’s the key threshold for autonomy is how much better is autonomy need to be than a person before you can rely on it.

It is clear that Elon is answering the question as it relates to sleeping in the car and feeling OK with not be conscious for the entirety of the trip and he clearly says that you wouldn't be fine if the system is 99.9% safe. He also says the system will mitigate the negative impact related to an accident. When its 99.9% safe and Elon can prove, using billions of miles of data to show how the car would have avoided things that humans did not, proving superhuman or 10x as safe as a human driver. 10x as safe does not mean you can wrap your head around sleeping in the car for the entire trip. But 10x as safe as a human is good enough to save hundreds of thousands of lives and that will get the attention of politicians who like votes from people who are alive, when they can get them. Dead people do in a pinch and even dogs/cats or whatever they can figure out.

He clearly answers that it will take 2 years to get to the point where the average autonomous car crash that lead to some kind of injury to anyone would be 1 in a 100 or 1000 lifetimes. This is not required to save hundreds of thousands of lives, millions of lives over the next decade.

Now if I were the interviewer, I would have asked when do you expect you will be able to start to seek approval to enable these features in HW2 cars that are on the road today? How long to you expect it to take?

Elon being Elon would have said 6-12 months at most and that they can currently show something like 2x safer then a human and they just need more data to get to 10x.

Now I need to figure out what "Pedantic nit picking" is as that sounds like something my wife does to me a lot.