Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How adequate is the A/C airflow in the MX 5-seater for 2nd row passengers?

Effective 2nd row cooling in Model X in summer heat (over 90 degs)- 5-Seat owners only please

• Yes, perfectly adequate, Cool as a Clam

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@essmd Well, we have come to know how much we can believe Tesla's statements on controversial topics.

We simply can not take them at face value.

The AP publicity vs. reality has been much discussed. P85D HP of course too. And then there is the P85DL, P90DL and P100D power limiters thread where Tesla promised to remove the limits and make things right... and then instead went onto limit all cars. Yes. (Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits)

It has gotten to the point that people on TMC actually ridicule other people for "not doing their research" if they have taken Tesla at their word and believed Tesla.

Fully agree, being highly allergic to BS and non-transparency, been an owner since July, being fairly automotive and tech savvy, and a marginally active forum participant here and elsewhere...

I am just as much a critic of Tesla as I am a fan, probably more of a cynic yet I continue to choose to own one, despite being given an opportunity to walk away from it.

For me my Tesla is more than a vehicle of transportation, more of a Automotive/Tech journey into the next phase of car ownership.

For fun, here is my other vehicle, which has no A/C, computer, etc... Tesla-Chevy sm.jpg

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Hey Fury,
Can you tell me what they told you? I get pretty anal when it comes to making purchases and especially one that is SOOO expensive. I expect it to be damn near perfect. I haven't received a response yet from the regional manager, but I'd like to have as much ammo as possible.

I'm pretty upset that i wasn't told that there would only be one A/C unit on the 5 seater. The irony is that I have a 2015 f150 that also only has one A/C unit and it will blast you with the rear vents.

You saw my response on the other thread, but as you make your points with Tesla, keep in mind the details of the 5-seater did indicate lack of a rear HVAC system, since the 6 and the 7 clearly stated they come equipped with it. So that is not a great point to argue.

Also, clearly an ICE may have a more powerful HVAC system, given the engine and large electrical reserve to power it whereas an EV is going to try to preserve power, so blasting them with that comparison ain't gonna go far.

In fact, I delayed my MX build from last April to July, just because I needed to know than an EV A/C system would be adequate in the Texas summer heat, given the size of the cabin and the MX not being available to anyone the summer before. Fortunately after a complete thermal tint, it works well in a 6/7 config.

The only viable argument is that the A/C system impact on the 2nd row passengers, specifically the airflow, is simply not adequate for the summer heat..

I am almost silly with hope that they will indicate they are already working on a fix, but short of a class-action lawsuit, I really don't see Tesla doing anything about it.

I am about to change my 5-seater on order to a 6-seater, although I really wanted to get rid of those crappy fixed seats and have a real SUV again.

You saw my response on the other thread, but as you make your points with Tesla, keep in mind the details of the 5-seater did indicate lack of a rear HVAC system, since the 6 and the 7 clearly stated they come equipped with it. So that is not a great point to argue.

Also, clearly an ICE may have a more powerful HVAC system, given the engine and large electrical reserve to power it whereas an EV is going to try to preserve power, so blasting them with that comparison ain't gonna go far.

In fact, I delayed my MX build from last April to July, just because I needed to know than an EV A/C system would be adequate in the Texas summer heat, given the size of the cabin and the MX not being available to anyone the summer before. Fortunately after a complete thermal tint, it works well in a 6/7 config.

The only viable argument is that the A/C system impact on the 2nd row passengers, specifically the airflow, is simply not adequate for the summer heat..

This statement (quoted here by bonnie) from Tesla could help @Neil schoe and others with grievances:

upload_2017-4-29_14-41-45-png.224953

Fully agree, being highly allergic to BS and non-transparency, been an owner since July, being fairly automotive and tech savvy, and a marginally active forum participant here and elsewhere...

I am just as much a critic of Tesla as I am a fan, probably more of a cynic yet I continue to choose to own one, despite being given an opportunity to walk away from it.

For me my Tesla is more than a vehicle of transportation, more of a Automotive/Tech journey into the next phase of car ownership.

For fun, here is my other vehicle, which has no A/C, computer, etc...View attachment 225098

Thank you for your thoughts, appreciate them. You are certainly not alone in your conclusions either. Just before reading this message this was my response in another conversation that had similar undertones:

2 years: Musk's new timeline for door-to-door full autonomy

To clarify, I was only sharing a communication from Tesla that I received.

To further clarify, my adult son started laughing when he saw me referred to as 'legendary'. He would disagree, it appears. :)

LOL, actually between this and the Tesla.com forum, I have read far more posts about you than those from you, so that makes you a legend.

Tell your son to straighten up and be respectful, or no dessert after dinner. ;)

How often do you actually drive your Roadster? That's one Bitchin' sports car !!!

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
This statement (quoted here by bonnie) from Tesla could help @Neil schoe and others with grievances:

Agreed, just need to figure out where that actually came from.

However, to play on semantics, it is actually a true statement, since the A/C compressor is the same, and in time the entire cabin can be cooled just like the 6/7 seaters.

The deficit here is that when it is a hot interior cabin, the cooling effect of the reduced airflow from the B-pillar vents will not be as effective on the 2nd row passengers as at higher flow rates.

I am telling you, this is a tough argument to make Tesla do anything about it, unless they choose to do so. I am just too cynical at this point, after my experiences, and stories from so many others...

The only real impact is to sit the Service Managers in a hot 5-seater cabin, close the doors, crank the A/C to 11, and see how comfortable they are.... I bet they will never let you see them sweat.

For fun, here is my other vehicle, which has no A/C, computer, etc...View attachment 225098
Wow, that Model X looks so big next to that full size Chevy, that it almost looks like a bad photoshop job. That really brings home just how massive the Model X is.

Reactions: essmd
The 6/7-seat design is for maximizing "passenger" capacity while the 5-seat is for maximizing "cargo" capacity. Guess the design team considers the 2nd row a part of the cargo space that 5-seat buyers (pick-up buyers too?) would mostly use so one HVAC can be removed. Anyway I think they could have done equally or better by keeping the old 3rd row while adopting the new 2nd row just to meet that "fold flat" commitment, but apparently some price lowering or product differentiating effort came into play.

Personally I'm not going to change up/over any time soon, but I'm glad I did not wait for the folding seat since the 5-seat, less-HVAC option is not a better overall choice for me and my dogs. Maybe there will be a 7-seat, 2-HVAC, all-folding option with a lighter battery in the future that could make me move.

Personally I'm not going to change up/over any time soon, but I'm glad I did not wait for the folding seat since the 5-seat, less-HVAC option is not a better overall choice for me and my dogs. Maybe there will be a 7-seat, 2-HVAC, all-folding option with a lighter battery in the future that could make me move.

Interesting about your perspective being a dog owner.
As seen in the pic taken in my Cayenne, my 3 pups much prefer to hang on a flat cargo deck than deal with the fixed seats, but the space between the seats in my 6-seater does offer some options.
Boys in the Car sm.jpg

I almost cancelled everything once the folding seats as shown in the first reveal went away.
But I made it work with 2nd row seat covers, closing the seat belts to avoid the 40 lb warning, and frequently cleaning the interior windows from wet nose marks.

I am currently waiting for my 5-seater to be built and delivered to replace my 6-seater, have concerns about the A.C airflow, but more for the rare human passenger, less for the pups.

The other pic show some options for a position, but nothing appears as comfortable or safe as a deck to lie down on, still be near me, and able to somewhat see out the windows.

Sleeping in car 3-2.jpg Sleeping in car 2-2.jpg Sleeping in car 1-2.jpg

How do your dogs handle the seats?

Interesting about your perspective being a dog owner.
As seen in the pic taken in my Cayenne, my 3 pups much prefer to hang on a flat cargo deck than deal with the fixed seats, but the space between the seats in my 6-seater does offer some options.
View attachment 225269

I almost cancelled everything once the folding seats as shown in the first reveal went away.
But I made it work with 2nd row seat covers, closing the seat belts to avoid the 40 lb warning, and frequently cleaning the interior windows from wet nose marks.

I am currently waiting for my 5-seater to be built and delivered to replace my 6-seater, have concerns about the A.C airflow, but more for the rare human passenger, less for the pups.

The other pic show some options for a position, but nothing appears as comfortable or safe as a deck to lie down on, still be near me, and able to somewhat see out the windows.

View attachment 225272 View attachment 225273 View attachment 225274

How do your dogs handle the seats?

I've thought about building a 'T-shaped' platform that, with a cushion on top, would end up being about the same height as the 2nd row cushions. It would fit in front of and between the 2nd row seats, thus creating a flat area from the back of the car to the back of the front row seats (of course with the 2nd row backs sticking out. I'm even considering that I could build a vertical stop, attached to the platform, between the two front seats to prevent them from getting onto the front passenger seat, which they would inevitably try to do. I would also need to do the seat covers as you did for the 2nd row. The concern is how easy would it be to take in and out. But I could round the corners and smooth out all the edges. Even cover it with carpet to soften it more.

They don't, unless the skittish one gets scared by a rough road or rumble strip and climbs over into the middle row from behind the three pedestal seats. Thats why the rear HVAC is so important.

I understand, but if you had a 5-seater and didn't need the 2nd row for people, then the seats can be folded giving all airflow to the entire rear cargo.

But if you need them up for people, then the lack of adequate A/C is an issue, like the rear-facing seats on the Model S i guess.