Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20" Induction Wheels Now Included On Stealth Performance Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
really? the 20's are summer tires? I thought only the 21 is summer. Where did you find that information? I have the induction and did a quick search online. What I am seeing is the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 255/40-20 XL 101W is All season tires. Am I wrong?

I am pretty sure the tires on the induction wheels are all season (note the M+S designation). This is a picture from the Internet not my vehicle.
6DE50C1D-78E7-4CD7-BF39-D86B0ACFC9F5.jpeg

Reactions: Klau2
Im really torn now! Wanted the Performance stealth with induction wheels and haven’t got my VIN so thinking about switching now. I have FSD, so I’d probably skip that for now. I know this has been asked a lot on this forum, but any advice from Performance or LR AWD owners. Is the speed really worth holding out on for the FSD?

I just placed on order 2 days ago for non-P with induction. And I still don't plan to switch to Performance for only 6k just because of the loss of range/efficiency. I think range comes down to 280mi and Wh/m probably pushes over 300. That's with the 21" wheels though, anyone have numbers on the 20" induction with performance? If range/efficiency doesn't take that much of a hit, I may go for it.

I had the same thoughts.. it seems like the 20’’ stealth would have a softer ride than the PUD and save the range.

I just placed on order 2 days ago for non-P with induction. And I still don't plan to switch to Performance for only 6k just because of the loss of range/efficiency. I think range comes down to 280mi and Wh/m probably pushes over 300. That's with the 21" wheels though, anyone have numbers on the 20" induction with performance? If range/efficiency doesn't take that much of a hit, I may go for it.

All seasons aren't really great in the winter anyway. If you want to be sure you have great snow/ice performance, you'll want a dedicated winter tire.

The all seasons will certainly live longer than the summer though.

while I agree as I have dedicated winter tires for my GC. Most everyone in my area, including my wife, gets by just fine on all seasons. We get a ton of snow in CNY but they do an excellent job plowing and salting the roads. I will like to eliminate the hassle and expense of having two sets of wheels/tires if possible.

Reactions: DDrawer

From my understanding, the 280 is software limited on the PUP. One guy from the FB group installed 20" TSports on his PUP and called Tesla. They changed the wheels on the car configurator via software push and it showed 316 after.

I don’t think the performance changes the range/efficiency. Just the wheels I believe. A performance with the Gemini’s should be the same as the non-performance with Gemini’s. I am assumjng range/efficiency takes a hit with the induction wheels compared to the Gemini’s but I haven’t seen any hard data on that.

Obviously up here you would have to get a winter set, 19" for range at -5oF, but 20" would be fine for summers. No need for staggered rubber bands thou; especially on a compact SUV (try to get all seasons on them for those late/early winter roads). Always nice to have the speed/power for passing and getting our of jams/congestion but I am more country road then the 1/4 mile. If they have 3 sets of wheels it would be nice to have your pick; if what you pick is more than others so be it. Tesla teasing wheels is just bizarre to me.

while I agree as I have dedicated winter tires for my GC. Most everyone in my area, including my wife, gets by just fine on all seasons. We get a ton of snow in CNY but they do an excellent job plowing and salting the roads. I will like to eliminate the hassle and expense of having two sets of wheels/tires if possible.

I hear yah. That is why all seasons were created after all. Truth be told I almost certainly don't need a dedicated set of winter tires here (especially with last seasons snow). Other than the occasional ski trip up to Vermont or something, and even then All seasons might do the trick (all though I did surely get use of winters driving on 6 inches of unplowed snow roads up there on one trip).

I always just liked the idea of having the best tool for the job. Summer tires for warm months so I know I have the absolute best stick when I want to rip around corners for a fun weekend drive. Winter tires for the rare days when I find myself driving on snow and want to feel completely confident. All seasons, just make me feel like I have mediocre performance all the time.

But again, totally understand the reason for All seasons.

I hear yah. That is why all seasons were created after all. Truth be told I almost certainly don't need a dedicated set of winter tires here (especially with last seasons snow). Other than the occasional ski trip up to Vermont or something, and even then All seasons might do the trick (all though I did surely get use of winters driving on 6 inches of unplowed snow roads up there on one trip).

I always just liked the idea of having the best tool for the job. Summer tires for warm months so I know I have the absolute best stick when I want to rip around corners for a fun weekend drive. Winter tires for the rare days when I find myself driving on snow and want to feel completely confident. All seasons, just make me feel like I have mediocre performance all the time.

But again, totally understand the reason for All seasons.

Yeah, i completely agree to everything you wrote. I would just like to free up some space in my garage and not have to deal with the hassle of swapping them out twice a year. Not to mention the added expense of a new set of rims and tires. People are always surprised to find out I have dedicated winter tires on my GC, for whatever reason its not common to do that around here.

I know, people honestly think I'm insane for having 2 sets of wheels/tires. A lot of people don't even know there are different types of tires haha. But I'll tell you when my friends truck was stuck in the snow at our lodge, and I was able to pull out with absolute ease and even continue to back up and drive forward to carve him out a tire path in the snow using my little VW Golf, I showed them the value of winter tires lol.

Anyway, I'll let this this thread get back on topic. Good chatting with you.

I don’t think the performance changes the range/efficiency. Just the wheels I believe. A performance with the Gemini’s should be the same as the non-performance with Gemini’s. I am assumjng range/efficiency takes a hit with the induction wheels compared to the Gemini’s but I haven’t seen any hard data on that.

Is it true that the motors are the same in performance vs non-performance and it's just software that limits the maximum acceleration and speed? If that's true, I really wonder why the 21" wheels show a 280mi range vs the 316mi on the 19" wheels. That's over 10% loss just from wheels. Can that be correct? And if it is, it doesn't seem like 20" wheels would not reduce range vs 19's. Put a different way, going from a performance with 19" wheels to a performance with 20" wheels has to introduce some loss of range/efficiency

A lot of the range loss is due to the tire compound (rolling resistance is much higher on a sticky summer tire), and the increased weight (those uberturbines are quite hefty). Also, the PuP has a staggered set up with even bigger tires in the back.

I'll bet the difference between the 19's and the 20's is very close on the same rubber.

I am pretty sure the tires on the induction wheels are all season (note the M+S designation). This is a picture from the Internet not my vehicle.View attachment 547201

Those tires look gray. The Michelins on my Model 3 are gray also. I put tire shine on them religiously because I hate the gray-tire-look. The do shine-up nice with the treatment though.

I wanted the Stealth with Induction Wheels. I went with the LR specifically to get the Induction Wheels. Do I wish I had waited? Yes. Am I disappointed, no. I've been driving my Y since March, and it came at a time where I really needed the distraction. Besides, the acceleration is pretty damn good on the LR by itself. If they ever offer a software upgrade for more performance I'd buy it, but I don't really need it.

PS Don't get me started on the curb rash they took on one of the first times I even drove it however. But that's more my fault I suppose.