TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

$2000 Acceleration Boost for Model Y?

Discussion in 'Model Y: Driving Dynamics' started by JRod0802, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Kuro Houou

Kuro Houou Member

I am curious where you see non performance M3's with a boost upgrade getting faster times then an actual performance M3.. Has to be some kind of bad measurement or something else going on.. No way Tesla would sell a LR car for 8000 less then a performance version, then turn around and sell a 2000 upgrade to the LR version that makes it faster.

• Like x 1
  2. jeremymc7

jeremymc7 Active Member

Read down further. See post #34. I correct my comment.

3. ElectricIAC

ElectricIAC Devil’s Advocate

Proof of concept. If they can build all LR MY's exactly the same and have the distinction/price difference be a mere difference of a toggle on toolbox/account access with the occasional appearance/tire package: Why wouldn't they?

• Disagree x 1
  4. pt19713

pt19713 Member

Search youtube and reddit. Many more posts out there on the subject.

5. Kuro Houou

Kuro Houou Member

Maybe I missed it but it sounds like his was getting 3.5-3.6 seconds. Correct me if I am wrong but that is still slower then a M3 Performance by a good margin?

All that said, a LR M3 with Performance Boost is still under $50k... that's a hell of a deal imo.

6. pt19713

pt19713 Member

Are you not seeing the side by side race between the $2k upgraded LR AWD vs the Performance model?

zero to sixty times will vary depending on surface, tires, and other conditions, so there's going to be some range. Side by side, like the video shown, is typically a better indication. If that video doesn't change your opinion, nothing will.

7. jeremymc7

jeremymc7 Active Member

My comment was also that the "Boost" to the LR AWD M3 wasn't up to the same level as the "Stealth" M3 which were out for a short time. While the Stealth isn't as fast as the Performance it "IS" faster" than the Boost.

There is no technically reason the Boost option couldn't be as fast as the Stealth but for some reason this is what Tesla did. If it was as fast I would have bought the Boost.

8. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

But the "stealth" Model 3 is as fast as the Performance. (It literally is a performance with smaller brakes, different wheels/tires, no spoiler, etc, but with complete track mode and all.)

Yes there is. Not all AWD Model 3s have the performance rear motor, so they can't all support the same performance. (Early ones probably could.)

9. jeremymc7

jeremymc7 Active Member

My understanding was the opposite. That all current, at least 2020, perhaps 2019 to some extent AWD M3 had same motor, inverter, etc as Performance. Which would be at least one reason the Boost add-on is available.

10. Kuro Houou

Kuro Houou Member

Rolling tests like that are even more ambiguous imo.. if someone even jumped by half a second that could be a whole car length and they would look to be faster the whole video.. sorry but just watching some youtube videos doesn't prove anything. But even their numbers in their tests with actual logging hardware and software show the difference in performance. Sure temps, tires and what not matter.. but this is far from proof a LR with boost is faster then a performance model... like I said pretty sure Tesla would never do that.

• Like x 1
  11. animorph

animorph Active Member

I thought the boosted Model 3 AWD user measured 0-60 was about the same as the original configuration Performance time claimed by Tesla, about 3.5s. But the Performance versions have been boosted now as well, and are also a little faster than claimed. There's still a good 0.5 sec between them when fairly compared.

12. jeremymc7

jeremymc7 Active Member

At the time the Stealth WAS about the same time as the Performance; which is why I say I would say if the Boost was the same as the Stealth I would have happily paid the $2K since I was looking for a Stealth which was $3K at the time. But since Boosted wasn’t up to Stealth, nor could I find a Stealth, I passed on the Boost option.

13. pt19713

pt19713 Member

well, you aren't swaying my opinion with "pretty sure Tesla would never do that."

14. Kuro Houou

Kuro Houou Member

That's fine. I just go by the actual numbers I have seen. All M3 LR with Boost are in the 3.5-3.6 range 0-60 from people doing actual testing. M3 Performance are 3.1-3.2 again with actual data logging. At the end of the day, believe whatever you want, that's your choice.

• Like x 1
  15. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

• Like x 1
  16. moswissa

moswissa Member

The fastest M3 LR boost I’ve seen on the draggy leaderboard was 3.59 and that’s w/o rollout. His car has some weight reduction mods as well with some 18s

17. ModalYYJ

ModalYYJ Member

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  18. pt19713

pt19713 Member

Earlier than expected!

19. Quantm99

Quantm99 Member

Tesla is pulling all their cards for the end of quarter. Wonder what else they’ll discount or offer for purchase. Hope track mode is free for PUP.

• Like x 1
  20. zecar

zecar Member

I'm expecting the "Pretty Good Service" upgrade for $3K. Perhaps Tesla has not only been sandbagging motor output, but also customer service?

• Informative x 1