Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$2000 Acceleration Boost for Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
0-60 mph times are inaccurate by 'pocket dynos' unless you have the correct tire circumference.
ie - A 10% smaller tire will hit a reported 60mph at 54 mph.

The guy on i1 Tesla used a device not related to the tires to measure his time that was supposedly very accurate....you can take a look if you want. Anyway, he tried different tire sizes for different ET's and the lowest was 3,2 seconds.

Last month the Model 3 AWD Long Range model received an update allowing owners to pay $2000 to increase its performance 0-60 from 4.4 seconds down to 3.9 seconds.

Has anyone heard any word on a similar option being there for the Model Y? Maybe improving the AWD Long Range from 4.8 seconds to maybe 4.4 or 4.3? I'm very interested in this, but I haven't heard much talk about it...

If it was the same as the stealth / performance I would have begrudgingly paid it. At 3.9 it wasn't enough of a bump in performance, especially when people paid a similar price for stealth with better performance.

With my scheduled 6/4 delivery AWD being early enough to still have a performance VIN (5YJYGDEF6LF005xxx), I suspect I have the performance motors. Perhaps I'll be closer to the MYP 0-60 if they offer the acceleration-boost. Some other early MY are shown to have the performance 980 motors. It'll be interesting to see if the slightly later AWDs with the non Performance VINs have the 990 like the AWD M3s.

Last edited:
With my scheduled 6/4 delivery AWD being early enough to still have a performance VIN (5YJYGDEF6LF005xxx), I suspect I have the performance motors. Perhaps I'll be closer to the MYP 0-60 if they offer the acceleration-boost. Some other early MY are shown to have the performance 980 motors. It'll be interesting to see if the slightly later AWDs with the non Performance VINs have the 990 like the AWD M3s.

I questioned the same thing with my last Tesla. I saw it in the app and quite literally almost jumped on it immediately. Then I paused for a second and realized it wasn’t as fast as the Performance or even a “Stealth” 3. If it was just marginally faster I think would have just bought it.

But if you’ve got the money and it’s enough for you go for it.

I questioned the same thing with my last Tesla. I saw it in the app and quite literally almost jumped on it immediately. Then I paused for a second and realized it wasn’t as fast as the Performance or even a “Stealth” 3. If it was just marginally faster I think would have just bought it.

But if you’ve got the money and it’s enough for you go for it.

Did you really think they would sell a speed boost upgrade for a LR Dual Motor for $2000 that was as fast as the performance version of the car?

Reactions: MP3Mike
I strongly believe Tesla will offer this to MY owners. It is easy revenue, and will sell in volume compared to the PUP. I didn't see anything in the Monro videos that would lead me to believe that there is enough of a difference between MY and M3 that would prevent Tesla from offering this. I plan to purchase if it comes available, as when I owned ICE performance cars, to shave .5 seconds or greater off 0-60 time would easily cost as much, and usually (not always) decreased fuel consumption. Further, unless it was offered by the dealer (e.g., Ford Racing, Dinan from BMW), these upgrades would risk voiding the factory warranty.

Having said this, my guess is that we are at least 6-12 months away from Tesla offering an acceleration boost for the MY, because it will probably eat into PUP sales, which of course is higher revenue.

Did you really think they would sell a speed boost upgrade for a LR Dual Motor for $2000 that was as fast as the performance version of the car?

The rare Stealth Model 3’s we’re only a few thousand more when available and are faster than the Performance upgrade of the Model 3. So yes I do. It doesn’t have to be as fast as a Performance; but as fast as the previous Stealth.

Reactions: pt19713
The rare Stealth Model 3’s we’re only a few thousand more when available and are faster than the Performance upgrade of the Model 3. So yes I do. It doesn’t have to be as fast as a Performance; but as fast as the previous Stealth.

Damn not being able to edit posts.

The rare Stealth Model 3’s we’re only a few thousand more when available and are faster than the "Performance Boost" app upgrade of the Model 3. So yes I do. It doesn’t have to be as fast as a Performance; but as fast as the previous Stealth.