Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$2000 Acceleration Boost for Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As jeremymc7 mentioned above, if the M3 upgrade is any indication then yes, the $2000 upgrade will be as fast, if not faster.

I am curious where you see non performance M3's with a boost upgrade getting faster times then an actual performance M3.. Has to be some kind of bad measurement or something else going on.. No way Tesla would sell a LR car for 8000 less then a performance version, then turn around and sell a 2000 upgrade to the LR version that makes it faster.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
I am curious where you see non performance M3's with a boost upgrade getting faster times then an actual performance M3.. Has to be some kind of bad measurement or something else going on.. No way Tesla would sell a LR car for 8000 less then a performance version, then turn around and sell a 2000 upgrade to the LR version that makes it faster.

Read down further. See post #34. I correct my comment.

Proof of concept. If they can build all LR MY's exactly the same and have the distinction/price difference be a mere difference of a toggle on toolbox/account access with the occasional appearance/tire package: Why wouldn't they?

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110

Search youtube and reddit. Many more posts out there on the subject.

Maybe I missed it but it sounds like his was getting 3.5-3.6 seconds. Correct me if I am wrong but that is still slower then a M3 Performance by a good margin?
Are you not seeing the side by side race between the $2k upgraded LR AWD vs the Performance model?

zero to sixty times will vary depending on surface, tires, and other conditions, so there's going to be some range. Side by side, like the video shown, is typically a better indication. If that video doesn't change your opinion, nothing will.

My comment was also that the "Boost" to the LR AWD M3 wasn't up to the same level as the "Stealth" M3 which were out for a short time. While the Stealth isn't as fast as the Performance it "IS" faster" than the Boost.

There is no technically reason the Boost option couldn't be as fast as the Stealth but for some reason this is what Tesla did. If it was as fast I would have bought the Boost.

My comment was also that the "Boost" to the LR AWD M3 wasn't up to the same level as the "Stealth" M3 which were out for a short time. While the Stealth isn't as fast as the Performance it "IS" faster" than the Boost.

But the "stealth" Model 3 is as fast as the Performance. (It literally is a performance with smaller brakes, different wheels/tires, no spoiler, etc, but with complete track mode and all.)

There is no technically reason the Boost option couldn't be as fast as the Stealth but for some reason this is what Tesla did. If it was as fast I would have bought the Boost.

Yes there is. Not all AWD Model 3s have the performance rear motor, so they can't all support the same performance. (Early ones probably could.)

But the "stealth" Model 3 is as fast as the Performance. (It literally is a performance with smaller brakes, different wheels/tires, no spoiler, etc, but with complete track mode and all.)

Last I recall it's slightly slower. But yes it's basically performance. Also don't forget Performance is also lowered as well.

Yes there is. Not all AWD Model 3s have the performance rear motor, so they can't all support the same performance. (Early ones probably could.)

My understanding was the opposite. That all current, at least 2020, perhaps 2019 to some extent AWD M3 had same motor, inverter, etc as Performance. Which would be at least one reason the Boost add-on is available.

Are you not seeing the side by side race between the $2k upgraded LR AWD vs the Performance model?

zero to sixty times will vary depending on surface, tires, and other conditions, so there's going to be some range. Side by side, like the video shown, is typically a better indication. If that video doesn't change your opinion, nothing will.

Rolling tests like that are even more ambiguous imo.. if someone even jumped by half a second that could be a whole car length and they would look to be faster the whole video.. sorry but just watching some youtube videos doesn't prove anything. But even their numbers in their tests with actual logging hardware and software show the difference in performance. Sure temps, tires and what not matter.. but this is far from proof a LR with boost is faster then a performance model... like I said pretty sure Tesla would never do that.

Reactions: Zoomit
I thought the boosted Model 3 AWD user measured 0-60 was about the same as the original configuration Performance time claimed by Tesla, about 3.5s. But the Performance versions have been boosted now as well, and are also a little faster than claimed. There's still a good 0.5 sec between them when fairly compared.

I thought the boosted Model 3 AWD user measured 0-60 was about the same as the original configuration Performance time claimed by Tesla, about 3.5s. But the Performance versions have been boosted now as well, and are also a little faster than claimed. There's still a good 0.5 sec between them when fairly compared.

At the time the Stealth WAS about the same time as the Performance; which is why I say I would say if the Boost was the same as the Stealth I would have happily paid the $2K since I was looking for a Stealth which was $3K at the time. But since Boosted wasn’t up to Stealth, nor could I find a Stealth, I passed on the Boost option.

Here's real data of their respective power output. It would be better if this data was overlaid, but the Model 3 Performance has a clear power advantage from 0 to 120 kph [75 mph] over the AWD Boost, after which both cars appear pretty close.

HYNPi0i.png

piOvGiw.png

Source: Model 3 AWD+ (w/Accel. Boost) - Power vs. Speed vs. State of Charge : teslamotors

Reactions: pt19713